Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F35 - Money well spent.

Who else in the world has a carrier that carries only 5th Gen strike aircraft?

Maybe the French?

No

Rafale is broadly comparable to Typhoon - with of course differrent optimisations.

I think even les Grenouilles only claim Gen 4.5

The Typhoon also has a Huge* radar for its size which can only bee a bonus in its role of air defender

The Rafales ha been criticized for being small as a result of the Carrier ops (visibility related to radome on landing) but whether its small or just small compared to Typhoon I dont know

* Wedging the F15 radar in an F18 as someone put it.

FM, that was impressive. Was it my imagination or did I see wing flex in those hard turns?
No, wings will flex under load. Next time you fly look at the wings, the amount of movement will surprise/alarm you.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A Typhoon can have it's moments...

Those outside loops are something you don't see in many displays - they're hard on the airframe and need a lot of grunt to shove the airframe round. Note how the Typhoon goes from an outside loop into a climb. You can't do that if you're already breathless. Note also the way that it effectively hangs in the air at some stages. That's thrust keeping it there, not the wings (at least, not wholly).

We scored a win getting Typhoon. Pull through the new AESA (oh, and give us the LERX and the conformal tanks, pleeeeeese...) and that plus F-35 is a very nice situation to be in.

I only hope we do the right thing in terms of numbers until Tempest or whatever comes along.

Last edited:
Long and with repetition in places but such a pretty sight. Taken a long time coming but she’s now got her teeth.

It was interesting to see the roll on landings from the front and close by.

The cross decking to this extent is a first, and a first in the collection of 5th gen on a single ship.

No

Rafale is broadly comparable to Typhoon - with of course differrent optimisations.

The Typhoon also has a Huge* radar for its size which can only bee a bonus in its role of air defender

The Rafales ha been criticized for being small as a result of the Carrier ops (visibility related to radome on landing) but whether its small or just small compared to Typhoon I dont know

I was fishing for our resident French Army expert. As everything made in France is awesome according to his fine self.

Thank you for the concise and informed post mate anyway.

Those outside loops are something you don't see in many displays - they're hard on the airframe and need a lot of grunt to shove the airframe round. Note how the Typhoon goes from an outside loop into a climb. You can't do that if you're already breathless. Note also the way that it effectively hangs in the air at some stages. That's thrust keeping it there, not the wings (at least, not wholly).

We scored a win getting Typhoon. Pull through the new AESA (oh, and give us the LERX and the conformal tanks, pleeeeeese...) and that plus F-35 is a very nice situation to be in.

I only hope we do the right thing in terms of numbers until Tempest or whatever comes along.
The RAF and RN are in a very nice place, forget about the E7 hyperbole on social media as 5 will be bought.
With the MH47G coming soon all that’s missing is the MC130. which will give DSF a warm fuzzy feeling.

4.5 Gen surely
HMS_DEFENDER_fires_her_4.5_inch_Mk_8_Mod_1_naval_gun_MOD_45157963.jpg

Apologies. Hat, coat, taxi etc....

No

Rafale is also a nice little number. Quite sexy as aircraft go.
Got a very good DASS too, and until we got going on getting the Typhoon qualified for carrying more varieties of bombs etc, was actually better at lugging bombs around and dropping them.
When you think that the French and the Swedes have produced cracking fighters on their lonesome, one wonders what we could do.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Rafale is also a nice little number. Quite sexy as aircraft go.
Got a very good DASS too, and until we got going on getting the Typhoon qualified for carrying more varieties of bombs etc, was actually better at lugging bombs around and dropping them.
When you think that the French and the Swedes have produced cracking fighters on their lonesome, one wonders what we could do.
With sufficient funding, as good as anything else out there.

BAE's REPLICA was what bounced us into the F-35 programme. We built a non-flying demonstrator that proved to the Americans that we could go it alone if we had to. Go further back to the EAP - a British undertaking in the main (okay, it used some bits off Tornado) which basically showed that we could have achieved Typhoon on our own.

I'd take a lot of pride in seeing the collective nerve being held and Tempest making it into squadron service.

EEE42844-7555-48F8-AAEC-CF738BD83F31.jpeg

I’d hate to think how many buttons/switches are on the HOTAS grips. Neatly covered up I see.
Are they not the cold weather mittens?

Humperdoo

Clanker
With sufficient funding, as good as anything else out there.

BAE's REPLICA was what bounced us into the F-35 programme. We built a non-flying demonstrator that proved to the Americans that we could go it alone if we had to. Go further back to the EAP - a British undertaking in the main (okay, it used some bits off Tornado) which basically showed that we could have achieved Typhoon on our own.

I'd take a lot of pride in seeing the collective nerve being held and Tempest making it into squadron service.
I was under the impression that the EAP design was originally German and the UK opted for a design that looked similar to the F-18?

I was under the impression that the EAP design was originally German and the UK opted for a design that looked similar to the F-18?
Nope. EAP was a tech demonstrator based on BAE designs, it was more about pushing the partners into action than anything.

Latest Threads