Failing to Update

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Sinner251, Oct 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Booted up this Morning and the little yellow update sheild popped up in the system tray, So gave it a click and started the update. Yet Its still there an hour later, did it again and it still won't go off. Wifeyburd wanders passed and asks what I'm doing, so I tell her and she replies its been doing that since friday. WTF? 3 days and she never mentions it.
    Any clue as to whats up appreciated as I'm an IT biff. XP SP3 Windows security essential, and I run AVAST once a week to see if WSE has missed owt.
    Heres some screen shots of the updater and what its trying and failing to do:

Attached Files:

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. Forgot to add it says updates are completed, have rebooted and it comes up with the same updates.

3. Have you tried updating one at a time? At least that way you can narrow down the problem download.

4. I 'll give that spin now

5. Nope no Joy.

6. Try loading up firefox and updating via windiz updates. Used to use them all the time.

7. I am not a computer Geek, but if I were in your situation I would do the following:
    Check if the updates are listed in Add/Remove programs in Control panel (I think there is a tick box towards the top of the screen to show updates). If they are listed (Look for the KB number), uninstall them. Run CCleaner (Registry) or any other Registry clean up tool you use and try the updates again.

8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I've had a similar problem on Mrs Bruno's netbook. There are two security updates been attempting to install for a week, but keep failing. Since they're not installed, I can't remove them - but since they've successfully downloaded, I can't re-download them. No idea if they're corrupt or just gash. Google flags up some people in the same situation, but no suitable solution.

9. The bliss of using MAC OS... you'll all come around :)

10. Just a thought. Have a look here: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download