Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by BWsamwatt, Feb 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm about to apply for a FAC, but before wasting £50 I wanted to know what the chances of me getting it are.

    I'm going for a .270 Win/WSM and will be registered to my unit, I've given the full specifications of the armoury. the rifle is going to be used to game management, on invitation estates (my unit has been invited to do alot of game management around the highlands, however a FAC is required to take part because the cost of hiring Ghillies would be insane).

    Crimimal record is clean apart from a speeding ticket, and my P File contains nothing worse than a show parade.

    Any thoughts guys?
  2. As long as you can prove good reason to own one you'll be fine. If you get knocked back I belive you get your money refunded. Might be worth trying to get some ground of your own locally to shoot as it will give a bit of weight to needing one. So start knocking on local farmers or land oweners doors best of luck
  3. As I said, it'll be a unit-led thing, there shouldn't be a requirement for me to get land owners permission, and the end-state will be Level 2 qual in Deer management.
  4. You will however need to prove that you HAVE permission.
  5. jim24

    jim24 Book Reviewer

    When it comes to dealing with Mr Plod, bullshit baffles brains, the more information you provide the more likely you are to get your FAC, I always kept a file of all club memberships held, and letters of permission, invitations to shoots ect
  6. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    being a serving soldier doesnt exempt you from the firearms acts when not on duty. Should you be on duty then the unit should provide the kit. If the unit is organising the work but its not duty (a difficult idea similar to giving up free time to train for sports) then you should be reasonably allowed to use your own kit. You still need letters from the unit (unit organised sport) stating that they have permission to shoot. By he way Ghillies are only about £100 a day and well worth their expertise. the Plod can insist upon a raft of conditions applicable to your fac which are outside of the firearms acts but considered to be reasonable practice such as mentoring. Prepare a sporting CV. Get thhe units nominate junior occifer to prepare letters of support detailing the ground where you have permission to stalk and detailing who will be in charge and their sporting credentials.
    Your FAc application fee is refundable should you be refused for any reason!
    Any queeries on how to deal with plods oddball questions/answers then pm me!
  7. And try to keep a straight face when the FEO says things like "Well a .270 is much safer than a .308 because it's a smaller number." Many of them have never touched a firearm and are not frightfully well trained, and tend to come out with all manner of mirth-provoking howlers.
  8. jim24

    jim24 Book Reviewer

    That reminds me of, some years ago, one of my home security visits, the young copper was quit impressed by my set up, alarms,dogs ect but the minute he saw my stainless Ruger Mini 14 he went into full "A Team" mode. I was not impressed
  9. Is it worth doing a Deer Society training course or similar?
  10. jim24

    jim24 Book Reviewer

    Most certainly IMHO, as I said the more the better, The Police just love paperwork, they were even impressed by my membership of German gun clubs, which had absolutely nothing to do with them,or the issue of my FAC but the paperwork looked good
  11. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    As I said earlier get a sporting CV together and be prepared for strange questions/requests from plod!
  12. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Not without completion of a level 1 course first. You can have a great portfolio but without a level 1 course pass the level 2 cert wont be issued!
  13. Out of interest, do you run level 1 and 2 courses, and if so, where are you based? :)
  14. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    I run an intro course to the same testing level as DSC1 but dont have a Lantra license. I should have two lkads qualified to carry out my assesments sometime this year so will be able to get that license then.
    The course I run is recognised as a suitable qualification by the Police and I also act as a mentor for those unlucky enough to have that condition applied. I believe that the Police have a regional Firearms group where they exchange this info so I am listed on the records for all the constabularies that fall within the southern group for England. If your FEO needed to check he could call Lewes HQ and ask, I often get out of area requests for training.
    I'm writing to Sussex HQ now detailing dates for mentoring (in advance)of a friends daughter. They normally wait to recieve the letter detailing my happiness with her/his skills and maturity for stalking but now are asking to commit in advance which is difficult but achievable. I'll submit a list of two weekend per month when I am available which should keep them happy. You cant help the weather and its pointless stalking if the deer arent playing so indoor training and range work will fill those dates.
  15. Thanks - a deerstalking qualification is on my 'to-do' list for the future!