FAC question

itchy300

Old-Salt
Afternoon gents,

I'm selling a .22 rifle however I'm unsure of the procedure so I can keep the .22 slot on my FAC, I'm not immediately purchasing a new rifle.

I've read the through the s/Yorkshire police website and had a good Google but I'm still not sure what I need to do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you!

(If we want to use this thread for FAC/SGC questions that'd be useful I think)

ugly

LE
Ok put simply you notify them that is has been sold, then apply for a one for one variation (for free) and there should be no time limit (there isn't in law) for using the slot but it all depends upon force policy and how nice your FEO is.

Afternoon gents,

I'm selling a .22 rifle however I'm unsure of the procedure so I can keep the .22 slot on my FAC, I'm not immediately purchasing a new rifle.

I've read the through the s/Yorkshire police website and had a good Google but I'm still not sure what I need to do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you!

(If we want to use this thread for FAC/SGC questions that'd be useful I think)
N Yorks, but still a fairly good summary:
  • You can only acquire a section 1 firearm or sound moderator if your Firearm Certificate shows the relevant authority to purchase or acquire that particular type of weapon.
  • If you wish to add an extra or replace a current weapon, you need to apply for a variation, by completing the form 201v below.
  • Send your current Firearm Certificate with the application form (201V below).
  • There is no fee if you are replacing one weapon for another, providing your application is received along with proof of the weapon transfer and your firearm certificate, within 7 days of the weapon disposal.
  • If you wish to add the authority to acquire a weapon or sound moderator a fee of £20.00 is payable (to PCC for North Yorkshire).
  • Once the relevant authority has been granted, please then follow the weapon transfer procedure advised below.
Form 201v

Extract from the guidance as well and made into three paagraphs to make it a bit easier to read.
“One for one” variations

10.71 A variation is always necessary if a certificate holder wishes to change one of the firearms, even if they wish to purchase one identical to the one they are selling (Wilson v Coombe, Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July 1988 ).

“One for one” variation refers to firearms that are authorised to be acquired following the disposal of a firearm or a request to change an existing authority to acquire. There is no set time in which the certificate holder must apply for a replacement authority once their firearm is disposed of. The keeping of open authorities indefinitely should be discouraged, subject to a collector seeking particular firearms. Applications for “one for one” variations should be made by the certificate holder submitting their firearm certificate together with a completed Form 202 to the police firearms licensing department. Such variations are processed free of charge.

In most cases, it will not be necessary to re-examine the applicant’s circumstances. Further enquiries will be necessary, however, if for example the application is for a change of use or for a fullbore firearm when the holder’s shooting club only has facilities for small-bore shooting.

As above mentioned by @ugly re 'time limit'

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I once kept a one for one slot open for three certificate durations mainly due to a lack of available firearms in that calibre.
I don't bother now, I keep the minimum and just "test" the business stock and write a review. I've not added slots for two renewals so far!

I once kept a one for one slot open for three certificate durations mainly due to a lack of available firearms in that calibre.
I don't bother now, I keep the minimum and just "test" the business stock and write a review. I've not added slots for two renewals so far!
Like many dealers, ‘testing purposes’ :)

Just got my coterminous renewal paperwork thru’. Need to find land in a fortnight or I’m looking at long term storage until I get some free time.

ugly

LE
Luckily my land form says 2700 acres. The only downside is the graft as a keeper!

itchy300

Old-Salt
Thanks gents much appreciated.

Fortunately I have a tame FEO who's exact words when he came for my grant were 'I see you're in club X....I'll tell you before the interview starts I'll give you whatever you ask for'

ROGER!! I really had to insist that I didn't want slugs for the shotgun which I now realise was a mistake.

Thanks again chaps and hopefully the thread continues as a place licencing questions.

Mick9abf

War Hero
Apply for the one for one before you sell your current .22 or you will most likely be charged for a variation, this was advice given to me by an FEO.

Latest Threads