Facebook owns the licence to your uploaded photos!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Jan 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrsCR noticed this on the Terms and Conditions for Facebook.

Have removed all photos bar one profile pic from Facebook. Any pics you leave on there mean you are granting Facebook the worldwide licence to do whatever they want with them.

Sneaky cunts.

2. I don't know what the current situation is, with the new Facebook format, but recall being reluctant to put photos in an ALBUM a year ago. I had a profile picture, but, when I went to put something in an album, it appeared to be a different application. I recall it saying that I gave them access to ALL THE PHOTOS ON MY COMPUTER. I didn't want that to happen, so continued to just put any photos in the Profile Pictures.

3. I hate Facebook and am often "going off on one" on here about it. Some of my moans are in this quote:

..... on this thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=112743/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

4. That piece of licence agreement has been and is used on every major "social networking" site. Its very complicated speak for something as simple as "You give us permission to store the pics, and show them to your friends or other people who stumble on your page". I have never seen a site sell users pics or do anything "naughty" with them, so relax.

And bovvy, the thing i think your are referring to is their upload program. It will only access the pictures in the folders you "take it to", it will access and upload only the ones you tell it to. Its not a silently sending your all you pictures to facebook.

These usage agreements are overly complicated so that they cover any and all bases. A technology based lawsuit is bloody confusing to a judge, so companies try to remove all "if, but, maybes" so that their can only be one outcome.

Yes it seems petty and daft, but some of these law suits are, heres an example. Quite version of that link - A company called Worlds.com holds two patents for "scalable chat" and "interacting in a virtual space" which they feel are being used without permission by games company NCsoft (And by extension every other MMO games company). The patents are so broad spectrum in description they could apply to anything from MSN chat to online checkers, hence over description.

5. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1148510/Facebook-users-protest-website-grabs-rights-photos-wall-posts.html

they've now gone back to the old terms and conditions...

6. Wasn't there something in the news the other week when a FB user was somewhat surprised to see her profile picture being used on a dating site ad publicised by FB?

7. HAH can you imagine the shock!? :D

8. They can use my picture on a dating site if they like - they'll soon be out of business.

9. There was essentially no difference between the old T&C's and the new ones. Initially they ran to nearly 8 pages. FB tried to simplify things and make them a bit easier to understand. Unfortunately that just confused people so they changed them back.

10. If Facebook want to flog photos of my dog taking a dump, or of my arrse, they are welcome to crack on. Like CCTA said, they'd soon be out of business though.

11. That reminds me, must find a new profile picture :twisted:

12. Just don't Hassel the Huff.

13. I've decided on a lovely photo of my shin without much skin - I'm off for a dump; where's my digi camera? :)