Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Falkland Islanders believe UK defence cuts leave them safe from Argentine threat

But in any case, if you're saying that in ten years with F35 everything will be fine again, you'd be admitting it ain't OK now. As for the idea that it will take Argentine "at least a decade to come up with something" - that's all right then isn't it!

No, I'm saying they are alright now (In a military sense) as Argentina's military is currently a shambles (Ours arguably is as well- but not nearly to the same extent. They are basically stuck in 1982). In ten years we will have 5th Gen stealth fighters to tackle anything that the Argentine's might have by then. Even then, Argentina has shown very little signs of wanting to re-militarise.

And this is assuming Argentina even wants to try anything on.

Now I agree with you that they are far more vulnerable economically from Argentina. But I don't see how thats something that can be solved militarily, so I don't see why an upping of the garrison is neccesary at this stage. Subsequently, I don't think its good grounds to argue for the carriers at the moment either. IF Argentina starts re-militarising then I might agree.

There are far more pressing concerns then Argentina, and far better reasons to keep a decent carrier fleet then the Falklands.

Even if, against the odds, Argentina did try something on militarily, aside from the current garrison we have got the Astute Class subs which I think is deterrent enough. And after Argentina's experience with the Belgrano you can guarantee that that's something they aren't taking lightly.

Hang on a second Finn, I'm not arguing for increasing MPA - just not axing the Harriers until there's something else, using the Falklands situation as one example of why current Harrier / Carrier policy is nonsense. I think we agree on this.

I suggest thinking about why we have military forces in the first place - and it's not to fight wars, but to persuade others to leave you alone... Like I said - it's important not to make cuts that ring those little "bells of opportunity". I like the Argentinians; and think that more involvement with the Falklands would be a good thing - but not if anything's going to be imposed which is how, sadly, Buenos Aires seems to think. Their air force did an excellent job in 1982, brave, determined, learning rapidly from mistakes, and very dangerous; so if they're still at that level, it's not terribly encouraging.

Argentina is doubling their defence budget from **** all to peanuts.
its mostly going on wages.
no new planes some patrol boats and a couple of helicopters that's about it.
some wibble about nuclear powered ships but even argies are laughing at that one.