Facebook "Timeline"

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Frangipano, Jan 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had the below message several times over the past 2 weeks; does anyone please know if is it genuine?

"With the new 'FB timeline' on its way this week for EVERYONE...please do both of us a favor: Hover over my name above. In a few seconds you'll see a box that says "Subscribed". Hover over that, go to "Comments and Likes" and unclick it. That will stop my posts and yours to me from showing up on the side bar for everyone to see, but MOST IMPORTANTLY IT LIMITS HACKERS from invading our profiles. If you repost this I will do the same for you. You'll know I've acknowledged you because if you tell me that you've done it I"ll 'like' it".

2. The bar on the right of the screen is a basically a "live" version of what your online friends are doing on fb without having to stay on the fb home screen, just like the home screen only you can see what your friends are doing, just as only they can see what your doing (if you have your security settings set to "only friends"). I'd say this is a harmless, but also useless chain letter, along those "you need to soon pay for fb gold if you want to keep your account" emails that get sent around now and then. If you click unsubscribe to someone, you will no longer get be able to see their status updates, likes, photos, or videos unless you specifically click on their profile.

3. Whilst this method does work, you'll find that a tinfoil hat gives you even greater protection.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Basically if someone asks you to re-post something it's bollocks. There is a direct correlation (inversely proportional) between the number of "viral statuses" you post and your IQ, so essentially only the really stupid people will ask you to do this and, if they're that stupid, do you honestly want to be following their technical advice?

• Like Like x 3