Facebook becomes Meta. Good or bad?

Yes, I'm aware, and that's one reason that I don't use either whatscrapp or instafart.

There is no social media on my phone, I don't even use FB or arrse for that matter on my phone, even through the web browser.

However, Zuck is about maximising revenue from all streams, most of which comes from advertising. Hence he'd like everyone to be on all of his platforms to boost cross platform revenues and advertising uptake.

ETA, I won't be using facial recognition, or eye scanners or the like either. My laptop camera has a small piece of black nasty over the camera which is only removed when I'm doing Zoom or Teams meetings or facetiming the family.

That's exactly the same for me. I also have the camera switched off in the software settings of Edge and in my AV. Same with the mic.

I only use my smart phone for phone calls & text messages and occasionally if I'm away somewhere and have taken my laptop with me, as a means to connect to the interwebs. At all other times my mobile network connection is switched off on the phone as is bluetooth unless I want the ability to use hands free whilst driving, and I very seldom have the need for that. It also extends the battery life between charges. I don't do Zoom or Teams.

lert

LE
That's exactly the same for me. I also have the camera switched off in the software settings of Edge and in my AV. Same with the mic.

I only use my smart phone for phone calls & text messages and occasionally if I'm away somewhere and have taken my laptop with me, as a means to connect to the interwebs. At all other times my mobile network connection is switched off on the phone as is bluetooth unless I want the ability to use hands free whilst driving, and I very seldom have the need for that. It also extends the battery life between charges. I don't do Zoom or Teams.
When you do go away somewhere, how do you find stabling for your horse and cart?

Morning All,
This from the local 'comic'.View attachment 613176
The text is alphabet soup to this technosaur so I don't understand a word of it.
To any tech'., heads. Is it a good or bad thing?
It doesn't effect me...I think?, as I don't use social media and only use my 'smart phone(?), for taking photos, getting information/research and using this site.
I use this for calls.
View attachment 613177

Is that wicker basket for your carrier pigeons?

TBH I doubted that it meant death in Hebrew. I stuck "dead" into Google Translate and it came up with "מֵת" (whatever that is!).

Translating that back into English gave "dead".

So I guess it is true.

Companies usually spend millions on making sure their new name or product name is not a swearword, insult or blasphemy in some foreign tongue. Thus we get abortions like Exxon, Qinetic etc.

Toyota didn't get it right with the MR2 in France so dropped the 2.

I guess FB just thought that as meta is such a common word they could live with the coincidence.

Or Vauxhall's masterpiece, Nova: no go in Spanish?

Crap typo edit

When you do go away somewhere, how do you find stabling for your horse and cart?

Quite easy thank you. How about you? Are you able to survive without being shackled to the latest bit of high tech that costs an arm and a leg and is out of date before you've even paid for it at the till (or online)? Are you one of those 'early adopters' who has to be the first to purchase the latest 'must have' gadget and gizmo so you can wave it in front of your mates to show them how cool you are? Are you one of those people who can't even walk down the street with staring at your phone screen? Do you need Waze to cross the road? Are you one of those people who needs your fridge to send you a text message to tell you that you need to buy some more milk instead of just opening the door and using your eyes?

I don't need all that bollox. Some of it is useful but I can get by quite easily without.

He must have spelt it wrong

251873596_4710155969024290_5632426767788358517_n.jpg

lert

LE
Quite easy thank you. How about you? Are you able to survive without being shackled to the latest bit of high tech that costs an arm and a leg and is out of date before you've even paid for it at the till (or online)? Are you one of those 'early adopters' who has to be the first to purchase the latest 'must have' gadget and gizmo so you can wave it in front of your mates to show them how cool you are? Are you one of those people who can't even walk down the street with staring at your phone screen? Do you need Waze to cross the road? Are you one of those people who needs your fridge to send you a text message to tell you that you need to buy some more milk instead of just opening the door and using your eyes?

I don't need all that bollox. Some of it is useful but I can get by quite easily without.
U ok hun?

You and me both brother. We raised 6 kids, now parents themselves, how did we manage, its a real mystery. At no time did any of them have all the gadgets and gizmos that kids have now, Now retired, how are we ever going to manage without all the superfluous bollox that seems to take over the lives of the "trendy, must haves"

life can be such a struggle....not! :p

endure

GCM
You and me both brother. We raised 6 kids, now parents themselves, how did we manage, its a real mystery. At no time did any of them have all the gadgets and gizmos that kids have now, Now retired, how are we ever going to manage without all the superfluous bollox that seems to take over the lives of the "trendy, must haves"

life can be such a struggle....not! :p
Until Gutenberg came along nobody had books...

My greatest concern with FB is the subtle social engineering and the lack of realistic accountability.

I use it to keep in contact with my global family but I do have it adblocked to death. Anything that gets through is blocked and classed as offensive.

I also use it to get wokes to provide evidence for their point of view. Always a fun activity on a rainy day.

Last edited:
And just incase anyone gets confused about Metadata

251556960_10165734012290147_820915367145486_n.jpg

You're saying you and Jimmy raised six kids together? That is, um, "progressive"! :p

It was a tough gig but where some lead others follow.

Facebook becomes Meta.
I predict a brave new world of social media where millions of fascinating people will take pictures of their meals/cats/interesting lives and post them for our enjoyment. Where advertisers will helpfully point account holders in the direction of unbelievable, must have bargains. Where "celebrities" will honour us with thoughtful and insightful comments on the news of the day..................

.....................on second thoughts, maybe not.