Failed Coup in Turkey: 15/07/2016

We won’t know each other I am but a humble civvy. I had the opportunity to observe the fake sultan’s antics at close range when he was visiting India. You can tell a lot about a bloke by observing how he treats his staff
Ah OK so you are an expert on Turkish domestic politics and foreign policy. I thought so.

Oh, and I am a humble civilian now, too.

Having seen the institutional paranoia that runs through every government department, I can't see another coup attempt happening.
I would agree with you on that one. The fake sultan will be around for a while. Eventually his revolution will start consuming it’s children in order keep the pot boiling after the fake coup.Then we will see.

If this is Erdogan's bid to shut down terror in Turkey, one wonders what sort of operation Erdogan is planning in the wake of Austria’s actions in shutting down Mosques.
Erdogan furious over Austria's shutdown of Turkish-funded mosques

“These measures taken by the Austrian prime minister are, I fear, leading the world towards a war between the cross and the crescent," Erdogan said in a speech in Istanbul on Sunday.
"They say they're going to kick our religious men out of Austria. Do you think we will not react if you do such a thing?” “That means we're going to have to do something,”

In Turkey a government agency, the General Directorate for Foundations (GDF), regulates activities of non-Muslim religious groups and their affiliated churches, monasteries, synagogues and related religious property.

In 1936, the Turkish government required all foundations to declare their sources of income. In 1974, amid political tensions over Cyprus, the High Court of Appeals ruled that minority foundations had no right to acquire properties beyond those listed in the 1936 declarations. The court ruling introduced a process in which the state seized control of properties acquired after 1936.

Minority religious groups, particularly the Greek and Armenian Orthodox communities, have lost a number of properties to the state in the past. In many cases, the government expropriating property on the grounds that it is not being utilized.

Turkish law restricting religious property rights was amended in 2002 to allow minority foundations to acquire property, but the government has continued to apply an article allowing it to expropriate properties in areas where the local non-Muslim population drops significantly or where the foundation is deemed to no longer perform the function for which it was created.

The comments of a possible religious war by Erdogan has come in the wake of Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz’s promised crackdown on radical Islam and to protect Austria from radical religious extremism.

Last Friday, he announced his government will shut down seven mosques and dozens of foreign-funded imams could face expulsion from the country.

At least one of the mosques the government that will be closed is reportedly linked to 'The Grey Wolves’ a Turkish nationalist group, the six others are run by a group called the Arab Religious Community. More than 600,000 Muslims many of whom are of Turkish descent live in Austria.

The Austrian action invokes a 2015 law banning religious groups from foreign funding, and the government has indicated that as many as 60 imams may need to leave the country.

The fissure between liberalism multiculturalism and security concerns is widening as European security services struggle to combat Islamic terrorism.

Many questions continue to arise about the extent European countries should go to to exercise sovereignty over their borders, security and and just what the accession of Turkey, with its 70 million Muslims, might mean for the EU with it’s intention of joining the EU.

More and more Europeans have come to see past permissiveness as excessive, even dangerous. Religious tolerance and ignorance of just what foriegn Imams have been preaching has allowed radical Islamic cells to flourish.

Europeans are increasingly feeling that Muslims coming to their countries should start practice religious tolerance themselves and adjusting to the values of their host countries, instead of the demands that they have making, but do not allow in their own countries.

Should we in the UK be worried when this is being taught in Islamic schools here?

Turkey controls religions within Turkey and no-one has complained. Austria is attempting to control Radical Islam within Austria and Erdogan mentions religious war.

It would appear that what is sometimes being preached in mosques here in the UK is not always the peace that we are told this religion is all about. The lack of control over foreign Imams, where their particular brand of Islam is coming from, and what they teach, is of growing and ongoing concern to a number of European countries.

Erdogan's control over his country the direction in which he is taking them, the complete purging of pro-Western elements in the Turkish military, and the sentiments he raises over the country’s principal religion, does unfortunately raise some concerns amongst many in Europe, the EU, NATO, and the US.

