FAC renewals: anyone suffering?

My club sent an email about it as several people had been effected. Or being charged silly money.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
Nothing here yet, I do get feedback from syndicate members and clients but so far no one has moaned to me. I thought the GMC had agreed to authorise the letters but it was down to individual GPs. Here our mob seem to approach the GP themselves if I read the form correctly.

ugly

LE
The Telegraph not telling the whole truth there, if the delay in issue is down to the police (which a medical letter would be) then the guns don't have to be lodged and a section 7 can be issued. The dopey Tory MP however should read his personal mail and return the forms in good time, then I would be able to support his whinge, alas he is a bellthronk!

No particular dramas with my GP this time around, though it did take him about 6 weeks to sort the letter out which took me well past my renewal date.

On the last renewal they weren't particularly bothered about lodging guns, which, given it took them 6 months to process my renewal is just as well. This time however they wanted my guns lodging on the day of expiry as they 'don't like' issuing temporary permits.

I ended up quoting the Home Office guidance to them and was promptly issued with temporary tickets.

Remember though, Section 7 certs do not cover Section 5 exceptions (expanding ammo), so no dear stalking, AOLQ or vermin control. Until expanding ammo is moved back to Section 1, hopefully sometime this year.

The GP requirement is a complete farce anyway - but then again it was probably always intended as yet another hindrance on gun ownership, rather than any real world contribution to public safety.

Need to renew my SGC, slightly concerned that as I have been on my new patch for only a year or so there is no-one of "Good Standing" that I yet know well enough (or trust enough) who I can approach to act as a referee.

IIRC, the referee is required to have known the applicant for at least two years so that means I shall probably have to chase up some Druid chums who have helped me out in the past.

My vague concern is that there may be some reluctance on the part of Lancashire Plods to accept a very much out of area referee and so leading to an increase in the inevitable F*** Around Factor.

Time to make a few 'phone calls - Gawd give me strength.

ugly

LE
My vague concern is that there may be some reluctance on the part of Lancashire Plods to accept a very much out of area referee and so leading to an increase in the inevitable F*** Around Factor.
Tough on them, the rules is the rules, they have access to pnc they can verify your referees

The GP requirement is a complete farce anyway - but then again it was probably always intended as yet another hindrance on gun ownership, rather than any real world contribution to public safety.
Mine wouldn't have been an issue if I hadn't had to declare that I'd a period of time off sick due to stress following the death of a parent.

I would have hoped that fact that I hadn't gone postal in the following three years would have been an indication that there was no cause for concern.

Need to renew my SGC, slightly concerned that as I have been on my new patch for only a year or so there is no-one of "Good Standing" that I yet know well enough (or trust enough) who I can approach to act as a referee.

IIRC, the referee is required to have known the applicant for at least two years so that means I shall probably have to chase up some Druid chums who have helped me out in the past.

Time to make a few 'phone calls - Gawd give me strength.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the same Referee you did five years ago? As @ugly says it's not down to geography.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Essex were pretty quick - 3 months I think and some of the delay down to me. They apparently asked my doc if he'd be prepared to put in a letter but then didn't actually ask him to do so. The doc charged me £30 for the service then refunded it when plod didn't write back. All a bit odd as I had a renewal "interview" on the phone and no home visit.

BASC letter on FAC medicals is in the link.

Effectively if the GP does not respond to the police request within 21 days then the police must assume that there are no medical reasons to refuse the grant of the FAC.

My son applied on 1 September last year to renew his FAC that was to expire on the 29 November. He still hasn't had the renewal but was issued with a temporary permit without any problem.

Link:

BASC alerts members to changes in licensing process - BASC

Did my renewal just over a year ago sent it in 3 months early with a letter stating they could contact my GP if they wished however I was not prepared to agree in advance to pay an undisclosed fee for something which wasn't a Home Office requirement as part of the renewal process - my application was returned to me with a covering letter telling me they needed the GP report, I sent it all back again with a highlighted copy of my original letter. They made me wait until 4pm on the final day of my existing licence before allowing me to pick the new one up. Hopefully things will be clearer and more sensible next renewal

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
All a bit odd as I had a renewal "interview" on the phone and no home visit.
Essex threatened this unless they received extra funding, no reason why not really. I see my FEO fairly regularly and often chat.

ugly

LE
I understand my next renewal will be a phone conversation.
TBH I'm not sure why this isn't more widespread unless there are questions to be asked outside of the ordinary

TBH I'm not sure why this isn't more widespread unless there are questions to be asked outside of the ordinary
It used to be a policy of renewing by post aka 'postal renewals' on three then five year renewals if no change. Cullen then reported, 'how can you know there is no change without a visit' or words to that effect. Most (not all) went back to 100% visits and because of staffing issues after 2010/12 many now do post and telephone enquiry on a 'risk assessed' basis ie depending on convictions and/or intelligence.

My S7 permits were issued automatically albeit the firearm one needed changing (their mistake) and obviously had to put my S5 exp ammo in with a dealer.