Fabricant MP - Honourary ARRSEr ?

Strangely Gray

Old-Salt
This is what happens when you ARRSE in the real world.

Courtesy of Sky news.

MP Tweets: I'd Punch Journalist In Throat

Last Updated 11:31 20/06/2014
Conservative MP Michael Fabricant is under fire for tweeting about "punching" a newspaper columnist "in the throat".

He made the comment about journalist, commentator and author Yasmin Alibhai-Brown - who demanded he apologise, and for Prime Minister David Cameron to take action.

The MP for Lichfield was responding to a heated clash between Mrs Alibhai-Brown and magazine columnist Rod Little on Channel 4 News on Thursday night.

He tweeted this morning: "I could never appear on a discussion prog with @y_alibhai I would either end up with a brain haemorrhage or by punching her in the throat."

Mr Fabricant also referred to her as "ghastly" in an earlier tweet - and retweeted a post by another account which said she "should be deported".

Mrs Alibhai-Brown, a Muslim who came to Britain from Uganda in 1972, responded and told Sky News: "I am a woman, I am not white and I don't take s**t. These people think I should be their cleaner.

"He is going to have to apologise or Cameron will have to do something.

"Threatening violence against women is not acceptable."

Mr Fabricant immediately apologised for his comment in several tweets - including one which he posted directly to the journalist herself - insisting it was not a serious threat of violence.

He said: "Just out of dentist. 1 It appears that some people who don't know me think I actually go round punching "in the throat". Not true.

"2. If anyone believes I would seriously threaten someone with violence, I of course withdraw and apologise.

".Sorry @y_alibhai if you actually thought I would punch you. I actually don't do that sort of thing. But you are utterly infuriating! xx

"So just for the avoidance of any doubt: I am v sorry for tweet. It was wrong to joke abt punching + I completely withdraw and apologise."

But his apology was rejected by the journalist, who replied: "@Mike_Fabricant the tweet was offensive & your 'apology' useless. Tories like you think people like me should be ayahs or selling you curry."

Sky's Darren McCaffrey said: "The Conservative Party were pretty quick in reacting in saying that he should apologies, but it is pretty clear from the tweet that has just been sent by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown that that is not enough."

Downing Street said Mr Fabricant's comments were "completely unacceptable" and "in poor taste", adding there is "never any excuse to suggest violence".

Gloria De Piero MP, Labour's shadow minister for women and equalities, described Mr Fabricant's tweet as "utterly appalling" and called on Mr Cameron to "set out what action he will be taking".

Seeking Enlightenment by looking up my ARRSE

S

syledis

i watched that last night and the the presenter was an utter disgrace, and Alibabba Brown is the Muslim Diane Abbott.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Now, if i was him, i would sue her for slander/libel for suggesting he was racist

Strangely Gray

Old-Salt
I haven't seen the interview and my iPhone won't let me post video anyway if anyone can help with a short précis or link I would be grateful.
I'm sure there are baboons on mars that know he wasn't serious and it was an attempt at humour through an outrageous statement, but what was he thinking, he should have sussed it would end in an outrage convoy complete with fly past and circus elephants.

Video of the interview which brought about the Fabricant comment

She really is an obnoxious bitch......

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Now, if i was him, i would sue her for slander/libel for suggesting he was racist

And for suggesting that he would be prepared to employ her as a cleaner.

What really grips me is the way people run straight to the "headmaster" (Cameron in this case) to settle the matter.
He should tell her to sort it herself and grow up.
(I find her response, comparing white and non white females, a bit more offensive than anything the MP said).

SixBadges

Old-Salt
What an annoying woman. Fabricant says she's annoying so she accuses him of 1) racism 2) elitism and 3) sexism. She seems to have proven his point entirely. I class this type of "journalism" as trolling. She should not be given the column inches to pursue her own publicity like this. Surely there are now laws against trolling.

This is what happens when you ARRSE in the real world.

Courtesy of Sky news.

