Fading Glory of Guzz Union Streets New Palace Theatre

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tremaine, Aug 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tale of Shame

History

Legacy of times gone by rots away, as Plymouth is redeveloped and developers chasing fat returns build more homes everywhere. For reasons unknown to us, places like this are neglected and left to crumble. Pretty crap when you consider its history in the City. Not an outrage typre myself, but it's a great shame , when Plymouth seems incapable of looking after its heritage. Latter day Drugs Den or not, this place could tell a few tales and stood there long before Pikeys and Janner Chavs came along.

See here

And here

"In 1909, Harry Houdini played at the theatre for a week during August and drew a huge crowd.
    In 1931, Charlie Chaplin, who was in Plymouth as a guest of Nancy Astor, appeared on stage on the 16th November, 1931.
    The theatre stayed open during the blitz of 1941 to keep people's spirits up. Acts that appeared that year included Billy Cotton and his band, Tommy Handley, Arthur Lucan (Old Mother Riley), Henry Hall and his Orchestra as well as many less known acts. At Christmas of that year, the show was Robinson Crusoe which starred George Hirstie.
    The theatre closed in 1949 for redecorating and reopened with the Billy Cotton Bandshow. The theatre closed again in 1954 due to the lack of touring shows. It was offered to the Plymouth City Council in 1956 but they refused to buy it and it closed for five months before reopening in October 1956. It closed suddenly on the 7th February, 1959 during the pantomime, 'Little Miss Muffet' because of lack of interest.
    New management took over the theatre in 1961 and it became Palace Theatre (Bingo) Ltd.
    The theatre reopened in 1962 with the pantomime, 'Sinbad the Sailor.'
    In 1965, Arthur Fox, a businessman from Manchester, paid £50,000 for the theatre with the intention of hosting Star Bingo, wrestling (which was very popular at the time) and striptease.
    In 1975, it was bought by EMI and opened on the 19th April, 1977 with a performance of 'The Magic Flute.' The theatre struggled and closed on the 27th May, 1980 when it ceased trading and its contents were put up for sale. It reopened on the 16th May 1981 for a review with Danny La Rue but finally closed in 1983 when it became the Academy Disco.
    Its fortunes didn't improve and today it remains closed and its shabby appearance hides its varied history. It's amazing to think of the great acts that have appeared there and of how many people in Plymouth have been entertained by them.
    The theatre is said to be haunted, a rumour started in the early 1960s."
    Source: Derek Tate

2. Union St
    worst places for a night out.
    john
    Plymouth 69-72.

3. Guzz is way overun with chavs and chavesses now. Anything of culture or buildings of cultural significance are lost on a large demograph of people whose idea of enlightenment is knowing the ins and outs of Jordan's marriage break up.

Most Janners are quite backward when compared to people from other parts of the country. I base most of my comparisons on Janners and non-janner servicemen/women. I think even Janner chavs are lower down the evolution table than chavs from elsewhere.

Plymouth needs the Luftwaffe to re-scrub their last attempt and try again.

4. "Most Janners are quite backward when compared to people from other parts of the country."

Disgusting, memory says true, but in this Modern day and age Nue Labour will not have any form of discrimination.
    john
    Unless it's against HM Forces.

5. The City has made an effort to preserve some of the pre-war heritage that Hitler missed, the Tinside Lido being a great example. The Palace Theatre is a fine example of Victorian architecture, but, as Plymouth already has the Theatre Royal nearby, I suppose the dilemma would be finding a use for it, even if the funding could be found to restore it to its former glory. Pre-recession, it might have been suitable for a sympathetic conversion, but that is unlikely now and would, in any case, probably be scuppered by its Grade II listing.

Looking at Union Street now, it is hard to believe it was the home of the wealthy in the 19th century. Even the nightlife has migrated to the Barbican. I suppose the only hope is that the area will slowly be 're-gentrified', but don't hold your breath.

6. I was born and bred on the Barbican and remember the annual visit to the Palace for Christmas Pantos. Always had seats in "The Gods" with good views. Great times back then.
    Union Street would be full of Matelots on the "Razzle" with squaddies from Plumer, or Seaton baracks or the Royal Citadel around , and Royal Marines from Stonehouse too.

The Barbican was home to most of the trawlermen who manned the steam trawlers, or people working in jobs supporting them. A far cry from the glitzy place it is now.

I left in 1955 aged 15 to become a Boy Soldier, so my Plymouth memories are from those days of long ago.

7. The council have wanted to demolish Union street for ages in order to extend the Millbay complex. popular opinion states that the main driving reason behind the drugs raids at the Dance Academy were to obtain closure and then allow the listed building to fall into dis-repair.
    To be honest, regardless of whether it was a drugs den or not, there was never a large amount of trouble sourced from it's clientele. it terms of crime reduction - it was counter productive.

Plymouth city council is run by people who are only in the job due to the amount of time they have been there. Doddering janners who dont have a clue. They seek to expand on a luxury flat complex in Millbay - in full knowledge that it will go the same way as the other "luxury" ones at the bottom of Albert road - A few unluky people who bought 'off plan' who now have housing association chavs as their neighbours.

8. The Palace Theatre is a beautiful building, even during rather hazy nights in Dance Academy (due entirely, I hasten to add, to booze and nothing else) you could tell how beautiful the interior must have been during its heyday. I agree with Booty: even if it is renovated there will be no use for it, Janners have the Theatre Royal and Plymouth Pavilions, they don't need another theatre and who in their right mind would go to a theatre on Union Street, and the worse end of Union Street at that!?

The best you could hope for is turning it into a nightclub of regional, if not national, stature but that is highly unlikely. A real shame and testament to the sh1thole that Plymouth is.

9. Being an Aldershot lad and all that my visits to Union Street surprisingly were quite frequent as my mate was with 3 Cdo Bde for a long time...oh how I loved being called a Nog/Nod? on Union St. because we dared to wear maroon t shirts and we all looked like clones. We drank in the Two Trees and other choice establishments but it was a top crack. Union Street....if you fade I will remember you!!!

10. Slight amendment to that, with your permission. Plymouth is actually becoming an immigrant Mecca, "a rich cultural and diverse City". Calls for turning the Theatre into "Flats for asylum seekers, because we need it" may not go unheeded. This may give the PCC excuses for sending in the developers, meet the immigration and diversity targets, and make a bit of money out of the council tax revenue. Rude not to.

Welcome to Slough by the Sea. All perfectly acceptable of course, since we 're all now culturally tolerant and accommodating.

11. Whats the point in preserving buildings of heritage and cultural interest in a city that is destined for pound shops and bingo halls?

No point hanging a Mona Lisa in a monkey compound. Millions now going to be spent on the new Life centre. A million pound development in an area surrounded by the main estates that are permanently "Helping police with their enquiries". Its all wasted. Plymouth WILL, and should be left to die a natuaral death once the matelots move to Pompey.

Look what happened to Rosyth.