Falkland Islands

I was around when it all went down. Maggie and Ronnie were best of friends. When it kicked off, Americans were glued to their televisions. When you guys won, we all celebrated. We paid attention to all activities. We enjoyed side tales of Mountain soldiers taking out Argentinian peak outposts and the straight on battles of the paras. Well done, brothers.

Attachments

"Q!" "Q!" "I think we need to do a stock check on the Brasso Q."

I was around when it all went down. Maggie and Ronnie were best of friends. When it kicked off, Americans were glued to their televisions. When you guys won, we all celebrated. We paid attention to all activities. We enjoyed side tales of Mountain soldiers taking out Argentinian peak outposts and the straight on battles of the paras. Well done, brothers.
Reported.
See what I did there...

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
When I first heard about the invasion on the news, my first thought was: Falkland Islands? Must be somewhere off the Scottish coast, so how the fück did the Argies get up there without anybody noticing?

MsG

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I first heard about the invasion on the news, my first thought was: Falkland Islands? Must be somewhere off the Scottish coast, so how the fück did the Argies get up there without anybody noticing?

MsG
Just before you were called up to go down there eh?

MsG
How did the local news (in East Germany) report that?

I’m so relieved!

Couldn’t sleep last night as I was worrying that ARRSE was short of Falkland Islands threads.

BZ to the O.P.

I was on leave after a Norway deployment and after returning from a dinnertime sesh my dad had the tv on and he pointed out that the Argies had invaded and Royal was surrounded. He said will "you be going son?" I outlined that there must be loads of units on standby (Spearhead etc etc) for such an occasion before they would need us..... Just then a knock on the door turned out to be the local police stating I'd been recalled to the unit ... Que mother crying and an offer from the officer of a lift to the station, I told him I would get the last train back to Gus tonight as it would take a few days to gather the unit from all over the country on leave... That last train back was full of drunked mates who had the same idea....

Couple of days later I was changing the bushses on an 81mm morter (from arctic to temperate) fighting with the bypod was like fighting an octopus when the CO came around on a moral boosting tour (as we had been watch on stop on preping) he asked was I going down south with the unit and said I no as the QM was only taking two from the shop. I told him that I was pissed off not going as I was going outside later in the year
( the QM jumped in stating I'd had a good run out of the corps, para course etc.) The CO said he didnt think it would come to fighting but if it did the unit would probably need battle field replacements at short notice and could I leave a short notice if needed, was I married? I said I was married to the corps sir.
The RSM shook his head and they all left.
Next morning as I was opening the shop up a shout from the QM's office " Marine ******, get your kit packed, your going.." seems the CO requested my presence......

I was on leave after a Norway deployment and after returning from a dinnertime sesh my dad had the tv on and he pointed out that the Argies had invaded and Royal was surrounded. He said will "you be going son?" I outlined that there must be loads of units on standby (Spearhead etc etc) for such an occasion before they would need us..... Just then a knock on the door turned out to be the local police stating I'd been recalled to the unit ... Que mother crying and an offer from the officer of a lift to the station, I told him I would get the last train back to Gus tonight as it would take a few days to gather the unit from all over the country on leave... That last train back was full of drunked mates who had the same idea....

Couple of days later I was changing the bushses on an 81mm morter (from arctic to temperate) fighting with the bypod was like fighting an octopus when the CO came around on a moral boosting tour (as we had been watch on stop on preping) he asked was I going down south with the unit and said I no as the QM was only taking two from the shop. I told him that I was pissed off not going as I was going outside later in the year
( the QM jumped in stating I'd had a good run out of the corps, para course etc.) The CO said he didnt think it would come to fighting but if it did the unit would probably need battle field replacements at short notice and could I leave a short notice if needed, was I married? I said I was married to the corps sir.
The RSM shook his head and they all left.
Next morning as I was opening the shop up a shout from the QM's office " Marine ******, get your kit packed, your going.." seems the CO requested my presence......
Bickliegh?

Was it spider who thought the Falklands was as flat as a billiards table?

You were 10 at the time?