Facebook knows where you live?

I don't know how this works, or whether it's a foul rumour, but certainly the check-boxes are all there. I had this by email ...

Facebook launched Facebook Places yesterday. This new setting allows anyone to find out where you are when you are logged in. It gives the actual address and map location of where you are as you use Facebook.

Users of Foursquare (such as myself) will be familiar with geo-tagging. However, the difference here is Facebook does not ask you before altering your settings.

If you do not want your privacy affected in this way go to "Account","Account Settings", "Notifications", then scroll down to "Places" and uncheck the 2 boxes.

Then disable under Privacy Settings as well.
Make sure to SAVE changes.
FYI, I make no further comment at this stage.

It's been trialled in the US for the past few months and is now being launched over here.

Edit:

Ignore that - it's still only available in the US, but the UK interface was rolled out a few weeks ago!

Full details here:

Help Centre | Facebook

Cheers for that.
My settings have now been changed.

Sorry whats that boss? You want to see me immediately in your office to explain my internet usage at work?
Bugger!

As a MASSIVE example of a breach of Data Protection under UK Law, I find this incredibly immoral. Especially as it was introduced [and indeed imposed/exposed] without any warning and, to date, NO notification.

I value the anonymity of Slingsby. I value my own PERSEC even more.

Z

Zarathustra

You either have to tag yourself as being in a place or one of your friends has to tag you. After scanning through the Facebook FAQ it's only available to people in the US with an IPhone or Touch (at the moment).

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I've noticed after updating my iphone there is a map facility that when photo's are tagged in an area it puts them on the map.

You either have to tag yourself as being in a place or one of your friends has to tag you.
As I/Slingsby has no control over who tags me/him, I still find that staggeringly intrusive.
All it needs is one person who knows where I live to tag me/him, and apparently EVERYONE knows.

I don't buy that

Like the obscure 'phone call I've just had from some call centre [in Essex?] who started about problems with fuel bills, and he knew where I lived [well, at least the Island]. WTF? The phone said it was an International Call, so it certainly wasn't bloody Essex.

I've noticed after updating my iphone there is a map facility that when photo's are tagged in an area it puts them on the map.
Settings->Location Services

You can switch off the GPS tagging on photos. FB will strip out the Exif data at the moment so that it's not included, Flickr won't.

Yes you can (at least as far as Places is concerned) - you can turn "Friends can check you into places" to "Disable".
Thanks ... but we should surely be allowed to sign IN to this sort of privacy invasion, not have to find out about it and then start disabling things. I think it's bordering on illegal, IMHO.

BTW ... done that. That's the THIRD place I've had to disable that bloody intrusion. I mean, loads of people know where I live [broadly speaking] but I'm not accepting the option of having some FB nutter turning up at the front door wanting a cuddle with Slingsby! :spiderman:

Good luck to the ******* trying to track me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yorkshire_Warrior The Intelligence Cell 19
Dr_Evil Army Reserve 68
amazing__lobster Gaming and Software 55