Falconer denies need for electoral reform

There will be two hot potatoes at the next election - electoral reform and pensions. It is time to take a stand on electoral reform and to build a cross-party single-issue movement that pledges only to support a party backing voting reform.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/queensspeech2005/story/0,16013,1483765,00.html

Queen's Speech will include bill to improve postal voting

Michael White, political editor
Saturday May 14, 2005
The Guardian

The government rejected demands yesterday for a review of the way MPs are elected in the wake of last week's general election, which left Tony Blair's third Commons majority resting on 36% of a 61% voter turnout.

Supporters of proportional representation in all parties joined longstanding campaigners for electoral reform to argue that the results on May 5 showed that the first-past-the-post system produced a skewed result that did not represent the views of the country.

Yesterday Mr Blair's close ally, Lord Falconer, took his cue from the prime minister when he told reporters: "I am not sure there is widespread discontent with the way the electoral system works. It's worked for some time and I am not sure there is pressure for a change."
At his monthly Downing St press conference this week Mr Blair said "the problem with PR systems is that you can often have a result where a small party actually holds the balance of power, that's unfair as well".

He said voters had got what they roughly wanted last week: a Labour government, but with fewer MPs.

MrPVRd said:
Yesterday Mr Blair's close ally, Lord Falconer, took his cue from the prime minister when he told reporters: "I am not sure there is widespread discontent with the way the electoral system works. It's worked for some time and I am not sure there is pressure for a change."

Think that will change when Service voters have their say - will have to do it after the election; most of those with postal votes couldn't vote as a large proportion of them were deployed on Bliar's unjust war.

Well, he's Tony's old flatmate and is his crony-appointee, so he would say that, wouldn't he?