Facebook knows where you live?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by blue-sophist, Sep 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I don't know how this works, or whether it's a foul rumour, but certainly the check-boxes are all there. I had this by email ...

FYI, I make no further comment at this stage.

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It's been trialled in the US for the past few months and is now being launched over here.

Edit:

Ignore that - it's still only available in the US, but the UK interface was rolled out a few weeks ago!

Full details here:

Help Centre | Facebook

3. Cheers for that.
    My settings have now been changed.

Sorry whats that boss? You want to see me immediately in your office to explain my internet usage at work?
    Bugger!

4. blue-sophist

As a MASSIVE example of a breach of Data Protection under UK Law, I find this incredibly immoral. Especially as it was introduced [and indeed imposed/exposed] without any warning and, to date, NO notification.

I value the anonymity of Slingsby. I value my own PERSEC even more.

5. You either have to tag yourself as being in a place or one of your friends has to tag you. After scanning through the Facebook FAQ it's only available to people in the US with an IPhone or Touch (at the moment).

6. I've noticed after updating my iphone there is a map facility that when photo's are tagged in an area it puts them on the map.

7. blue-sophist

Useful ... thank you.

It would be nice if FB told UK users what was happening, of course. After the recent [unrelated] issues with Google Street View [starring my wife] I just have this uncomfortable feeling that technology and capabilities are running WAAAAY ahead of pre-notification and management.

8. blue-sophist

As I/Slingsby has no control over who tags me/him, I still find that staggeringly intrusive.
    All it needs is one person who knows where I live to tag me/him, and apparently EVERYONE knows.

I don't buy that

Like the obscure 'phone call I've just had from some call centre [in Essex?] who started about problems with fuel bills, and he knew where I lived [well, at least the Island]. WTF? The phone said it was an International Call, so it certainly wasn't bloody Essex.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Settings->Location Services

You can switch off the GPS tagging on photos. FB will strip out the Exif data at the moment so that it's not included, Flickr won't.

10. Yes you can (at least as far as Places is concerned) - you can turn "Friends can check you into places" to "Disable".

11. blue-sophist

Thanks ... but we should surely be allowed to sign IN to this sort of privacy invasion, not have to find out about it and then start disabling things. I think it's bordering on illegal, IMHO.

BTW ... done that. That's the THIRD place I've had to disable that bloody intrusion. I mean, loads of people know where I live [broadly speaking] but I'm not accepting the option of having some FB nutter turning up at the front door wanting a cuddle with Slingsby! :spiderman:

12. Facebook is also sending out messages regarding people who have been flagged as preadatory paedophiles all my friends list have been getting them this one being the latest
    Welcome to Facebook

13. I'm I the only person on planet earth who finds facebook invasive?

Joey deacons lad - Predatory paeodophiles?

14. You could have changed the auto title to make it a bit more convincing.