Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Check_0ne_Two, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After long time lurking I thought I'd come here for an informed opinion. ( I know, I know )

Also due to the long time lurking I know I'm going to cop a shoeing at the very least, but hopefully it'll be worth it. :oops:

I'm a civvy, not a wah or a Journo, just a civvy, who grew up around the forces and continues to have an interest in what goes on and where.

Now a request if I may be so bold.

Below is part of a thread in another forum and I wanted to find out from those that know best if the poster's comments hold any weight.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest or wah my way into the hole. I genuinely want to find out whether this guy knows what he is talking about.

I recognise logic / fact behind some of what he says, I just don't actually believe all that he says.

Hope you can help.

2. Can you provide the source?

3. Written by some Septic journo,who has never left the States?

4. Well put it this way, the only war the sceptics have won on their own.....
    Grenada.......and some of them had guns so they say.
    So make your own mind up.

VH

5. What's the question? Is this a statement that the Septics appear to have a greater resemblance to an X-Box game? Does/should everyone line up in red or blue uniforms and last man standing wins? Does the author like to pretend we are engaged in another Total War situation? Do they have a mental age greater than 12?

Have to say again, what's the question?

No.9

6. You are aware that the Septics won the Second World War entirely on their own.

7. Check- one-two,....... Don't worry about it mate. I am perplexed as to why you are so concerned?
    For the record, The British soldier is the most finest and well trained in the world. Does that answer your question?
    In other words, they know what they are doing, even if our politician's do not!!

8. I didn't want to at first as I thought the source would detract from the context of the piece. I'm sure some / many know the site and good footage can be found there. Unfortunately most threads end up as a shit throwing contest.

Source: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0d3_1263882139

Click on 'comments' for thread.

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I was asking whether the author of the post I was quoting actually had a valid point and was correct in his assumptions. Or he is just a knob jockey repeating misconceptions.

I'm asking here, because having a) never served b) never been sent out to Herrick I am in no position to comment.

Above I mentioned I was in no position to comment. Yesterday I had a first class ticket, front seat on the rage bus and I was wanting to comment, but I didn't want to make an uninformed one.

I'm not concerned as such, just 'bothered' by the authors perception of UK forces and his own.

It shouldn't bother me and there's an argument, especially from members of this board, to say I'm in no position to be bothered by it, but it does. End of.

Maybe I was wrong to bring it here? I just couldn't think of a better place.

Cheers for the answers so far though.

9. He is a knob jockey both repeating misconceptions and makign up some new ones of his own.

Basra will never be cleared of militias but they were reduced to an acceptable level during TELIC 10 and onwards - if anything the yanks are stirring them back up with their lack of hearts and minds ability.

We stay in camp do we? Two words PANTHER'S CLAW.

The guy is a cnut, ignore him.

10. Good point, well presented :D

11. The Times online article quoted in the LL comments is not particularly supportive of or complimentary about British forces. It is helped by 2 quotes; “We have no desire to fight the Taleban, but to fix them, pushing slightly farther south, but if we were to go all the way we’d be guaranteed a fight,” said Major Stuart Hill, who commands B Company 2 Mercian." and "One young British officer said: “The Americans caused most of the damage, so they will be picking up the tab.”". Overall I reckon it gives just the impession repeated by the Op's quote.

IMD

12. bah... typical.. useless piece of crap writing... must be American.. totally ignores the Canadian contribution to the Afghan effort.. where they have lost more soldiers as a percentage of their force than any others [until recently] fighting in the the most 'restive' province under Taliban incursions..or the Dutch who have stepped up with even less than the Brits allegedly don't have and, though I hate to say it.. even the French have taken hits and not shirked from it..only ones under-performing are the Germans who are constrained by some very strict ROE imposed by their scared government.

don't sweat this 'writer''' , he obviously hasn't looked beyond the foot of his own bunk for 'research'...