Falconry, Dead or Alive Again?

ugly

LE
Thats if you can put up with Bill freakin oddie the sanctimonious twitcher!

Gremlin said:
ugly said:
I can put up with quite a lot, if I get to watch Kate Humble as well ;)
Yes, but it's better to turn off the sound too! I wonder if I could design a program for my computer that could filter out Bill Oddie and leave the fair Kate behind!

Some unusual footage on there in the last few days; a rabbit attacking a tawny owl chick, an adult tawny attacking a fox (bravo, Strix!) and a duck deliberately hitting a swan right in the back of the neck! Don't watch this programme if you don't like blood sports! Nature red in tooth and claw.

I understand that falconry is a VERY high maintenance activity. Don't start unless you have lots of spare time!

Litotes

Litotes said:
Gremlin said:
ugly said:
Yes, but it's better to turn off the sound too! I wonder if I could design a program for my computer that could filter out Bill Oddie and leave the fair Kate behind!

Some unusual footage on there in the last few days; a rabbit attacking a tawny owl chick, an adult tawny attacking a fox (bravo, Strix!) and a duck deliberately hitting a swan right in the back of the neck! Don't watch this programme if you don't like blood sports! Nature red in tooth and claw.

I understand that falconry is a VERY high maintenance activity. Don't start unless you have lots of spare time!

Litotes
I saw those; The Rabbit v The Owlette was a classic, the baby was doing more pogo jumps than a buck rabbit trying to get it's leg over. And I bet the swan had a sore head for a few days after Mrs Shelduck pulled off that great attack.

PS- how is the Combat Wol? r u lerning it bunie killing yet m8? ;)

I Thought that I would post some pictures from a BBQ at Bilsey Yesterday.

The Bald Eagle was brought along by Eagle Heights, is called Alaska, is 15 years old, and has been trained to hand for the last four years!

A very good all round demo given including some other birds, and the pictures should show whether a bird would be capable of taking a fox, or not!

The website is very informative and the courses seem good value; a 5 day falconry course is £430!

and now Alaska:

The 3rd picture has some rather interesting background scenery!!!!

Litotes said:
Gremlin said:
ugly said:

Litotes
Wise words Litotes - it is.

Anyone around here know,or study falconry under, Philip Glasier? A real original, sadly missed.

Gremlin said:
Litotes said:
Gremlin said:
ugly said:

Litotes
I saw those; The Rabbit v The Owlette was a classic, the baby was doing more pogo jumps than a buck rabbit trying to get it's leg over. And I bet the swan had a sore head for a few days after Mrs Shelduck pulled off that great attack.

PS- how is the Combat Wol? r u lerning it bunie killing yet m8? ;)
Strix is on hs combat wol cse soon - hes out al hrs @ nite wi his bergen trg for the cse. Will kp u infod.

Lits

metellus cimber

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Caubeen is not quite correct. Mark Allen is not (not) a pen-name. He is Sir Mark Allen, a former senior SIS (MI6) Officer who is a distinguished Arabist, a falconer and was a friend of Robert Nairac at Oxford.

Caubeen is not quite correct. Mark Allen is not (not) a pen-name. He is Sir Mark Allen, a former senior SIS (MI6) Officer who is a distinguished Arabist, a falconer and was a friend of Robert Nairac at Oxford.
And you have waited 8 years to tell us all that.....

Edited for forgetting what year we are in now.....