Fairbairn Sykes

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Spanish_Dave, Aug 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi all, I have been fortunate to come across one of these daggers, it is stamped Made in Sheffield with a crows foot on it and in A1 condition, I dont think it is original but can anyone enlighten me, I have done a search and looked at other posts and on ebay, a little help would be good, no flamers or slagging down please, its a nice blade and I am only asking

2. Spanish_Dave

Trevelez thanks for the spelling tip mate, that looks exactly like the blade I have but it looks on the pic on that site as if there is an nsn or something stamped on the blade? :?

3. An WW2 blade would be pre-NATO, so no NSN.

Great blade, btw.

4. I remeber them being issued in 1992. it was more of an experiment by the storeman to see if we could get them, we did.
    no I'm not an underwater knifefighter, nor did I large it with it on my webbing.
    Mine was sat on a shelf in my locker for a few years until i gave it away.

5. Current UK production of those knives comes from the last remaining wartime manufacturer. I believe they are also the only people left with permssion to make that model. Modern production examples have unmarked blades but crossed key symbol on the handle above the guard. The guard itself is marked with a crow's foot and 'Sheffield England'. The handle is ribbed metal.

I suspect you have a modern example that I estimate is worth about £20.00 as new ones go for £30.00 to £40.00 depending on retailer. Prices are likely to rise soon as steel has gone up (thanks China).

Take a look at http://www.ukkitmonster.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=189

Nice find whatever the provenance. KM

6. Current UK production of those knives comes from the last remaining wartime manufacturer. I believe they are also the only people left with permssion to make that model. Modern production examples have unmarked blades but crossed key symbol on the handle above the guard. The guard itself is marked with a crow's foot and 'Sheffield England'. The handle is ribbed metal.

I suspect you have a modern example that I estimate is worth about £20.00 as new ones go for £30.00 to £40.00 depending on retailer. Prices are likely to rise soon as steel has gone up (thanks China).

Take a look at http://www.ukkitmonster.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=189

Nice find whatever the provenance. KM

7. they are pretty pointless unless you going to go off and kill sentrys with them :twisted:

8. Spanish_Dave

Thanks for the replys fellas, the blade is a beauty, I might as well be a decent citizen and take it to the police station

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well seduce my aging footwear - I have one of these, with the cross keys emblem on the handle, but NO GUARD and the handle itself is ridged metal, copper in colour rather than black. No sheath for it.

I had it from my brother and didn't ask too closely where he'd got it.

I can recall new ones for sale in London in the late 1980s and I note the Actionson site here on ARRSE does them too.

As you say, prolly a modern 'tribute' copy - worth hanging on to or ebay ?

G'man

10. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I too have an example like you describe.

"Made in Sheffield" with the Crows foot stamp.

I was told by a good source that in 1992 the MoD needed a number of knives for issue to certain troops. ;) They approached Wilkinson Sword but wilkinson couldn't produce them so went to another maker. Those knives were marked as described above. Don't know if it's true, he had no reason to make it up, but the knife is well made as is the sheath to the same quality and style as the WW2 production.

11. I had a "pusser's issue" one in the mid eighties but the quality of the sheath was cack. The handle is coppery and after wear and tear starts to show through the backing.

12. Spanish_Dave

I am having it mounted and put over the bed then next time I am snoring Q2 will think twice about giving me a dig :lol:

13. I have one with

A Wright
    & Son Ltd
    Sheffield
    England

Stamped on it
    Not that old I dont think, no crows foot that I can see

14. apprantly a load were made up in 82 for the sas but went missing en route shiny shiny piece of kit :twisted:
    they do look cool had one as a cadet for awhile but can't really use them for anything useful ultimate walt thing really :evil: