Failing the pilots course

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by troopie, Jun 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If an AAC officer fails the course then what happens to them? Are they required to transfer or can they leave the Army? What if they owe a return of service eg from a cadetship? I've searched for this and come up with nothing, any links much appreciated.

2. the ones i know of who failed the course either re-badged or went to prison :)

3. I'd be quite interested to know the answer as well. I'm not looking at AAC (I'm far too good looking to be seen with you guys), but I did read that if you go for a commission with them then it is a 6 year commission and not a regular 4 year one. So how does it work if you sign on the dotted line and then transfer? Do you still have to complete the 6 years or do you just serve up to 4?

4. Although I never went aircrew, I do know that for certain courses (pilots) you are required to sign a new contact. I do believe that it is refered to as a Time Bar.

Basically if the Govt spend £££££££s training you, then they expect something in return.

I am sure one of the aircrew herein will correct me, if I am mistaken.

5. Correct. For instance AH time bar = 4 years from end of CTT. FRI time bar = 5 years from buying big new car!

6. mpsman, you are correct. I was a victim of the dreaded time bar in 1989. No commission available, only rank on the horizon WO2 or WO1(if lucky in the draw). Only option was to pursue a career in Canadian Aviation.....got a job teaching in Ontario.....couldnt go for a year because of time-bar. I am not, however, up to date in modern day Air Corps.

7. 1. Things are changing. Failing the course now means re training as GSF Commander or some other ground job only for the remainder of your 3 years.

2. Time bar at present is 4 years but Morale Counter Measures are talking of upping it to 5 years.

8. But why let that put you off, lifes a gamble, you could regret it if you don't at least try?

9. i stand by to be corrected, but i believe the time bar is to the army, not the air corps. therefore it is quite possible that you can go elsewhere and continue your career, and leaving the AAC environment does not release you from your obligation to the army.

only know this because somebody considered going back to their old regiment immediately after passing the pilots course; they looked into it and found they could do so, as the time bar was for the army not the AAC.

10. I find that amazing.... I really did think the time bar was to recover what had been spent in training.

Makes sense to move non graduated pilots (failed pilots) to the Gnd role though. No Chips on Shoulders there then !!

11. they don't go to the ground role. they go to other capbadges.

12. I think this is the wrong reason to apply to be a pilot, If you were able to get away with this you would have displaced somebody else from the pilots course, somebody who wanted it far more than you, integrity is one of the better qualities of an officer, maybe you shouldn't be one!

sorry for the rant.

13. Cheers CR that makes better sense, I must of mis read/understood Quickstop's post.

14. Totally agree.

Now if a candidate were to fail the course due to lack of ability, for medical reasons or purely found that he or she just wasn't enjoying the flying (and it's not for everyone) then that's fair enough - fulfilling their time bar with the AAC wouldn't, in my opinion, be a problem. Of course, there are arguments about sour grapes and such people becoming "pilot-haters" but I've also met some fine members of the Corps who have tried the course and failed and don't actually hold it against those who get through - in many cases, they are more "for" the aircrew having had a glimpse of what they have been through to get there.

HOWEVER

If the candidate were to be chopped for another reason (let's say, "for argument," integrity) then I have to say, I wouldn't really want to have to serve in the same Sqn as that particular officer - especially if I knew his or her integrity was questionable.

If the time bar is required to be completed then I would hope that, for our hypothetical case study here, the officer in question would move on to another cap badge.

15. simple question then PP: can you be a DE officer in the AAC if you fail the pilots course? thought the only non-pilot officers were LEs...