Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F35 - Money well spent.

Humperdoo

Clanker
Nope. EAP was a tech demonstrator based on BAE designs, it was more about pushing the partners into action than anything.
Agree about pushing the partners and the Germans in particular to get a grip. However, I vaguely remember the delta wing design in particular was German, just did a quick search (TKF-90 concept). BAE appeared to be opting towards the P110 design.

They are touch screens

That’s all well and good but when you’re up to your arrse in alligators you’re going to want to keep your controls to hand.

Just found the throttle on line:

63EAD06E-C1CA-4681-803E-1836CEF79675.jpeg
05357FC8-1D9C-43DF-9F2E-C89960D44E9C.jpeg
05357FC8-1D9C-43DF-9F2E-C89960D44E9C.jpeg
BCFFCFDE-8FCA-4498-88DE-FADB5EF8DC74.jpeg

Last edited:
How real are these rumours of cutting the buy of 140 Aircraft? I know we havnt signed up for them yet, but surely the only thing that has changed since we discussed 140 Aircraft is that China, Iran and Russia have become more assertive?

I think we could replace some of the F-35B with the F-35A to balance the fleet (i.e. force multipliers for the Tiffy) but I dont see 140 being a maximum buy, the next Aircraft might be a Tempest in 20+ years from now, there cant be many Typhoons left to build, fcuk knows what happened to NEURON and TARANIS and if they will emerge as a Loyal Wingman type and surely a Wingman would be better suited to a Stealth F-35 than a Typhoon due to the Lightenings sensors and stealth?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Agree about pushing the partners and the Germans in particular to get a grip. However, I vaguely remember the delta wing design in particular was German, just did a quick search (TKF-90 concept). BAE appeared to be opting towards the P110 design.
Yes, but see also the P.1121. Or the P.1216, if you want something really wild. We had all sorts out there.

The EAP was very firmly ours, though.

I'd not get hung up on mock ups, there's a lot of if them out there along with drawings of all sorts. BAe had drawings of cranked deltas. P110 was an option and there was talk of KSA cash available but....it doesn't matter.

EAP was built as it was due to cost and time constraints, the fin from the Fin proved up to job and we are where we are.

Last edited:
We need to be paring back the NHS so we can fund proper defence. Defence research is cutting edge and leads to very highly skilled jobs.

The NHS is now a sink hole of funds, meant to be a safety net for the British but completely abused by every other visitor to the uk leaving many British without (Dentists anyone?).

The welfare state is a sink hole of funds, meant to be a safety net for the British but now every foreign dosser and its dog can claim on the tax payer for not working.

I might add Legal Aid to this.

I vote we ask Mark Thatcher to build us a Supergun near any coastline to launch them and the families of the grabbing foreigners into the horizon.

How real are these rumours of cutting the buy of 140 Aircraft? I know we havnt signed up for them yet, but surely the only thing that has changed since we discussed 140 Aircraft is that China, Iran and Russia have become more assertive?

A minor pandemic which has devastated both government spending and tax receipts ring any bells? The next few years are about to make the post-Brown "I'm sorry there is no money left" period look like a spending bonanza.

Would I be right in thinking the last time a UK carrier had that many fast jets or indeed aircraft embarked was 1982

No. CVS took up to 16 FA2/GR7 on an infrequent basis right up until Herrick kicked in properly.

Would I be right in thinking the last time a UK carrier had that many fast jets or indeed aircraft embarked was 1982
Supersonic FJ at that.

We need to be paring back the NHS so we can fund proper defence. Defence research is cutting edge and leads to very highly skilled jobs.

The NHS is now a sink hole of funds, meant to be a safety net for the British but completely abused by every other visitor to the uk leaving many British without (Dentists anyone?).

The welfare state is a sink hole of funds, meant to be a safety net for the British but now every foreign dosser and its dog can claim on the tax payer for not working.

I might add Legal Aid to this.

I vote we ask Mark Thatcher to build us a Supergun near any coastline to launch them and the families of the grabbing foreigners into the horizon.
Not the thread for that mate, take it elswhere.

That’s all well and good but when you’re up to your arrse in alligators you’re going to want to keep your controls to hand.

Just found the throttle on line:

Second time I've read "up to your ass in alligators" today - you don't want to reaching for touch screens at 9G I reckon

A minor pandemic which has devastated both government spending and tax receipts ring any bells? The next few years are about to make the post-Brown "I'm sorry there is no money left" period look like a spending bonanza.

No. CVS took up to 16 FA2/GR7 on an infrequent basis right up until Herrick kicked in properly.

They didn't carry at lot else though, did they?

Last edited:
Second time I've read "up to your ass in alligators" today - you don't want to reaching for touch screens at 9G I reckon
You don’t want to be reaching for touch screens unless you are able to devote your attention to it since there is no tactile feedback. you know if a mechanical switch has been operated
Worse is the main reason to have a touchscreen button is to be able to change it. So you’d have to look at the button to confirm that it’s the one you want before pressing it.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
If the weather was right, they could carry a 1,000lb bomb, but not bring it back.

16 x SHAR - 16,000lbs of bombs on target
12 x F-35B - 72,000lbs of bombs on target
I think that @History_Man meant that with 12 SHARs on board there wasn't a lot of room for any other aircraft or helicopters, not the ordnance load.

The Queen Elizabeth can carry the F-35s it has on board and a lot more besides at the same time.

You don’t want to be reaching for touch screens unless you are able to devote your attention to it since there is no tactile feedback. you know if a mechanical switch has been operated
Worse is the main reason to have a touchscreen button is to be able to change it. So you’d have to look at the button to confirm that it’s the one you want before pressing it.
There's also voice recognition, limited I believe but useful all the same. The aircraft is built around giving situational awareness with head up

Latest Threads