Discussion in 'Sappers' started by staaken, Oct 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Luck to Roger, Kev and the BACTEC team, along with the DPO.
    Tread safe, fellas.

Falklands : Falklands are "Go" for Demining
    Submitted by Falkland Islands News Network (Juanita Brock) 13.10.2009 (Current Article)

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has announced that BACTEC International Limited has been chosen to carry out the Falkland Islands de-mining project.

After a rigorous procurement process which included three other strong bidders the British company was selected. BACTEC has experience of working in over 40 countries and has a strong track record in safety. Their management team are familiar with the Falkland Islands, having been deployed here previously. The contract was signed on Friday 9 October at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

BACTEC’s team is expected to arrive in late October and clearance of four sites at Surf Bay, Sapper Hill, Goose Green and Fox Bay (East) is likely to start in November.

The project is expected to conclude by the end of the austral summer. Their team of 36 Zimbabwean de-miners have all worked for BACTEC on a number of mine clearance projects, most recently in Lebanon. Project Manager, Roger Gagen, and his Operating Manager, Kevin Bryant, both of whom have served in the Falkland Islands as part of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) detachment, will run the project from offices in Stanley.

DPO (De-mining Project Office), already established at Tenacres, located south of Stanley, will exercise quality control over BACTEC’s de-mining activities to ensure that they meet the standards required.
  2. I wasn't having a pop mate, just pointing you to the other thread. You're right about the good luck thing!
  3. Yes, best of luck to both.

Kev, keep in touch mate and leave the penguins alone!
  4. or at least take the silver wrapper paper off before you eat them :D
  5. Are the argies providing the maps....?
  6. It should be a good project with no bullsh*t thrown in by stupid made up Mine Action Centre rules every other day, the DPO is headed by a Very good guy who knows his mines and ordnance probably better than anyone Worldwide, he is also one of the Janes' Series of Books Authors and is also former 33 EOD.
  7. That will be K13 then.
  8. K13EOD is with the demining company carrying out the clearance... the DPO will be carrying out the QC to make sure Bactecs' clearance activities meet the International Mine Action Standards: http://www.mineactionstandards.org/imas.htm
  9. Gunders! How the devil, Sir?
    Hear hear on "made up Mine Action Centres". I'm sure all of us in this game have come across an example or two.
    The bloke running the local QA in a certain "large well known African country" recently asked one of my very experienced Tech Advisers on a Cluster Strike BAC task visit,
    "now, Mr TA, take out your compass and show me how to find North".
    After enquiring if he himself needed any Map Reading instruction, my TA took out his 4 compasses and asked this UN idiot if he would like "Yugo, Israeli, Soviet or Brit north?" This was a guy who had clearly bluffed his way into the QA job, and seemed to be picking it up as he went along.
    He'll go far in the UN! The chopper.
  10. Staaken,

I was meaning their rules but I know exactly where youa re coming from! what a bone question to come up with by the so called QA Officer!!! some of these think they are in the job to try and put a spanner in the works on any demining project instead of asking relevant questions and making constructive suggestions that would help the demining organisation and not try and rip what they are doing apart, I believe the F.I. project will go really well as the DPO and the clearance company are both headed by decent people who know what they are doing and are able to talk to each other.
  11. I originally read this as "Demeaning" and not Demining

Good luck to all concerned
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Waste of money, yes it should be done but its not really urgent in comparisom to other places is it? Either way good luck!

Edited to add that had a decent UK gov signed us up the treaty would have had an urgency clause and not a tree huggers one. Fecking neu arbeit again!