Failed swimmer

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Faustic, Sep 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi again all.

My problem this time is swimming. I need to be able to swim 100m by february to attempt to pass my AOSB. All other fitness aspects are fine. I can do push ups, sit ups and the run under 10 mins but my big problem is swimming. I can do 2 lengths of a 25 metre pool non stop (50m) :/ However I still cannot do a proper stroke, what I do is a kind of strange looking front crawl. I do think I need some lessons, however as i'm only 16 I don't know if i can get into adult lessons as i'd rather not go into kids ones where i'd look like a bit of a pleb going with 6-7 year olds :D

2. Local baths usually have adult swimming lessons. It's a question of bashing out the lengths mate. Like pressups they become much much easier as you practice them, but at first you don't notice much improvement. Concentrate on breast stroke aswell.
  3. Many swimming baths have one to one lessons available at a cost.
    As Johno says, keep swimming. Practise will improve your stroke.
    I only learned how to do breast stroke properly about 5 years ago (I'm 37) and it is amazing how swimming correctly improves your efficiency in the water, and in turn your performance.
    Good luck.
  4. i never remember having my swimming tested at RCB?? i don't even think there's a swimming pool at westbury???

swimming lessons are very popular for all ages esp as triathlon is becoming more popular...where in the uk are you?
  5. you are right, don't think it really matters until you get to sandhurst. If you can learn, great as its good fitness but nothing to lose sleep over.
  6. even at RMAS i think we only went swimming twice - there was definately remedial swimming on offer, namely for the floppies