Facebook - how exposed is it?

I am regularly being badgered to join facebook as lots of friends use it.
I've always been fairly cagey about having my details posted all over the internet on a website that from what I understand limits the control I have over my information once someone has declared me to be a "friend".

What are the practicalities and issues?

It has occurred to me to register with a silly surname to avoid being picked up by someone just googling....

thats what i do,cos its full of loonies

Red_Troop said:
Or just set your profile to private so only your friends can view it.
Isn't there a danger though that once they add you to their "friends" list that they could link information to you on a public profile?

dont fill any of your information out. You dont have to put stuff in there.

Red_Troop said:
ALWAYS and i mean always check the settings so that only "friends" ie people you approve can view your profile.
When you are googled only your name and photo can be seen.

Any friends request has to be approved by you so... whoever links anything to anywhere has been approved by you. Thus, choose your friends wisely.

para_medic said:
Red_Troop said:
ALWAYS and i mean always check the settings so that only "friends" ie people you approve can view your profile.
When you are googled only your name and photo can be seen.
And your photo only appears real small, incase you're worrying about that.

FB's fine; you can pick and choose what you reveal. Perhaps just put your first name and subsequent initials.

T

Tremaine

Tried Facebook once, within a week it was scribbled all over, by loony munters and chavs I'd never heard of.
You can "delete" your pages but....the damage is done... :eek:

I've had it up for more than a year and have had no problems with it, aside from the irritating ads. Just don't install any apps, don't approve anyone who is not your friend and keep personal information on there to a minimum.

lots of warnings here in Australia about facebook, lots of horror stories too , lots of people being ripped off, ID theft . some people even lost there homes, Returned Servicemens League put out regular warnings about facebook

Step 1: Google the person's name and group. (e.g." John Smith Birmingham Facebook".)
Step 2 Google any 192 style "search directory" and obtain the full address including post code + telephone number.
Step 3 Google "about my place" and obtain an aerial photograph of the address + road map of the surrounding area.
It is scarily easy. Avoid Facebook FFS!

Nignoy said:
lots of warnings here in Australia about facebook, lots of horror stories too , lots of people being ripped off, ID theft . some people even lost there homes, Returned Servicemens League put out regular warnings about facebook

Too true

johno2499 said:
Step 1: Google the person's name and group. (e.g." John Smith Birmingham Facebook".)
Step 2 Google any 192 style "search directory" and obtain the full address including post code + telephone number.
Step 3 Google "about my place" and obtain an aerial photograph of the address + road map of the surrounding area.
Why not just skip step 1 for the same effect?

In the light of all posted here, I have just deactivated my facebook membership.

Scary stuff...

Against my better judgement, I do have a Facebook account, in my real name .... and have even added a couple of applications. But the evidence is that it is NOT a good idea.

There are numerous warnings in these threads and the links they contain:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=2135894.html#2135894

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=100328/.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=96674/.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=92961/.html

I continue to feel uncomfortable about having my real name on a website. And it seems that the privacy settings aren't bulletproof. It seems to me that, if a friend coments on your photo, the whole album is revealed to all their friends?

BUT, CERTAINLY, AVOID THE APPLICATIONS.

Amazingly I am one of the (probably) several million facebook users who have had no problems.

Just avoid printing your credit card details for all to see or advertising your address and the fact that you'll be down the pub between 1900 and 2330 and you'll be fine.

If it was that bad everyone in the world would have been ID thefted by now. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to stay secure on t'web, just use a bit of common dog.

My firm strongly advises its staff to be very careful with FB and its not compatable with any sort of covert career.

You can set it up so you are unsearchable on google and restrict access to your photos etc. My profile pic is normally of an animal rather than me and I don't have much info on it because of ID theft, however one woners how secure the servers are.

I think my firm is ust as worried about "damage the the organisations reputaton" and no one has any control over what ther friends put on, but that is life.

Trotsky

What I don't like is when a huge multi address email comes your way with 100s of email addresses on it anybody can lift your email and plonk it in the search engine and get at least your profile page

Defeats the object of having a "nick name" rather than your full name on

codename1157 said:
Amazingly I am one of the (probably) several million facebook users who have had no problems.

Just avoid printing your credit card details for all to see or advertising your address and the fact that you'll be down the pub between 1900 and 2330 and you'll be fine.

If it was that bad everyone in the world would have been ID thefted by now. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to stay secure on t'web, just use a bit of common dog.
Agreed.

incendiarycutlery said:
johno2499 said:
Why not just skip step 1 for the same effect?
You could skip step 1 - but the ID is usually confirmed by a photo on Facebook.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yorkshire_Warrior The Intelligence Cell 19
Dr_Evil Army Reserve 68
amazing__lobster Gaming and Software 55