Fair opportunities in Gurkha Regiments

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Royal_Signals, Jan 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard that within the Gurkha Regiments FAVOURITISM plays a vital role, how far is it true...........????????any takers? i

2. You have not heard wrong. I was in the Brigade of Gurkhas for 9 years. It is very much true that most of the British and Gurkha Officers and Senior Ranks do play this game. Very often most capable soldiers are missed out in promotion and other opportunities. In my opinion Gurkha Officers are the worst. I suppose it is like in any other organisation, human natue comes into play. I see this in my current place of work too. Ass lickers usually move ahead of others.

The most senior Gurkha Officer in a Gurkha Regiment is a Major. He is always looking for that honorary rank on his retirement and does not stop licking the boots until his last day in the service. The British know how to keep people in their toes.

I had a quiet tough time with one of the British Officers (Captain). I refused to lick his boot and he picked on me. I could not do a great deal at time but I wish I could meet him now. But there were very good British Officers and Senior Ranks too who always had the best interest of the soldiers in their hearts. But others came to the Gurkha Regiment to enjoy the experience of Raj.

3. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Sound the Wahlarms?

Either that, or R_S is a journo?

4. Is there an "internal" promotion regime...yes. But then its to be expected. You will always have the GF!

5. Well, Nepali applicants seem to be in a majority...

6. Huge generalisations here. From my experience, the same procedures are in place across the BofG as anywhere else in the Army. Certainly within QG SIGNALS, grading boards are conducted at Sqn & Regt level outside of the QG SIGNALS RHQ to ensure that reports are written fairly. Grading boards are then conducted at RHQ QG SIGNALS when part 3 of reports have to be written (mainly on Cpls and above). The same procedures are used for promotion as they are used at Glasgow for any internal promotion boards or grading boards.

Bottom line is that if you give your reporting officer something to write on you invariably your report will stand out. Be the grey man and you'll get a grey report. If your a Brit in a Gurkha unit, and you compete then invariably you should do well.

7. Agree with Bowman there is no or less favouritism in Gurkha units. What can occur is that sometimes issues of caste / family origin may surface, but that occurs equally in other organisations with such things as regional accents.

8. Bow_Man
    thanx for the update. But sadly, what i've heard is QGS is the most relevant regiment in this matter. like The Goose has said, issues of Caste and regional considerations...wot about it????

9. Most QGS Squadron are manned to near as damn it 50/50 split in terms of Easterners and Westerners (last time I actually looked which was approx 4 years ago - I have no reason to suspect it will be any different now).

What do you know about the different castes?

My experience is that East / West Rai / Gurung / Tamang / Rana / Thapa / Limbu or whatever makes little difference within the Regiment.

Would you like to declare your hand so that I can let you know more accurately about the issue that you may be having/thinking of having? If you are talking about opportunities given by Gurung Officers to a Rai soldiers or Rai officers to Gurung soldiers - I happen to know that my Sqn Comds language teacher was Rai (easterner) put forward by a Gurung (westerner). He promoted before leaving the unit - based no doubt on the work he did with the OC but also on his ability as a soldier and tradesman.

Also all QGS Signallers have to complete a Cadre course before being eligible for promotion - these are done in their parent unit (2, 22 and 30)and reported on against all their UK and Gurkha peers by the Regt Training Officer. I would suggest that on these courses that Gurkhas do have an advantage having done a much longer infantry based basic training, but equally it is not unheard of for brits to dominate the higher gradings!

10. It’s already clear that the depth of your (both Bow_man & Royal_Signals) understanding in this issue is by far better than what mine is. I beleive that i wont be wrong to make some comments on what i know and heard as i have been part of QGS in the past. I am only following the "Hear/Say" method to bring this Topic into forum so that I can educate myself further or help you both in coming into the conclusion. I consider myself as an amateur researcher on this subject and have invested some time in finding out the facts and figures on this, specifically QGS.
    Coming to your point (Bow_man), 50/50 regional distribution in terms of numbers within the Regiment, I totally agree with it and never have heard anything contrary to it, but what I’ve heard certainly is that, the success ratio is not 50/50. I know for sure from my so called "AMATEUR RESEARCH" that the officers from East are certainly outnumbered by the officers from the West. In this respect i am compelled to accept the point that has been highlighted by Royal_Signals.

11. B_O,

I have not looked specifically at the officer corps of QGS and therefore am currently unsighted on the exact split between east and west. However I remember in the Sqn I was in that all the officers (x 2) and the SSM were Gurungs. However to quantify that statement, in my opinion this does not mean that there is discrimination based on caste/or ethnic background. I would suggest that the system that is in place now for selection for promotion/courses etc is as fair as anywhere else in the Army and that in order to promote within QGS you have to be ahead of the rest. You have to do something that is noteworthy, you have to be more than the grey man, you have to give your 1st and 2nd RO something to write on. If you don't then then like anywhere else in the Army you will continue to flog on getting nowhere. Put simply in the competetive world of promotion based on a meritocracy you have to be actively competing and adding value. Sitting back and just expecting promotion is not an option.

As for promotion boards, I think I am right in saying the following:

Sigs & LCpl Boards are conducted at RHQ QG SIGNALS level with external board members ie those that mark reports are not QG SIGNALS Officers and are usually R SIGNALS officers from 2, 22, 30 and Blandford.

Cpls - WO2 - All boards are conducted externally at Glasgow with appropriate representation from across the Army like any other board.

Commissioning Boards - Conducted at HQ BG - in a similar - though not exactly the same way - as R SIGNALS and other conducts their commissioning process. I am not sure on Corps policy but I would suspect that the SOinC(A) may also wish to have an input into this process at some point in the future as obviously these potential officers will fill R SIGNALS liability (in fact they do now).

Realistically the only way nepotism can occur is at the Troop Commander level, and I have to say that it is readily identifiable if a soldier is being overgraded at Squadron grading boards - specifically if the Sqn Comd has to ask "and who is this soldier what has he done?" Frankly like any other Sqn or Coy in the Army, the OC knows who are the cream and those that are definately not - the shades of grey are the more difficult to assess but the the grey are unlikely to be the ones that are going to promote.

I believe that any disparity in the Commissioned ranks currently could possibly be put down to this issue, but frankly, the Hong Kong years are now well behind the Gurkhas and the Bde of Gurkhas has to be seen as a fair and competitive organisation - new GTACOS and the move to place promotion boards within Glasgow are key indicators that this issue is taken seriously.

12. I was always under the impression that caste plays a big part and it is not unknown for a Ghurka Majors caste to get the bigger numbers on the promotion board.

13. Thankfully things are changing. Many moons ago your caste may have helped but in this bright new world incompetent soldiers/officers are more easily identified and with ever improving gradings and boards the chance of caste favouritism is reducing.

That said there will always be some influence as this is impossible to eradicate entirely. Apparently 9/10 the most senior top brass in the army are privately educated. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5489213.ece
    The caste of the old boys perhaps?

14. bowman
    you know nothing about qgs why make comments....? if you find out how many officers are of what cast, how many wo2 are what cast and how many ssgts and sgts are of what cast. only comment after that. otherwise you are talking pointless.

15. Op Herrick,

Thanks for adding some quality to the debate with your insightful facts.
    I'll let you know when I find out. It may take a couple of months though.