Faked Car/Van service parts.

As i used to do. I stupidly used to have faith in human nature.
Not anymore, thousands pounds worth of tools stolen, mostly very expensive Snap on.
I now only buy cheapish tools.
Like wise - Ive found Halfords proffessional ratchet has lasted me for years (both in durability and they dont walk)
Cheap doesnt last - Even cheap halfords is intended for occasional.

Obviously some snap ons inevitable - few manufacturers go down to 1/8th inch spanner or socket and yes dropping the nuts a cnut because it feels like every other bit of grit - dust dead insect etc

Truxx

LE
I can’t remember which car it is, but there is some very rare exotic thing (Bugatti T35 maybe?) where more of them currently exist than complete cars ever actually left the factory.
Pre war supercharged MGs.

The knock off market is immense. Just because it says Lucas on the box does not mean that it is lucas I the box...

But my best counterfeit story comes from my time in Baghdad. I n order not to draw too much power from the local grid Uncle Sam installed big generators. The one we had was powered by a massive V12 - the CV12 of Rolls Royce (well Perkins anyway) and Challenger 2 fame. Only our was a dog, and fan turbochargers into the ground in no time at all, spewing oil everywhere. Or engineer chief was a US Airforce Sgt who really knew her stuff, but after getting fobbed off by Halliburton over their inability to get spare parts I told her to contact Perkins direct for some advice and, hopefully spares.

So she did. Having given Perkins the details, engine number etc she was a bit surprised to discover that they had no record of it, but instead the whole thing was a Chinese knock off.

Oh and my current fave is rotor arms. Back in the 70s I can never, ever, recall having to change a rotor arm. Points yes, even distributor caps. But rotor arms, never. These daysif someone has ignition problems on their classic it is the first thing I go to, normally saying "you have changed the rotor arm then" normally followed by them saying "how do you know?"

Like wise - Ive found Halfords proffessional ratchet has lasted me for years (both in durability and they dont walk)
Cheap doesnt last - Even cheap halfords is intended for occasional.

Obviously some snap ons inevitable - few manufacturers go down to 1/8th inch spanner or socket and yes dropping the nuts a cnut because it feels like every other bit of grit - dust dead insect etc
Had two snap on metric quarter drive socket sets, nicked and one blue point imperial one.
Probably about four hundred quid in total along with sh*tloads of other stuff
I only buy cheap now. the lifetime guarantee does not make economic sense once you take into account the thieving.
I once found a quarter drive ratchet under the bonnet of a car and after a service, it turned out to be a blinder.
Facom.
Although i think they are French so I felt dirty every time i used it.

It’s utterly shocking how endemic fake parts are

Even down to actual bearings.

My rule of thumb is now that anything new on eBay is probably fake

My son bought a new alternator last week for his Nissan Murano from e bay and it lasted 4 days

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A few years back, well at least 15 , i had a problem with lamps failing prematurely
the miniature fluorescent 2D type 4 pin
I had ordered them from our supplier, and luckily, each time I fitted one I marked the date and my initials with a Steinel permanent marker with a fine point
turned out, some one had done a deal over buying another suppliers stock who were going to the wall
guess why
cheap Chinese knock off rubbish
it cost the wholesaler a lot of money, they sent an engineer along from the manufactures , he said it was very difficult to spot with the naked eye, but all of my unused stock was fake
replaced with no fuss
luckily i kept good records

WE generally seem to have lost the skill to repair faulty kit , and part changing has become the normal

I am selling my motorhome at the moment , found the extractor fan over the hob was f ucked , new one from Frankia 90 squid, took the offending item out (TBF it never worked since we bought it) , the motor was seized . quick soak with WD40 , leave it for an hour test and rebuild it, Bobs your mums bro!

For my sins , I worked for a couple of years with the Yanks in Germany, after one particular shouting match with the Brit supervisor ( "I was a corporal , my tiffy used to f uck off and leave me to run the place when he was away running or doing sport , I'm good me etc etc" ... Me " Yes It's what you are supposed to be able to do when you're a full screw is it not? "
I got sent to the Fuel and electric repair shop (appearently a punishment) within a week me and Robby the other unwanted chap were going at it hell for leather , he had no clue , so I took him under my wing , and appart from being a total stoner , he was quite a capable young lad ....We got asked to go in to see the Warrant Officer , who told us to slow down , we were moving about 30 crew heaters starter motors or generator a day between us , there were another 10 yank junior ranks , , they were turning over 20 a week collectively... usually if there was a problem they'd wander over and ask "Mr Gordon" for a bit of assistance

It was one of the best places I ever worked the Seniors loved us , the juniors held us in awe, I even went down to the rathaus when the first Sergeant Ski married his Polish girlfriend , and was invited to go over to Poland for the formal wedding , often we'd meet up in the EMs club was good for Robby the stoner , he was nineteen and they'd not serve him drinks so he sponged off everyone else,

Fact was ,reclamation and repair is now a bit of a lost skill, because we have become a change it and chuck it away society

so no sympathy if you get shite parts off Ebay... then again , sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy parts , but a bit of research first always helps
Maybe , visit your local motor factors and get an account and your parts there , I still have an open account (30 plus years) and the guys deliver to my house now i am retired

