Failing AOSB

Should someone fail AOSB, whether that be briefing or MB, does this prevent them from taking the advice, working on their mistakes, and applying as an officer in the Navy or RAF?

I would have thought not, but I'm no expert, someone else here will know better.

It may help you to ask yourself what it is that you actually want to do. The personal qualities required by Officers in each service may be similar, but the jobs differ significantly.

I would have thought not, but I'm no expert, someone else here will know better.

It may help you to ask yourself what it is that you actually want to do. The personal qualities required by Officers in each service may be similar, but the jobs differ significantly.
Thanks for the reply

I’m just wondering based on the fact that one’s character can change, and the necessary personality and skills they are looking for in a potential officer may be developed whilst in a civvy management role.
It would seem a little unfair to penalise someone from trying their hand at the RAF or RN a year or two down the line...

Thanks for the reply

I’m just wondering based on the fact that one’s character can change, and the necessary personality and skills they are looking for in a potential officer may be developed whilst in a civvy management role.
It would seem a little unfair to penalise someone from trying their hand at the RAF or RN a year or two down the line...
I doubt you would be penalised if you applied to the RAF or RN having done the AOSB - that would be unfair.You have to meet the standards like everybody else. Did you get feedback on your performance from the Army? If you did, then can you see where things went wrong and can you identify a way to remedy them? A chap I went to school with didn't pass his AIB first time when he was at school , but a year or two into Uni he did. So it's not impossible.

soleil

War Hero
Should someone fail AOSB, whether that be briefing or MB, does this prevent them from taking the advice, working on their mistakes, and applying as an officer in the Navy or RAF?
What's your current situation, Penguin? I wasn't sure whether the question you posed was hypothetical.

Thanks for the reply

The skills can be developed in any role, not just management. Remember, the board are looking for ‘leadership’ potential, not managers or fully developed leaders of men.

There is nothing stopping you from apply for either service following AOSB. Just remember you have 2 chances at main board. You can, also appeal a cat 4 and go to main board still.

UKTAP

LE
I know someone who failed OASC, then subsequently passed RCB (now AOSB). He said that on the application paperwork the Army asked if the candidate had attempted to join the Armed orces before, but it was never brought up at interview.

I doubt the other Services care much about what the other has done.

Why not re-apply for AOSB ?
There are enough people on here who can coach you , something your sponsoring unit should have done anyway .
The Gunners used to run a very good Potential Officer's course back in the day , not even sure if that still exists , though .

I failed RCB straight after A levels with a recommendation to grow up for a year or two and come back for another try. Isn't that called a cat 3 or something now at AOSB? Someone more up to date should be able to help and cant remember what Albertous Junior said when he was explaining the current category system.

I failed RCB straight after A levels with a recommendation to grow up for a year or two and come back for another try. Isn't that called a cat 3 or something now at AOSB? Someone more up to date should be able to help and cant remember what Albertous Junior said when he was explaining the current category system.
The old deferred watch which was kiboshed as so many bright hopefuls never came back. Then it was the advent of Rowallan to keep them in the system.

The old deferred watch which was kiboshed as so many bright hopefuls never came back. Then it was the advent of Rowallan to keep them in the system.
Yes, that was the phrase, I was a deferred and that was 83 when they had Ro Co up and running. Knew a couple who got Ro Co and . . . . . . . . . well most of us know what they thought of that.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
My understanding from a brief at Westbury last spring is you can have 2 attempts at AOSB. A performance which is neither a definite Pass nor a definite Fail means that you may be invited to attend the 11 week Leader Development Course at RMAS paid as a soldier recruit. A AOSB team then check that sufficient progress has been made (or not) and the candidate either passes or fails.

The 'Go away and try again next year' approach appears not to work these days because they merely go away.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
My notes say there are 4 categories at the Initial Brief.

1. Go to Main Board.
2. Delay before MB.
3. Weaknesses which need to be addressed.
4. Fail. Have you considered joining as a soldier?

Yes, that was the phrase, I was a deferred and that was 83 when they had Ro Co up and running. Knew a couple who got Ro Co and . . . . . . . . . well most of us know what they thought of that.
Even then the pass rate from RowCo to SMC was fairly low. I dare say a survivor will tell us, I heard in the early days it was less than 30%. Keeping the bright hopefuls in the holding pattern for RMAS was always going to be a tall order, until the wars came along post 90.

My understanding from a brief at Westbury last spring is you can have 2 attempts at AOSB. A performance which is neither a definite Pass nor a definite Fail means that you may be invited to attend the 11 week Leader Development Course at RMAS paid as a soldier recruit. A AOSB team then check that sufficient progress has been made (or not) and the candidate either passes or fails.

The 'Go away and try again next year' approach appears not to work these days because they merely go away.
I knew a few even 30 years plus ago who just read the "Go away" but didn't read the rest so went away and had enjoyable and successful careers as ORs.

It's a pity the system didn't have a record keeping system to invite them back to RCB after a few years. Its seems the Int Corps had some sort of access and recording system as there were plenty of "failed" RCBer ORs hoovered up by Ashford in that period.

I knew a few even 30 years plus ago who just read the "Go away" but didn't read the rest so went away and had enjoyable and successful careers as ORs.

It's a pity the system didn't have a record keeping system to invite them back to RCB after a few years. Its seems the Int Corps had some sort of access and recording system as there were plenty of "failed" RCBer ORs hoovered up by Ashford in that period.
The system if there ever was one wasn't that commercially astute. I suppose some RHQs kept an eye on their prodigy especially if they came from within the Regimental family but many just fell off the table and went their own little way.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Even then the pass rate from RowCo to SMC was fairly low. I dare say a survivor will tell us, I heard in the early days it was less than 30%. Keeping the bright hopefuls in the holding pattern for RMAS was always going to be a tall order, until the wars came along post 90.
I understand, anecdotally, that LDC is getting pass rates somewhat over 60%.

My notes say there are 4 categories at the Initial Brief.

1. Go to Main Board.
2. Delay before MB.
3. Weaknesses which need to be addressed.
4. Fail. Have you considered joining as a soldier?
That’s correct, though 4 also contains Fail, Please never darken ours or the wider Army’s doors again.

Latest Threads