Fabulous free book competition – warrior women

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

FrankIG

War Hero
Not set by me - I don't have the intela....inteli.....branes to come up with them. Anyway, they are about wimmin and what I know about wimmin can be written on............... something
Is that on something very very small? .... like wot I would have to use for my wimmin knowledge things

Just out of interest - for the purpose of this quiz, is Dutch interchangeable with Belgian?
Which version?

Wallon, Flemish, Picard, Champenois, Lorrain, Low Dietsch, Franconian?

They are a very strange lot the Belges.

Miner

ADC
Piece of piss. Only had to use Google for all the answers.

Ergo, I should win as my knowledge is obviously lacking in all things military relating to women, and this book would benefit me far more than anyone else.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Which version?

Wallon, Flemish, Picard, Champenois, Lorrain, Low Dietsch, Franconian?

They are a very strange lot the Belges.
Writing as the descendent of a granddad who was 1/2 Belgian I agree with that remark. BTB does that make me 1/8 strange or interesting?

For the record he was Flemish but was made to learn French at school by Catholic monks who beat him until he did. They also brewed beer which the boys drank at breakfast lunch and dinner. If they did anything else he didn't mention it but I suppose he might have been too pissed to remember.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bump - get your Google fingers working and enter this great competition.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Saturday BUMP!

Remember, some of the questions are two-parters!!

RTFQ :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Saturday BUMP!

Remember, some of the questions are two-parters!!

RTFQ :)
These are real questions not like the usual sort along the lines of who was Prime Minister during Gulf War 1?
A. John Captain
B. John Major
C. John Colonel

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These are real questions not like the usual sort along the lines of who was Prime Minister during Gulf War 1?
A. John Captain
B. John Major
C. John Colonel
Anyone who has ever watched British TV will know that there are plenty of people who would get that one wrong:

Stewart White: Who had a worldwide hit with "It's A Wonderful World"?
Contestant: I don't know.
White: I'll give you a couple of clues. What do you call the part between your hand and your elbow?
Contestant: Arm.
White: Correct. And if you're not weak, you're ...?
Contestant: Strong.
White: Correct: And what was Lord Mountbatten's first name?
Contestant: Louis.
White: Well, there we are then. So who had a worldwide hit with the song "It's A Wonderful World"?
Contestant: Frank Sinatra?

Jeremy Paxman: What is another name for "cherrypickers" and "cheesemongers"?
Contestant: Homosexuals.
Paxman: No. They're regiments in the British Army who will be very upset with you.

The answer's C by the way!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The membership of ARRSE have repeatedly demonstrated their inability to use Google when supplying answers to competition questions!!! :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just a reminder to all entering this competition - some of the questions are two-parters, so just giving the individual's name is not sufficient.

RTFQ FFS!! :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Weekend bump - still a week to go to get your entry in for this competition.

Remember RTFQs!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Only 2 days to go but plenty of time to get your entry in. Out of 52 entries to date 33 are fully correct. Many of the incorrect entries are because the questions(s) have not been answered IN FULL!

Remember RTFQ (Read the F***ing Question!)

Link for entry in the original post.

Oyibo

LE
:oops: Had to Google all of them. :oops:

Very interesting reading the answers though. I was only aware of two - the bugs and the resistance.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Only 2 days to go but plenty of time to get your entry in. Out of 52 entries to date 33 are fully correct. Many of the incorrect entries are because the questions(s) have not been answered IN FULL!

Remember RTFQ (Read the F***ing Question!)

Link for entry in the original post.
So about a 1 in 6 chance of winning!
Are we allowed multiple entries?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks to all who took part. The winners will be announced early next week and I will be sending emails to them.

The correct answers are:

1.Who was the US Navy Reserve officer who coined the term “bug” for a computer glitch, and what was the “bug”?

Answer
a. Grace Hopper.
b. A moth trapped behind a computer relay panel

2. Who was the World War 2 Dutch heroine whose nickname was “Little Cyclone” and what was the name of the escape line she ran?

Answer
a. Andree de Jongh.
b. Comet

3. Which 18th-century cross-dressing spy wrote: “God created man and woman, the one for doing, the other for doing bad. So long as a man is a man, the Earth is his; so long as a woman is a woman, virtue is hers”?
Answer
Charles d'Eon de Beaumont (I also accepted his ‘non de guerre’)

Thanks again to Quercus Publishing and Flint Marketing for donating the prizes and questions for this completion.

Look out for more competitions in future newsletters.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks to all who took part. The winners will be announced early next week and I will be sending emails to them.
Look out for more competitions in future newsletters.
Can you remember my email address or do you want it resent?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou COVID-19 30
vinniethemanxcat Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 4