Fair dismissal or not?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldRedCap, Nov 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Unfair Dismissal? Is this justified ?

A press article in a local newspaper reads as follows;

A 38yr old shelf stacker from the Wythenshawe Tescos in Greater Manchester, was sacked from his job today, following an incident with an Eastern European customer.

The Eastern European man approached the assistant as he was stocking up in the wines and spirits section and asked if he could recommend a good Port ?

The assistant replied, "Yes, Dover, now **** off back home!"

2. Aw, fer crissakes................'coffee-to-keyboard-via-nose' time - again!!!!!

3. Cant decide.........but its funny as feck

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Swearing at a customer can not be condoned!

If he had just said Dover, then fair enough, that was wit and not grounds for dismissal.

5. Provided Tesco followed correct disciplinary procedure (which is pretty certain with a company that size) then not too much doubt it was justified. In the climate we're living in, the man's lucky he didn't find himself in court on a racial abuse charge.

Said in humour or not, it's a pretty fcuking stupid thing to say nowadays and, apart from damage to their reputation etc, that level of idiocy must surely call into question his ability to put the beans on the right shelf.

Or had he been living in a cave the past 10 years or so?

6. Bloke I know works for the Australian Immigration Service. Some years ago, a south-east asian type who was already in Australia on an expired visa applied for immigration. He was turned down and so he appealed, and appealed, and appealed... Eventually the final appeal failed and he was told he've have to be on the next flight out.

He turned up at the office and in desperation sought an interview to breathe life into his hopeless case. Says to the bloke 'What are my options?'

Deadpan, bloke replies; 'Smoking or non-smoking'

Edited for banana-fingered spelling

7. ^ Funny as feck!

8. Provided Tesco followed correct disciplinary procedure (which is pretty certain with a company that size) then not too much doubt it was justified. In the climate we're living in, the man's lucky he didn't find himself in court on a racial abuse charge.

Said in humour or not, it's a pretty fcuking stupid thing to say nowadays and, apart from damage to their reputation etc, that level of idiocy must surely call into question his ability to put the beans on the right shelf.

Or had he been living in a cave the past 10 years or so?

9. I agree entirley with Loretta.
    I don't even find his comment funny.

10. I thought it was hilarious. Probably enough to get him sacked but funny as fcuk at the same time.

And if "Zemla" and "Loretta" disagree, I'll just have to go back to seeking advice from "Trinny" and "Susannah"

11. oh dear ... another bunch of new members who dont find squaddie humour funny ....

Question begs, blah blah blah abuse abuse

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If this is the case he must be locked up for 90 days at once, as he might know where Osama Bin Laden is living.

13. Funny answer but yeah completely unacceptable thing to say to a customer (both the language and the idea)...

Tricam

14. Not as if Tesco will miss one customer, is it? To suggest this chap is thick was mentioned in his job title! :lol:

I still think it was funny :wink:

15. What? Are you for real - it's bleedin' hilarious.