Just a heads up chaps.
I'm a Forum Member of a popular Car Club of a marque than spans 30 years, with hundreds of the early 90's vehicles still in daily use, of which 2 are my own.
It's come to light, together with other fake import parts, that cheap packs of Duracell "plipper" batteries on Fleabite are nowt of the sort, and indeed some are leaking pronto resulting in permanent damage to the keyless leccies in the fobs.
Other issues of fakes include Champion plugs ( not NGK to our current info) have a habit of dropping the electrodes...on to piston crowns etc. Not great.
Then there are spurious water pumps (part of the Cambelt/Water Pump Mk5/Roadster mid-life 50k Big Service) whose plastic vanes known to dissolve over a good while.. They are painted to look like alloy!
Brake parts are another big issue...duff pads that laminate off the backings and dodgy cheaper cast iron rotors boxed as the real deal.
From what I gather, it's an issue which is escalating as people try to economise by doing more themselves in this current climate of general financial phuckeduppieness.
Extra Caveat Emptor then. However, it's also surprising how genuine OEM parts are interchangeable across ranges eg VAG with huge price variances.....with the same part numbers. I'd expect some back street garages will be making a good coin from it all and were for years. Just the way it goes.
Like I say...just a head up. So easy to ruin a good car.
Same with motorcycles. I bought a replacement gearchange for my old bike. It was probably made of the finest Edam, and I stamped it too enthusiastically into first and broke it.

Back to an OEM lever for me.

Don't get me started on the fake Brembo caliper covers the spotty twats in clapped out Fiestas stick on.

Pre war supercharged MGs.

The knock off market is immense. Just because it says Lucas on the box does not mean that it is lucas I the box...

According to many it is only a real Lucas component if it comes with some ready to use pre-packed smoke in the box.

Yokel

LE
Buying parts off eBay and then wondering why they may not be the real deal? Surely this should be no surprise - there is no means of establishing an audit trail. As an engineering student, I heard woeful tales of purchasers deciding to source components from vendors that could provide them cheaply, only to find all sorts of technical failures.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I can’t remember which car it is, but there is some very rare exotic thing (Bugatti T35 maybe?) where more of them currently exist than complete cars ever actually left the factory.
The owners club cast blocks and heads for them plus many more parts, all made to a very high standard, however one rotten car often ends up as 3
A few years back I went up to the old ullenwood camp to have a motorcycle frame repaired
The welder fabricator was old school and highly skilled
On a set of trestles was a rusty chassis for a de dion bouton 2 seater
On the floor was the seat and a few body parts
The origional chassis was bent and corroded, this is a pre great war car
He had fabricated a new chassis, folding the steel channel himself, made a new cruciform and hot riveted it all together
Then brazed new brackets on coach painted it and riveted on the origional chassis plate
The carpenter next door had produced a new body to match the rotten old one
New seats had been made
And the coach builder down the road had made wings bonnet scuttles running boards and firewall and fuel tank
An engine and gearbox sat on the floor, along with several others, ready to make one good one
Even the wheels had been made w
By a master craftsmen in wood
A month later on my next visit, it was all up and running complete with period registration
As a Brighton runner that was a valuable car, the garage that owned it, one of those deerstalker wearing mine host fellows had already sold it long before completion for a very tidy profit

Looking at the pile of bits all stacked outside on a pallet
Including the rusty chassis, I asked why he had not cut it up???
Aaah he looks around
The owner of the garage will sit on that lot for a few years, buy a few more bits from auction use a chassis plate he found at a sale and in 3 years it will appear as a barn find and fetch 10 grand
Apparently it happens with motorcycles as well

The faking of aircraft parts is pretty large business and, more recently, fake dentistry tools coming into the supply chain has come to light which has had some disastrous consequences.
I dare say that @Fang_Farrier has more awareness of this.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The faking of aircraft parts is pretty large business and, more recently, fake dentistry tools coming into the supply chain has come to light which has had some disastrous consequences.
I dare say that @Fang_Farrier has more awareness of this.

Some big ticket items such as hand held xray machines that had totally inadequate cladding and thus very dangerous to the user.
From 2014, so not new.

Blogg

LE
There is fuzzy line between fake and genuine (as in actually from the claimed maker) but utterly shit parts.

Extends from engine oil, where low spec. stuff gets repackaged and sold as expensive full synthetic by eBay chancers to the utter ********* who were selling fake airbags into the repair market

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh and my current fave is rotor arms. Back in the 70s I can never, ever, recall having to change a rotor arm. Points yes, even distributor caps. But rotor arms, never. These daysif someone has ignition problems on their classic it is the first thing I go to, normally saying "you have changed the rotor arm then" normally followed by them saying "how do you know?"
Main cause of a misfire in the 1970s was, in no particular order:

Failed HT leads
Tracking across the distributor cap (sometimes hard to spot)
Worn / eroded / tracking rotor arms
Condensers
Clogged carb jets

From experience of working with my dad who was a motor mechanic. One of the first things we did with any car that came in was to fit a cheap aftermarket fuel filter upstream of the fuel lift pump, or if that was too difficult, then between the fuel pump and the carb(s).

Oh, and the knock-off parts also extends to Amazon, especially electronic goods.

Latest Threads