Faked Car/Van service parts.

Truxx

LE
Main cause of a misfire in the 1970s was, in no particular order:

Failed HT leads
Tracking across the distributor cap (sometimes hard to spot)
Worn / eroded / tracking rotor arms
Condensers
Clogged carb jets

From experience of working with my dad who was a motor mechanic. One of the first things we did with any car that came in was to fit a cheap aftermarket fuel filter upstream of the fuel lift pump, or if that was too difficult, then between the fuel pump and the carb(s).

Oh, and the knock-off parts also extends to Amazon, especially electronic goods.
We used to look for tracking on dark wet nights (quite common in these parts) Run the engine, lift the bonnet in the dark and look/listen

Truxx

LE
I have a large cache of new old stock BMC and mowog stuff
I shall start selling it soon, I bought the contents of a village garage in case I could use any bits for my oxford

I have enough rotor arms, fuel pumps dynamos regulator boxes and lamps to see me out
If you need a home for it all we will have the lot off you.

Same with any old stuff, particularly if boxed. Although hopefully the right boxes. We did an engine for a Standard 12. Don't worry said the customers, set of plus 40 pistons here...Well it might have said they were plus 40 pistons for a Standard on the box but they were not plus 40 pistons, let alone for a Standard.

Not cars, or life critical really, but an indicator of how prevalent copying, and piracy is: I was at a large gun show loitering on the Zeiss stand which was manned by a couple of German ex-military snipey type chaps I know. A whole team of around half a dozen Chinese converge on the stand and surround the latest multi-thousand pound telescopic sight developed for military use. One of them whips out a small video camera and goes over every surface of the scope recording it for, presumably, his family album. When he had finished another one whips out something that looked like a hand held laser scanner and did the same...............whilst this was going on I said to my mates, "are you not going to fcek them off"? I was told that there was no point as they would only come back individually, and repetitively until they had what they wanted, and to expect to see knock offs of the item on alibaba within the month.
I work in the EdTech sector and see that a lot at trade shows both here and in the US. Lots of Chinese companies you've never heard of exhibiting with second rate prodcuts you wouldn't touch all seeing what the west is producing. They have no intention of selling theirs here, but the Asian market is huge and they make plenty of cash here.
When the show finishes they either try and sell the kit they bought with them very cheap (the Chinese govt will pay for shipping out, but not back) or simply abandon the stand with all the kit on there.
Most working in tech won't touch shonky products knowingly.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
If you need a home for it all we will have the lot off you.

Same with any old stuff, particularly if boxed. Although hopefully the right boxes. We did an engine for a Standard 12. Don't worry said the customers, set of plus 40 pistons here...Well it might have said they were plus 40 pistons for a Standard on the box but they were not plus 40 pistons, let alone for a Standard.
I will ping you a list when I get it typed up
its all cheap
cash only
I only wanted a handful of parts but had to but the lot
there are hundreds of bearings all boxed going back 80 years

I work in the EdTech sector and see that a lot at trade shows both here and in the US. Lots of Chinese companies you've never heard of exhibiting with second rate prodcuts you wouldn't touch all seeing what the west is producing. They have no intention of selling theirs here, but the Asian market is huge and they make plenty of cash here.
When the show finishes they either try and sell the kit they bought with them very cheap (the Chinese govt will pay for shipping out, but not back) or simply abandon the stand with all the kit on there.
Most working in tech won't touch shonky products knowingly.

The trick with the Chinese ( Asians generally) producers from what I know and saw at shooting, and outdoor trade shows, and a couple of major motorcycle shows is to haggle the price at the start of the show. Then you place your business card inside the product so they know who is going to have it at the end of the show. I have never bought anything, but I know plenty who have........the stuff is just horrible.

Latest Threads