Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Steven, Jul 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to the fucked up schooling I recieved plus the drive to metrification in the UK over the years and living over here as I do I have a very weird system of weights and measures.

I do temperatures in deg C, height in feet and inches, body weight in Kg but food and such like in Lbs and Oz,
    time is the 24hr clock, distance in KMs but short stuff in Yards, feet and inches.

So for instance I would be happy with the idea of needing 6'4" of 4m wide carpet or a 2m length of 4x2 wood and don't have a clue if 82deg F is warm or fucking freezing.

Anyone else or are you Imperial/Metric all the way?

• Like Like x 2
  2. No shit!

• Like Like x 13
  3. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

• Like Like x 13
  4. I joined the green in the 70's and everything was metric even then so I naturally always go everything metric as SOP.

5. After 26 years I have managed to think down to their level and can generally do things in the metric system. Miles-kilometres is easy after the practice we had, though I still translate it into miles so as I understand it better. When I run I prefer distances like 8/16k as that's my 5 and 10 miles respectively. But I still think of Pau Gasol as being 6ft 7 not 2m something or other. I can do kilos to pounds but don't ask me to do grammes and ounces. Temperature yes I go metric, after years of hearing it.
    But luckily my local is a mock irish bar and I can ask for a pint, to be reduced to asking for half a litre of Guiness or whatever, well that gentle men would cause my lip to stiffen to near rigidness and raise the Union Jack high, and give the Johnny foreigners a damn good lesson.

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I suspect we are of about the same vintage....having grown up with yards,feet and inches, by secondary school everyone seemed desperately keen for me to talk about some damn Bonapartiste measuring system - so, no you ain't alone.

That said, try going in any pub and saying " 75 centilitres of your finest Boondoggle mine host!" - and see how far you get :)

it's thirty degrees C in Bournemouth, which I'm guessing counts as 'warmish' in Fahrenheit ?

<< Tu-as vu mes lunettes? >>

7. Have you thought about a career with NASA?

Mars Climate Orbiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pretty much the same.

IMO, imperial is better for vague or rule-of-thumb measurements, whereas metric is much, much better if you actually need to calculate.

So a room is roughly x feet by y feet, until I need to put a kitchen in at which point it becomes a mm by b mm.

Everyone else weighs x stone, if I need to check my own weight it's a kg.

Likewise, land nav is all in metres when I'm pacing/timing and using OS maps... and then the final 'so how far did I walk/run' ends up converted into miles!

But temperature is the exception - I haven't the foggiest idea what 87[sup]o[/sup] Fahrenheit is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ............and did Cambridge also mention that the individual requires a modicum of education to facilitate that process? As ane fule kno.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Whilst I don't think I'm as old as you buggers. I do think in a mixture of Imperial/Metric due to my schooling (Metric) and from helping my dad, who was a carpenter & joiner using Imperial.

When I talk measurements it's in Imperial, yet when I actually am measuring something I do it in Metric.
    With weights I use Imperial (stone and pounds), with height I use Imperial (feet and inches), with long distances I use miles, yet I use Metric for short distance (metres up to about 500-600m then it's back to miles*) and in temperature I use Metric.

*And I know a mile is longer than a kilometre. I start saying "half a mile, quarter of a mile".

11. Everything was imperial up until I was about 16 then came creeping metrification. First the weather done in Celcius, and Kilopascals (whatever the fuck they are? I still go by inches of mercury), then distance, then weights. I function in both, and have some fun annoying kids with archaic things like hands, fathoms,rods, furlongs etc.

12. When someone said something which sounded stupid we used to sometimes say 'sorry, was that in metric or imperial?' or 'what's that in imperial then?' or look confused at the others and say 'dunno, that was in metric i think.'

i use both by the way. handy to be able to say 'its about 6 foot' but if you are looking for precision in eg cutting etc...i'd use cm and mm. i find the fact that inches are in fractions a bit like a concept rather than a real number. personally.

13. Ditto mattb. Imperial seems easier to visualise and get an idea of in my head whereas metric is easier to calculate.

14. Doing an offshore survey job inn the States a few years back it was amazing.

Easting and Northings were in US survey feet.

Depth was in US Standard feet.

Distance along the pipeline was in metres.

Fucked or what?

Cheers
    Gadge

• Like Like x 1