Facebook user? Privacy warning

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by happybonzo, Dec 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got this at feck o'clock today.

If you don't know, as of today, Facebook will automatically index all your info on Google, which allows everyone to view it. To change this option, go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'.

Facebook kept this one quiet. Copy and paste onto your status for all your friends ASAP

I haven't been able to check it on Hoax Slayer but better safe etc

2. Facebook have already said that this is not true

3. Bloody hell. Phew!

This is what I got emailed:

4. You are a mug if you use Facebook anyway. I use it to promote my business and that is all. I cannot understand these people who put all their details and stuff on it and then complain when they find their pics doctored and all over the internet and stuff.

5. It's the easy way to stalk people you went to school with.

6. And find out peoples passwords and security codesect

7. Oh yes! I've a 40 yr old school friend who posts stuff like this on her FB. 8O

[​IMG]

8. They've been doing google indexing for years, since at least 2007 for a start.

9. I use it mainly to keep in touch with people that I've met along the way with the job. People from my old regiment, people who have got out. Adresses and phone numbers change all the time, but it is handy to have that way to keep in touch.

Besides anything else, it saves me a fortune on phone bills.

10. FB is ace. Beats sitting in the british legion with a load of old farts who you want to punch in the kisser as you've heard that story a thousand fecking times. Good for totty!

11. Good Lord. I've been missing out. :D

Lits

12. I use it to keep in touch with a few bods I've served with who are now in Germany and the US. However the new settings now display your friend list to the World (you weren't given an option on this when it was done) - or anyone who happens to be looking anyway. Not a big deal, but not something I'm over comfortable with either. Does anyone know how to turn this off?

13. My mate told me to:
    To change this option, go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'.
    Facebook kept this one quiet.

Job done