F35 - Money well spent.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There is a difference between the RHAG(?) type arrested landings and the forces involved on the hook and fuselage, and those associated in a carrier landing. Which means the carrier aircraft needs more structural strength. On the other hand the low speed performance should be improved.
Not necessarily. The F-16 and Typhoon are pretty damn good at low speed.

No production non naval F-18's.

A hook's fairly standard on a modern jet. F-35A has one, Typhoon, Tornado as well - no naval ops
I believe the emergency tailhooks are one time use items, not meant for routine use at short runways such as how Canada uses them with F-18s.

With 500 F-35s now flying Russia’s SU-57 Felon seems to be struggling and Russia still trying to find anyone interested in coming in on SU-57 production,

More has now become known of the crash of the very first production aircraft. Dec 24, 2019 the first production model Felon Su-57 Blue 01 took off from Dzemgi for an engine test flight. During the tests apparently the tail stabs locked into opposing positions and the fighter went out of control.

It corkscrewed down from 32,000ft while the pilot attempted to regain control. All attempts failed and he successfully ejected at 2,000ft at least proving that the Zvezda K-36D works.

Lockheed on the other hand has just handed over the 500th and totaled over 250,000 flight hours. 354 are F-35As, 108 are F-35Bs with short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) capability, and 38 Navy F-35Cs.

Last edited:

ECMO1

Old-Salt
What rotary wing aircraft can be carried at the same time? What number of jets can be carried by the non aviation adapted ships of that class?

Thanks for the link. The comments about LPDs controlling F-35B is interesting. I assume this means for air defence as opposed to CAS and so on? Would an Aegis cruiser more normally take control of fighters?
Every US amphib ship has some aviation capability, even if it just a landing area.

Normally every ship with an air search radar would also carry radar controllers, normally a mix of fast jet and helicopter qualified controllers. Never know when you might need a controller and Aegis tends to not be assigned with the amphibious forces. Additionally the Marine TACC or Navy NTACC with the associated Direct Air Support Center (DASC) would control jets doing CAS. It would depend on where they loaded the DASC, if the LPD could be capable of controlling jets doing CAS.

If you packed the LHD with F-35, then you would probably only have room for a couple of MH-60R/S for SAR and ASW. Since you aren’t planning on doing a landing, you don’t need all those MV-22, MH-53, AH-1Z and UH-1 mucking up the landing pattern. Could put a couple (probably AH-1 and UH-1s) on the other ships in the group, if they have a hangar.

I really . . . REALLY . . . do hope, that they do NOT have women manoeuvring and parking the jets onto those lifts !!
And you would be very disappointed.

Yokel

LE
Latest British F-35B cost reduction from first orders

Mark Francois, MP for Rayleigh and Wickford, asked:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the cost to the public purse is of (a) the F-35 programme and (b) each F-35 aircraft.”

Jeremy Quin, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, answered:

“The price of an F-35B from Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) Lot 11 which comprises the last finalised contract is $115 million. This covers airframe and engine cost and represents a 24% price reduction from our first aircraft ordered. We expect this downward trend to continue in future lots.

Costs of the overall Lightning Programme are set out in the Ministry of Defence Government Major Projects Portfolio data, 2019, which is available in the Library of the House.”

As the manufacturing processes mature costs come down.

For those who may have been concerned about those F35’s that were not going to Turkey, Japan has now moved into the second largest operator of the F35’s soaking up any potentially surplus units.

The addition of the F35B’s and upgrading of their two ‘Lightning Carriers’ will be a welcome addition to the countering of Chinese militarisation and aggressive expansion in the S China Seas, and bolstering the US’ s policy of confronting this.

Force multiplication F-35/F-22/X-37B.

The USAF X-37B spacecraft is heading of this month on another mission. There has been much secrecy over its previous trips but more details are being revealed this time.

But what has been interesting is the intended connection between the F-35 F-22 and the spacecraft...or rather, intended communication.

In the past, there has been years of the two 5th Gen fighters being 'no speaks’, due to the incompatibilities in the communications systems that could enable the sharing of data between the older F-22 and the F-35. But work on a gateway has been ongoing.

Now, the aim is not only those two being linked but also linked to the X-37B.

F35b’s exercising in 'beast mode’ of the USS Wasp in the S China sea, and US practising counter tactics in an area where stealth can be compromised by saturation radar coverage.

The only thing missing from that vid is 'Do you want to know more?' at the end.

In flight refuelling may be routine, but remains ‘not as easy as it sounds' as these RAF F-35’s demonstrate while taking fuel from a USAF KC-135.

I believe the emergency tailhooks are one time use items, not meant for routine use at short runways such as how Canada uses them with F-18s.
Any jet will get the horseshoe checked out after use. Biggest issue is the circumstances causing anyone to take the rhag or similar. Meanwhile, on the 20th....

For those who may have been concerned about those F35’s that were not going to Turkey, Japan has now moved into the second largest operator of the F35’s soaking up any potentially surplus units.

The addition of the F35B’s and upgrading of their two ‘Lightning Carriers’ will be a welcome addition to the countering of Chinese militarisation and aggressive expansion in the S China Seas, and bolstering the US’ s policy of confronting this.
Tora! Tora! Tora! Desu!

How many do the UK have now in terms of based at Marham and in the US?
3 at Edwards with 17(TES) Sqn.

15 at Marham with 207(R) and 617 Sqns. ca.17 more on contract, the first of which is under construction, and if not delayed, 3 more will arrive at Marham this year, with more next year and in 2022.

So far nothing is signed for beyond that.

ZW Clanger

Clanker
3 at Edwards with 17(TES) Sqn.

15 at Marham with 207(R) and 617 Sqns. ca.17 more on contract, the first of which is under construction, and if not delayed, 3 more will arrive at Marham this year, with more next year and in 2022.

So far nothing is signed for beyond that.
Cheers for this.
Serious question, as I’m no flier and was always in the mud. When we say a squadron- does the RAF have a volume of aircraft that makes up a squadron ie 12 per squadron etc? I have always been under the impression that this would be the case.
Sorry - i realise it’s daft!

Cheers for this.
Serious question, as I’m no flier and was always in the mud. When we say a squadron- does the RAF have a volume of aircraft that makes up a squadron ie 12 per squadron etc? I have always been under the impression that this would be the case.
It varies - for fast jet squadrons 12-14 has been the ballpark figure for some years now. There is no hard and fast number for what constitutes a unit having a 'numberplate'. With 92 Squadron (no aeroplanes); 23 Squadron (the space squadron, no aeroplanes) and 216 Squadron (swarming 'drones') Jeff Jefford's sage observation that a squadron is a squadron because the Air Force says it is' increasingly applies...

Cheers for this.
No. A typical RAF jet squadron these days (AFAIK) is 10-12 jets, however could be as few as no airplanes, the RAF in an effort to keep squadron numbers live splits different functions up and labels a unit as a squadron, even though they do not directly operate any aircraft. Other squadrons share aircraft, like the 9 P-8s that will have 2 (or 3)? squadron designations for different elements of the operation, such as training, operational, etc.

17(TES) Sqn at Edwards AFB has 3 F-35s. The other 12 are shared by 201(R) Sqn and 617 Sqn.

Latest Threads