MP Tweets: I'd Punch Journalist In Throat

Last Updated 11:31 20/06/2014
Conservative MP Michael Fabricant is under fire for tweeting about "punching" a newspaper columnist "in the throat".

He made the comment about journalist, commentator and author Yasmin Alibhai-Brown - who demanded he apologise, and for Prime Minister David Cameron to take action.

The MP for Lichfield was responding to a heated clash between Mrs Alibhai-Brown and magazine columnist Rod Little on Channel 4 News on Thursday night.

He tweeted this morning: "I could never appear on a discussion prog with @y_alibhai I would either end up with a brain haemorrhage or by punching her in the throat."

Mr Fabricant also referred to her as "ghastly" in an earlier tweet - and retweeted a post by another account which said she "should be deported".

Mrs Alibhai-Brown, a Muslim who came to Britain from Uganda in 1972, responded and told Sky News: "I am a woman, I am not white and I don't take s**t. These people think I should be their cleaner.

"He is going to have to apologise or Cameron will have to do something.

"Threatening violence against women is not acceptable."

Mr Fabricant immediately apologised for his comment in several tweets - including one which he posted directly to the journalist herself - insisting it was not a serious threat of violence.

He said: "Just out of dentist. 1 It appears that some people who don't know me think I actually go round punching "in the throat". Not true.

"2. If anyone believes I would seriously threaten someone with violence, I of course withdraw and apologise.

".Sorry @y_alibhai if you actually thought I would punch you. I actually don't do that sort of thing. But you are utterly infuriating! xx

"So just for the avoidance of any doubt: I am v sorry for tweet. It was wrong to joke abt punching + I completely withdraw and apologise."

But his apology was rejected by the journalist, who replied: "@Mike_Fabricant the tweet was offensive & your 'apology' useless. Tories like you think people like me should be ayahs or selling you curry."

Sky's Darren McCaffrey said: "The Conservative Party were pretty quick in reacting in saying that he should apologies, but it is pretty clear from the tweet that has just been sent by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown that that is not enough."

Downing Street said Mr Fabricant's comments were "completely unacceptable" and "in poor taste", adding there is "never any excuse to suggest violence".

Gloria De Piero MP, Labour's shadow minister for women and equalities, described Mr Fabricant's tweet as "utterly appalling" and called on Mr Cameron to "set out what action he will be taking".

The lesson to be learned is, just do it, dont threaten.

SixBadges

Old-Salt
"He is going to have to apologise or Cameron will have to do something."
For an author, Y.A-B seems to have a very poor grasp of the subjunctive tense. Or perhaps she really believes that she can give orders to the Prime Minister.

I.A. Dada

War Hero
She is disgusting and creepy. He is making the fundamental mistaking of attempting rational debate with a professional ideologue.

But then they probably both got paid, and he got to plug his book.

philc

LE
She is another example as Rod Liddle points out of a professional liberal whinny twat, they play the race, bigot, homophobe, sexist card so often that its lost its meaning. The world would be a better place if they were cleansed.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
She is disgusting and creepy. He is making the fundamental mistaking of attempting rational debate with a professional ideologue.

But then they probably both got paid, and he got to plug his book.

She's like any other TV evangelist/shockjock/snakeoil peddler - intellectually bankrupt and utterly shameless. She knows what pays the mortgage, she knows what her feeble-minded flock want to hear and she delivers the necessary drivel time after time.

It's a shame that her staunch enthusiasm for all things Islamic doesn't actually extend to taking up residence somewhere in the Caliphate, where she could exchange ideas on the role and status of women with fellow practitioners of the Religion of Peace.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just seen her on Sky News. What a loathsome woman. She was saying that a few years ago some conservative councillor wanted to do something violent to her and that she gets threats all the time.
Well here's some advice, try toning down the way you speak, that way you won't annoy so many people.
And if you read what this Fabrcant said he didn't actually threaten her did he.
She was twisting the words said and by the end of the report I too had a profound dislike for the woman.
Bloody grow up, you like flinging the mud, you should learn to take it, Fabricants mistake, bloody apologising, always a sign of weakness!

Last edited:

Latest Threads