Fab free music what is LEGAL

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
and if you get a hassle, PM me. This is not some file share scrip kiddy bollocks, this is music for free. And because you cant download, it is legal.

For my money, its better than iTunes. You can search, and it has some well obscure stuff. Search 'Poisoning pigeons in the park'? iTunes would struggle with that, and if it found it, it would charge you a quid.

Spotify

Do a Google.

Its the new black.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
RESULT!

Thanks

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep - and a bit Northern Europe too - quite a lot of Swedish, Norwegian etc tracks and bands in there amongst the usual English language suspects.

Quality app that you download and install.

Do a VERY quick search for your genre, namd, artist or whatever, it lists is, you double-click it, it plays immediately - and it's top quality too - AND FREE!?!??

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
PrinceAlbert said:
Is it streaming media?
Dunno. But you fit an audio lead from your laptop (headphones plug) to your stereo /Bose / speakers and you have instant music. Like iTunes, you can make albums.

And best of all? Its legal because you are not downloading content. They cant nick you for it.

All those obscure tracks you wouldnt pay a quid for? Listening to Glendale Train right now. And grinning, grinning.

Just done it....... how easy is that?

I hope this isn't a bone question, I take it I can't transfer these tunes to my mp3 player or save them to 'my music'.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jacob1650 said:
Just done it....... how easy is that?

I hope this isn't a bone question, I take it I can't transfer these tunes to my mp3 player or save them to 'my music'.
Dunno. I suspect that would count as a download, so it would be illegal?

I've just pointed Spotify to The Sculpted Fairy, the Memsahibs personal trainer. He claims there is not a streaming programme he cannot download and he is on the case this evening. If he succeeds I shall report back.

Just so we all know what not to do. So we arent breaking any laws.

Any sound played on your PC can be captured by the most basic of recorders even the one that comes with windows. I prefer to use the freeware application Audacity it lets me save in a variety of formats

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
the_butler said:
Any sound played on your PC can be captured by the most basic of recorders even the one that comes with windows. I prefer to use the freeware application Audacity it lets me save in a variety of formats
Jesus. A tech enabled Scouser..

Somebody hold me tight. I am very afraid.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
cupoftea said:
Get it while its going! I can't find the particular link but the 'music industry' is doing its utmost to get it shut down. Surprise surprise.
Meh. Spotify was all over the papers last weekend. Where the ARRSE goes, the world follows. Truly.

I just skimmed it, but so far as I can see it works all ends and sides. You cant download the content (sure), and the artistes get their bit from the revenue from adverts played every 20 minutes.

Given that the record companies are banjaxed by free downloads, Spotify seems a way forward that pleases everybody?

TheIronDuke said:
cupoftea said:
Get it while its going! I can't find the particular link but the 'music industry' is doing its utmost to get it shut down. Surprise surprise.
Meh. Spotify was all over the papers last weekend. Where the ARRSE goes, the world follows. Truly.

I just skimmed it, but so far as I can see it works all ends and sides. You cant download the content (sure), and the artistes get their bit from the revenue from adverts played every 20 minutes.

Given that the record companies are banjaxed by free downloads, Spotify seems a way forward that pleases everybody?
Its true that its totoally legal... for now perhaps. It is definitely legal in Sweden where Spotify are based. The link I read seems to have disappeared but the insecure big name music companies are trying to get Spotify restricted to Sweden so that people everywhere else won't be able to use it and (they hope) will have to buy music from them instead - just like they did with Pandora in the US.

Spotify don't seem to be phased and seem to fancy their chances in court though, which is encouraging.

Here is a link for anyone who's interested in the mechanics of Spotify http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/review/2009/03/05/Spotify--The-Future-of-Music-/p1

Edited for incorrect linkage

For me, it is a free iTunes. I've set up a playlist other than the one that comes as standard. I now have over 5,000 tunes on that list. Set on shuffle it works a treat. There is stuff on there that I cannot find on iTunes. Sure, it will not d/l to my Touch but that is no great problem. My iTunes has over 6,000 tunes; think how much I could have saved!