Facebook Details Published Online - You think your safe ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DesktopCommando, Jul 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Details of 100m Facebook users collected and published

Personal details of 100m Facebook users have been collected and published on the net by a security consultant.

Ron Bowes used a piece of code to scan Facebook profiles, collecting data not hidden by the user's privacy settings.

The list, which has been shared as a downloadable file, contains the URL of every searchable Facebook user's profile, their name and unique ID.

Mr Bowes said he published the data to highlight privacy issues, but Facebook said it was already public information.

The file has spread rapidly across the net.

Its on Piratebay.org :)

2. If there are photos of me in my white bikini I will not be happy. Nor will the dog.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Bearing in mind the MOD have twice sent me letters explaining that they have accidentally lost laptops containing my name, address, NOK details, service number and bank details, I hardly think this is going to upset too many servicemen.

Just as worrying perhaps is the fact that you can get nearly anyone's address from 192.com

The internet has taken all the fun out of stalking these days. :(

4. Servicemen??????

Oh, and you know my address already. How was the cricket?

5. Ravers

There are levels of decency I feel even internet hackers would hesitate to cross. Hopefully the World will be spared your holiday snaps, for now at least.

6. Ravers

OK and servicewenches who also had their personal details wantonly distributed by their employer.

7. Are you internet fighting a poorly bird?

Oh, and you don't actually know my home address.

Or do you? Doo dee doo doo.

8. Stalker........

9. Its not stalking, its "Electronic reconnaisance". Do keep up.

10. Yes dear.

Oooh did you miss an s out there?

11. So, let me get this right, some 'security consultant' has gathered a load of information from a website, information which is freely available anyway (because the users haven't used the tools available to them to hide it from public view)!

And thats news?

I wonder if I published a copy of the telephone directory online it would get as much coverage?

12. Yep, someone's basically created a phone book for Faceache but with even less information than the Yellow Pages hold about you.

I'm off to the hills with a rifle and a case of baked beans anyway, just in case.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Good idea. The only decent use for Heinz 57 is target practice!