Failed my AOSB

:( I failed my AOSB Briefing a couple of weeks ago. Mainly due to my MAP test score and Planning exercise activity. I feel bit disheartned because it was something i reallly wanted to achieve. I got awarded a CAT 4 .
I accept my weaknessess but when you feel you have been at a disadvantage. I was with a very strong group. three current serving military personnel includin ga marine and former RAF officer...
I lost my confidence and wasnt really myself due to this. I know the Group Leader can only mark you on what he /she can see.

I work alot for my MAP tests /current affairs. Only did 1 planning exercise though before my briefing. Think I just lost my confidence on this.. Its weird because the ETS wrote a very positive report about me ie potential to be succesfull at board and RMAS ,hard to get sponsored by these. I feel no positive comments were made about my performance in general. I blitzed the fitness/obstacle course. Am a very active sports person.. coach, teach as well.

Anyway im going to appeal my CAT 4 and see what happens. Have any other people appealed against thier grade ? whether unsuccessfully or successfully.

Thanks

You could always join as a Tom, do a few years and then re-apply with some experience.

Appeal?

If you're not good enough, you're not good enough. Pretty simple really innit.

You'll find that the people who were grading you have a bit of experience and can tell if a person is not a suitable candidate. You clearly weren't.

Your post sounds as if it's not your fault as you say you were 'disadvantaged'.

Why?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The-Lord-Flasheart said:

Why?
Sounds more like he's gutted and a bit raw about it to be honest mate. A wee bit of casting about for someone to blame is probably to be expected.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Appeal?

If you're not good enough, you're not good enough. Pretty simple really innit.

You'll find that the people who were grading you have a bit of experience and can tell if a person is not a suitable candidate. You clearly weren't.

Why?
Shot! Out!

Litotes

sprint81 said:
:( I failed my AOSB Briefing a couple of weeks ago. Mainly due to my MAP test score and Planning exercise activity. I feel bit disheartned because it was something i reallly wanted to achieve. I got awarded a CAT 4 .
I accept my weaknessess but when you feel you have been at a disadvantage. I was with a very strong group. three current serving military personnel includin ga marine and former RAF officer...
I lost my confidence and wasnt really myself due to this. I know the Group Leader can only mark you on what he /she can see.

I work alot for my MAP tests /current affairs. Only did 1 planning exercise though before my briefing. Think I just lost my confidence on this.. Its weird because the ETS wrote a very positive report about me ie potential to be succesfull at board and RMAS ,hard to get sponsored by these. I feel no positive comments were made about my performance in general. I blitzed the fitness/obstacle course. Am a very active sports person.. coach, teach as well.

Anyway im going to appeal my CAT 4 and see what happens. Have any other people appealed against thier grade ? whether unsuccessfully or successfully.

Thanks
You are competing against a standard, not against the others.

By all means have another go, you were only graded on the 'briefing'

msr

While we are on this topic.

I didn't pass but got an encourage to come back.

I haven't received the letter from the Vice-president, which would clarify a timescale for going back and what I need to work on. However, I was wondering if anyone knows what it is likely to be.
i.e : is it going to be 12 weeks ? - that i can handle

12 months...well, that a different story.

Thanks in advance.

overpromoted said:
I think 6 months is the usual wait.
Thanks OP

Think it's worth joining up as a soldier and try in a few years time ?
Or should I try the AOSB again before I do that?

Anyone's educated opinion, greatly appreciated.

chimera

LE
Sprint - have you considered the RAF Regiment?

chimera said:
Sprint - have you considered the RAF Regiment?
Good call. He already has the spelling and punctuation errors and the general air of failure and seems well on the way to cultivating an appropriate attitude of bitterness.

sprint81 said:

Thanks
Appeal? What on earth? Is this something new? I didn't think there was any kind of right of appeal. AOSB is not some kind of Benefits Tribunal.

Why not take it on the chin and accept that perhaps you're better suited to do something else? Without wishing to sound harsh (although I know it will), if you get demoralised at the AOSB briefing, feck only knows how you would manage when faced with real soldiers and live rounds.

Sounds to me like you're making excuses and looking for someone else to blame.

Turn to the right, gain height, carry on.

sprint81 said:
I was with a very strong group. three current serving military personnel includin ga marine and former RAF officer...

I work alot for my MAP tests /current affairs. Only did 1 planning exercise though before my briefing. Think I just lost my confidence on this..
I think, in your instance, the selection process may have been right.

You were joining with the intention of leading highly trained soldiers. You say you lost confidence (twice) because you were in a strong group and you only did one planning exercise. This was in a controlled environment with no risk to life or limb.

The last thing the guys on the ground need is a leader who cracks under a bit of pressure especially when the fuzzy wuzzies are tipping up with the intention of doing one harm.

As chimera says, if you really want to be an officer try Crab Air.