Fairbairn-Sykes For Beginners

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Divvy_Civvy, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been given a new black F-S as a present. The problem is, it's completely blunt! It hasn't even been factory sharpened.

Any advice on how I can sharpen this up?
    (I'm only used to using hand-held sharpeners in the kitchen!)
  2. Get a good,propper oil stone, and some elbow grease
  3. Find a proper knife dealer and get it re-ground. Then when it comes back have a look on YouTube for some knife sharpening videos, get a stone and some water and crack on. You'll be shaving with it in no time.
  4. It depends if it is a real FS or not, I still have my grandfathers and I keep it sharp. If it's a modern copy it's probably gash.

Agree with the above, get it reground and get yourself a decent sharpening system.
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I'm sure the issue ones are factory sharpened, then re-blued.

Although why on earth you'd want a FS, let alone a sharp one, for anything other than "Stabbing the Hun" are beyond me.
  6. they are still apprantly in the system so if you can get a bored QM to ask for some. you can keep the medical centre amused for some time as they patch toms up who've just discovered how sharp they are :roll: :D
  7. Don't bother, you're a civvy, the only conceivable use you could put it to is as a letter opener.
  8. (NOWAH)

I thought that the edges were meant to be blunt and only the point very sharp as Fairbairn was keen on stabbing the Hun rather than cutting/slashing him...
  9. I hope you've perfected your kick in the balls and eye gouge prior to moving on to weaponry
  10. Well, I'm definitely proficient with the chin jab and tiger's claw - Fairbairn definitely knew his stuff!

(Although I don't get enough opportunity to use the edge of hand blow!)

As for the sharpening, it's about completeness. I'd feel unhappy if the blade just sat there blunt. It would just keep nagging at me.

[Further blade info: it was made by a company simply called "Sheffield" and was purchased from Heinnie Haynes]
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

They are still produced by at least one of the original manufacturers, though as I understand it, they are no longer issued to anyone in the forces.

If you have a desperate urge to sharpen it, buy some V80 oil for honing, and a decent multi-grade set of whetstones . . . . oh, and a hot blueing kit to replace what you take off.

Actually, probably best just to leave it if it's new.

Edited to add: aaah fcuk! I've just read the previous post and realised I'be been wahhhed!
  12. Just out of curiousity, who were the orginal manufacturers?
    I have one stamped-
    A Wright & Son

Know nothing about it and always assumed its a recent copy
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

A believe that A Wright & Sons was one, and J Nowill & Sons was/is another. Altogether, I think there were 3 or 4 companies producing these knives. J Nowill & Sons still produce them with the arrow and crossed keys symbols on them.

There's numerous versions out there, most of which are actually legitimate, despite the variance in the hilt design, materials and blade finishes. The ones that have the value of course are those original, original designs issued and used during the war.

Here's a couple of links that might be of mild interest:

Fighting Knives.info

Another site
  14. Cheers Biped, much appreciated.
    Had it for years and always wondered but never got round to checking (you know how it goes)

Reading the 2nd link, people don't actually pay that kind of money for them do they?
  15. Found an original 1st pattern Fairbairn Sykes in my Grandads toolbox a few years back, with the 'S' shaped guard and the scored grip. The only problem was the blade was snapped off halfway up. Much cussing ensued, as for a second i thought i'd hit the jackpot!