failure to comply ticket

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by pkf72, Jul 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. on the 11/6/13 is was stopped by the police in nottingham for riding my motorbike in a bus lane.( in some bus lanes in the city you can and other you cant)

the bobby who pulled me over was sympathetic to the issue but said he needed to ticket me as his sgt was with him. he explained how it was a non endorsable offence but i would recieve a £30 fine in the post in the next two weeks.

having not heard from the police since the incident i thought i would look at the copy of the from he gave me and i have noticed a few issues with it

although i produced all my documents at the side of the road for him, he has written the wrong address down ( ie wrong house number) and he has written the VRN number down in such a way that it is impossible to tell what the reg is.
    he has also written down my driving licence number incorrectly.

all the other details are correct ie name date of birth contact number etc so with minimal work they could find me.
    it states on the back that it is my responsibility to monitor mail at the address written on the front ( difficult as its not my house!!) and failure to respond will lead to court proceedings.

now my question is.... do i ignore it as the details on the ticket are not correct ( and it was the officers fault for not writing them down correctly) and this voids the ticket or am i expected to follow this up to sort it.

or is it possible that the officer involved knew what he was doing and by not filling in the form correctly he was giving me a way out of the fine?

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Ignore it, should they chase you then you have a sound defence. It sounds like the officer deliberately cocked it up.

• Like Like x 2
  3. or was he stitching you up?

4. When/if it gets before the magistrates be prepared that you will probably not be eligible for legal representation under legal aid so unless you can afford a solicitor, be prepared to represent yourself.

Ask for full disclosure from the CPS and the first thing you do is point out the irregularities in the paperwork from the CPS documents to the magistrates (say **** all to the CPS).
    Do not produce your copy of the ticket and state that it would not be proper to allow the case to continue as there are grave concerns on the evidence and inaccuracies presented by the police.

Should get thrown straight out of court.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wise words from MiB and Peebles and complete bollox from theoriginalphantom.

Because your address is incorrect, the NiP has gone to the wrong address or cannot be delivered. As has been said, the PC has probably completed the ticket incorrectly because he has sympathy with the circumstances (maybe a biker himself?) or, with a wider view, is aware that he will have more contact time with the general populace and sees no need to irritate them with petty bureaucracy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. not bollocks, I was asking a question as I don't know if that having the wrong details will be used against the OP.
    Would the CPS (if they eventually catch up with him) claim he should have checked the details on his copy of the ticket before going on his way? I've been lucky to escape having a ticket issued to me so far, however I have met a few coppers who are really good and a few who are (like people in every other job) utter cnuts. (one wanted to issue me a ticket for having 6v electrics on an old bike another got upset that my 1960's car didn't have 4 way flashers which wouldn't have worked while I was broken down with a total electrical failure)
    it'll be interesting to see how this one pans out in the end.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Or you could just write to the relevant authority, explain that they made a mistake on your ticket and just pay the fine?

8. It should get stayed (legal speak for temporary or absolute halting of a legal action) for the police's inability to correctly follow procedure. Good words to use in court are 'Due to the inaccuracies evident upon the paperwork, namely..etc.., it would be in the interests of justice to invite your worships to consider stay proceedings in this case'

They would huddle, whisper, retire form the bench and hopefully return back and tell you you are free to go.

CPS guide here:

Abuse of Process: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

• Like Like x 1
  9. Why would anyone in their right mind even suggest that?

10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Devout Christian or other deluded fool?

11. Or you could be a total and utter fanny and not try and mug it off. Either way, the copper did you a favour. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe Bollocksbaisse might want to pay your fine for you, the twat.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sorry, I'm with Bouillabaisse on this.

Who seriously would go to court over 30 ******* quid? Taking the day off work alone will cost you more than that.

You committed an offence, albeit a very minor one, take the fine like a man and be done with it.

13. Be careful fighting official sanctions. I travelled on a First Great Western train from an unmanned station to Devizes a few years ago and as such waited for the ticket inspector to come around - since it was a 2 carriage train and he saw I was the only person getting on I didn't think it would be too much trouble for him to come and do his job and get a ticket off me - especially as I was sat there and not hiding in the only engaged toilet. 25 minutes later, 2 revenue enforcement officers rocked up and started laying down the rules and regs. I tried to explain that the ticket machine was encrusted in drying out vomit and there was no way I was going to touch it, let alone insert a card into it. They refused to take the 4.80 payment and tried to take a penalty fare of £50 despite the guard being present and saying that he had seen me come on and was just about to 'to do his rounds...' I was taken to court for refusing to pay and the case was thrown out however it showed up on my vetting and at my AIB I had to explain the bloody thing ad nauseum, right up to being questioned about my integrity and why I wasn't being dishonest. Quite honestly mate, damned if you do, damned if you don't with these sort of sanctions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Must have been some time ago, Devizes station closed in 1966.

• Like Like x 1