Facial Armor

Because of the increased risk of airborne fragmentation threats, resulting from improvised
explosive devices, also known as IED’s, MTek has produced the Predator Facial Armor System Technology, or FAST for short.

Gook

Old-Salt
How the hell do you fire a rifle (or breathe!) with it on?!

Your face should survive just fine, however, your eyes and brain will be totally bolloxed by your Oakley's flying into your head at the speed of shrapnel! OUCH!

CC_TA

It look's like a nosebag, get yer oat meal block down yer neck 'covertly'.

Still has it's weak point's, the MK1 eyeball.

Toe

To be fair, the topic-starting picture is the 1st generation heavy duty version for operators of crew-served weapons.

They have a second generation facial armour for the infantry:

http://www.mtekweaponsystems.com/FAST G38.jpg

Big improvement, isn't it??? Think I'll stick with the anti-scratch coatings on my Specsavers glasses instead.

msr said:
Because of the increased risk of airborne fragmentation threats, resulting from improvised
explosive devices, also known as IED’s, MTek has produced the Predator Facial Armor System Technology, or FAST for short.

Why has he got Jordan's face thingy on? Doesn't she need it to stop scaring children?

PassingBells said:
That's about as hearts and minds as:
Actually, in saying that......

The army should look towards building a complete-enclosing helmet system that can protect the face/neck area as well.

I for one would rather take shrapnel in the chest or lose a leg to an IED than lose half my face to either!

The move toward Star Wars Stormtrooper hardware type facemasks seems inevitable given the insurgent/rebel/freedom fighter attack /assault parameters...I think that the military should abandon any interpersonal/hearts and minds attempts and just go the whole hog for total body protection.. After alll you already have cameras, communication devices, infrared scanners and all sorts of other goodies tucked in, strapped on, atteched to the bloody stuff as it is, plus all that armour plate, load vests, etc..

soldiers already look like something out of sci-fi..so go for the whole makeover and accept it as part of the hazard/necessity of the times..

besides you could always ' sex' it up with some paint/artwork like the hockley goalies if you want to add a bit of ' flash ' to the look to impress the kiddies before you blow them up...

surely this is a pisstake?

there's enough kevlar there to stop a bloody 120mm sabot!

I'm more interested what the next generation of wang/spuds protection's going to be like...

What would be the sign to donn these masks?

I think a siren of "dum-dum-de-dumdum-de-dumdum-deedum" you all know the rest ;)

The Gen 3 High Mobility Patrol Order;

And with optional APC module;

Funny how we go round in circles. What next? A stealthy, low visibility, high impact delivery system?

I do like the comparison to Star Wars though. Stranger things have happened.

Latest Threads