Facing the Truth

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone see the BBC2 showing of this programme.

some remarkable scenes in the series which brought together victims and their attackers in the Northern Ireland conflict. It was chaired by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who led the Truth and Reconciliation Commission into the crimes of the apartheid era. The series explored a tough issue from a human, rather than political, perspective and saw Loyalist Michael Stone come face to face with the wife of one of Stone's victims.

Another was a former British soldier who talks to the Sister of a man he shot dead. Burrage, now a bespectacled middle-aged man, was visibly troubled by the events from 1971, when as a young soldier in Belfast, he'd shot and killed Michael McLarnon.

Whatever ghosts were haunting all involved in the meetings, they were certainly laid bare in this series.

Was this programme a waste of License payers money or should more victims come face to face with the accussed???

2. this has been done on another thread

3. opps, Sorry old chap...

4. I saw the last 2 episodes. I was interested to see that although Stone refused to believe that the UDA 'intelligence officers' had got it wrong about his victim he did seem to be affected by the grief he had caused the man's family. He stated that he had always tried to 'dehumanise' his victims. In this case he couldn't and was brought face to face with the reality of his actions.

5. If you are refering to when Stone killed Dermot Hackett, I think there was an error in the narators comments on the show. Stone killed Dermot Hackett on the Drumquin Road, just outside Omagh, Co Tyrone. He was not killed by Stone at Millfield in Belfast.

6. India-Juliet.
    What I meant was that he had to face his victim's family. He was unable to dehumanise them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.