Last edited:
Ataturk must be rolling in his grave!

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has claimed victory in the presidential and party elections but the opposition says it's still to early to call the results. of course, with no independent media left in the country, the accuracy of the report is difficult to confirm.

Turkey's Erdogan claims victory in polls

The opposition leader, Muharrem Ince, has conceded defeat and accepted the new mandate. He believes that the campaigning wasn't particularly fair and that some votes may have been stolen, but not enough to affect the full outcome.

It’s certainly going to take a hiding now that Erdogan has consolidated his power in this last election.

Watch out Turkey.
... NATO, the EU, Israel, the Kurds, and anyone else trying to deal with a megalomaniac with messianic tendencies. How long before Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's mausoleum is turned over to other uses? The Western-looking, secular state he founded is now as dead as he is.

... NATO, the EU, Israel, the Kurds, and anyone else trying to deal with a megalomaniac with messianic tendencies.
I think he is a lot more worried about Al Assad's rhetoric over the weekend , demanding that Turkey and the US leave northern Syria 'or else'. Around Idlib there are potentially 3 million people trapped who are die-hard opposition members, who could only head for Turkey if the regime forces decide to close in/bombard Idlib - once they have finished cleaning up in the south.

I think he is a lot more worried about Al Assad's rhetoric over the weekend , demanding that Turkey and the US leave northern Syria 'or else'. Around Idlib there are potentially 3 million people trapped who are die-hard opposition members, who could only head for Turkey if the regime forces decide to close in/bombard Idlib - once they have finished cleaning up in the south.
I do hope 'he' is worried, because he's given the rest of us a lot to worry about with his apparent push for pan-Turkism.

Nah, it’s a kick in the nuts for sure but it’s long way from dead. The big centres of population will oppose any return to fundamentalism. They’re too far down the road to a western lifestyle to go back.
Islamic fundamentalism and a hostile attitude to the West are not always mutually inclusive notions, although the latter is certainly stoked by the former.

E2A: not particularly rigorous I'll accept, but having just observed the interactions and behaviour of a number of my Turkish colleagues at lunch, the older ones seem very subdued while, surprisingly to me, the younger and more junior seemed pretty buoyant about life. So, either the younger ones have all collectively decided that living in western Europe is the best way to go whilever Erdogan is in power back home, or your optimism for the future direction of Turkey may be ill-founded.

Last edited:
Well, this is turning out nicely for some!

Russia, Iran jubilant over Erdogan victory

'Russia, Iran and Hungary have voiced support for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after he secured a first-round victory in a presidential poll that will grant him sweeping new powers.

'According to a statement issued by the Kremlin, Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Erdogan on winning a new five-year term, saying the election result "completely testifies to (his) great political authority."

'Iranian President Hassan Rouhani also praised Erdogan's win, saying the two nations should deepen their "cordial and brotherly relations" in order to further their agenda of promoting security and peace in the region.

'Congratulations were also issued from inside the European Union, with Hungary's conservative Prime Minister Viktor Orban saying Erdogan's win was "good for all of Europe." '

Well, this is turning out nicely for some!

'Russia, Iran and Hungary have voiced support for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after he secured a first-round victory in a presidential poll that will grant him sweeping new powers.

'According to a statement issued by the Kremlin, Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Erdogan on winning a new five-year term, saying the election result "completely testifies to (his) great political authority."

'Iranian President Hassan Rouhani also praised Erdogan's win, saying the two nations should deepen their "cordial and brotherly relations" in order to further their agenda of promoting security and peace in the region.

'Congratulations were also issued from inside the European Union, with Hungary's conservative Prime Minister Viktor Orban saying Erdogan's win was "good for all of Europe." '

So has our Prime Minister and our Foreign Secretary; as have Made in and Merkel, inter alia.