Facebook Security Update

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Gremlin, Dec 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Facebook has changed the ability to set certain privacy settings, and removed some completely, as of today.

The relevant section is this one:

Beware the security box that pops up when logging on offering to update your settings to the new policy.

This probably matters not a jot to most people, but it does remove editorial power over what people can see.

Regional Groups have also been dumped.

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Especially as FB's new 'recommended' defaults are everything viewable by everyone.

Worth taking five minutes of your time to have a quick recap of who can see what on your privacy settings.

3. Gremlin

Agreed, I thought that I had sewn it up, but got pm'd by a mate to say that I was flashing my bits so to speak! :oops:

4. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

I shall address that immediately - nobody needs to know my preferred brand of honey :wink:

5. Gremlin

She's female. What does it matter to you (and she is not an Arrser anyway; well not in that sense at least!)? :p

6. If you want to hide your friends list: Click on the Profile Tab (adjacent to the Home tab top of page) – if you look to the left scroll down to the Friends box and click the pencil icon, uncheck the "Show my friends on my profile" box. This hides your friend list from a public search....

There are some, who for good reason don't want their "Friends" lists viewable by the whole world.....

7. I guess her mother wasn't in your friends list then?

8. She is actually, but not got round to it yet.

9. Thanks for the warning Gremlin and for the link saintstone.
    Another story in the Metro that made me smile and not a pretty women.

Woman charged over slapping boyfriend with steak

The idea of a slap-up meal was taken a little too far by one woman accused of attacking her terminally ill boyfriend with a raw steak.

Elsie Egan faces domestic abuse charges after the meaty onslaught – which followed a row over which kind of bread they should eat.

Disabled boyfriend Peter Schabhuttl, 49, said he was hit ‘on top of his head with an uncooked steak, approximately 10-16oz’ for wanting a bread roll instead of sliced bread.

Egan, 53, of Dunnellon, Florida, denied wielding the steak but said she slapped him several times ‘so he can learn’.

Police noted redness on Mr Schabhuttl’s cheek and crown.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/805640-woman-charged-over-slapping-boyfriend-with-steak

10. Great response!

11. I wouldn't go near my MIL with a taser... Let alone let her near my fb profile... :D

12. Ive just changed my password here due to that comment of mine. She is at her mothers, with the laptop, and still logged into Arrse. :D

13. With no hint of tinfoil hatism, I'm somewhat wary of a vast international database containing intimate details of 350 million people - particularly when they openly state their intentions to a) discourage privacy and b) profit from it.

14. Check your photo albums settings as well, they're open to everyone unless you change the criteria.