FAC/JTAC Course - still All Arms?

They are both the same FAC Forward air controller is the British name, JTAC Joint terminal Air controller is what the US call them. The course is still open to all arms.

Not sure you will need to speak to your brigade air cell, or tacp. You need to get on a pre pre course about 3 days held by your tacp, the sub fac will sign you off to then attended the pre course testing at RAF Lemming before they will load you onto the 8 week Cse.

Roughly 5 courses per year. You must be a substantive Cpl and not colour blind. As already stated, need a Subfac to sign you off before attending PCS (Pre Course Screening) at Leeming. Map reading skills must be excellent. You'll be surprised at the number of people who got their east and west mixed up when a bit of (self induced) pressure was added.

You will only get the course if your in a FAC/JTAC pid within your Bde for Herrick, or your posted to a TACp as an officer(2 i/c TACP are the SNCO and need to have done a tour already as a FAC/JTAC. Of course if your SF you get it, as well as RAF reg. Your BDE SupFAC will hold unit pre-course screening followed by STANEVAL pre-course screening before you attend the course held at RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire.It's a 7 week basic course followed by a good few months of training ran by your Div/Bde SupFAC. There is a difference between JTAC/FAC and as stated before the confusion happens when working with the U.S. Military, however as far as UK is concerned it's the same. It's a great job however be prepped for some serious time away.

You will only get the course if your in a FAC/JTAC pid within your Bde for Herrick, or your posted to a TACp as an officer(2 i/c TACP are the SNCO and need to have done a tour already as a FAC/JTAC. Of course if your SF you get it, as well as RAF reg. Your BDE SupFAC will hold unit pre-course screening followed by STANEVAL pre-course screening before you attend the course held at RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire.It's a 7 week basic course followed by a good few months of training ran by your Div/Bde SupFAC. There is a difference between JTAC/FAC and as stated before the confusion happens when working with the U.S. Military, however as far as UK is concerned it's the same. It's a great job however be prepped for some serious time away.
Reference the TACP 2ic being an already toured FAC, not true anymore as you can come straight off the FAC course and on to the TACP course, depending on places available.

I've passed my Bde pre course for FAC and my next step is the screening at RAF Leeming.
Any tips for the course or anything in particular I should concentrate on for preparation?

Reference the TACP 2ic being an already toured FAC, not true anymore as you can come straight off the FAC course and on to the TACP course, depending on places available.
Sorry mate your incorrect check out JSP 498 , of course you got the odd RAF Reg punter getting squared away. But the JSP is the gospel.

I've passed my Bde pre course for FAC and my next step is the screening at RAF Leeming.
Any tips for the course or anything in particular I should concentrate on for preparation?
Map reading, Compass in degrees not mils, and in your ears back on the course. The hard work and the real learning starts if you pass the cours.

Seems noddy, but make sure you can get your 'east' and 'west' correct when there is a bit of pressure. An RA Sgt on my PCS kept getting them mixed up. Unsurprisingly, he failed.... Map reading in degrees as previously said. Look at contours too, so you can say what a feature is (ie a spur or ridge) from the contours.

The JSP 918 is out now, a few 2 i/c TACP are first tour FAC's however since the pub is out , all tacp 2 i/c PIDs are for legacy FAC's.

It's almost like there should be some sort of FAC career stream........

It's almost like there should be some sort of FAC career stream........
Ha ha ha , makes much too much sense, it would save millions and we could manage with a lot less FACs on deployments as the FAC's skill set would be far greater.Instead of training brand new FAC's for every tour, you could have old sweat FAC's that could do twice the job with half the manpower.

I was in 613/614 TACP / FAC at 216 during the Aldershot years. Right good skive inflating blow up tanks in the middle of nowhere fo a septic pilot do his stuff. This was pre 14int.

So what?

I predate you by umpteen years.......742 TACP but in those alcyion days we knew
what the fcuk we were doing, including controlling Canadian F104s who were the
only ones to attack at 540Kts.

Euronato Courses held at Furstenfeldbruck, low load the Spartan down and cadge
a lift back in a Kraut Transall, all this was after the Ferret era.

So did they have Spindles in 14 then?...they didn't......ahem!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Gunners 8
dogmonkey Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
B The Intelligence Cell 10