Failed Coup in Turkey: 15/07/2016

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FailyScaley, Jul 15, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lots of stuff just started pinging out about gunfire in Istanbul, fast jets over Ankara, bridges over Bosphorous blocked by tanks.

Possible mil coup?

Thought Erdogan had broken the Turkish forces.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 3
  2. That would be a good thing, Ataturk must be rolling in his grave what with the shit Erdogan has been up to.

• Like Like x 24
  3. So did he...

They've been playing nicely with KSA a lot recently.

Turkish AF demonstrate their flying v low at night through the city skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  4. Photos now coming out of tanks on the street, F16s passing over Ankara on the deck. Gunfire in Ankara.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

6. Sounds like either an anti-terrorist op, or bye, bye Sultan Erdogan. Hopefully the latter!

• Like Like x 3
  7. This would put them decades back in the eyes of the world if it is anything other than a security exercise. Let's hope it isn't too serious, though I have a feeling in my pee. :cool:

8. I thought once the armed forces were the guardians of the constitution in Turkey so could coup to protect it? anyhow s--t in the fan?

9. A pretty reliable dude online just reported 'attack helicopters firing on govt building in Ankara'

10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Always had a lot of respect for the Turkish military. A deep-seated understanding of the world.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

All social media has now been blocked in Turkey. Before it went down the PM (not Erdogan who's the President) was saying it was 'military action without a chain of command' and definitely not a coup.

Footage shot on Twitter also of bridges lined with troops and blocked off with trucks rather than tanks.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Hope that wasn't a piss-take: I've certainly found them far more realist in their outlook than the Turkish MFA.

13. Erdogan thought that he'd emasculated the military and could waltz into an Islamic state.

Turkish authorities are saying that the COC isn't involved (yeah right) & it can't be called a coup.

Erdogan is toast.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Green trucks I presume ergo easily confused with Tanks by those with room temp IQs, media studies degrees and professing to be investigative journalists - where investigative is defined by can enter the word tank into google.

At what point does military action without chain of command become a coup?

Edit : Ah now answered - When the PM changes his mind and says so -