F35 - Money well spent.

Yokel

LE
I thought the aircraft aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth were from 17 Sqn?

The FAA lightning bolt can be seen on the 736 NAS Hawk and I believe was previously worn by a Buccaneer squadron.

1571134446360.jpeg

Lt Russ Evans, Deputy Senior Aircraft Engineer for the Fixed Wing Force explains the new paint scheme: “It is a very subtle black and white paint scheme incorporating new tail fin livery which features the historic 736 Naval Air Squadron “Lightning Bolt".

You can get ties and so on with the same pattern. Not quite as striking as the Winged Fist of 899 NAS though.

BulbHead

Swinger
From what I've read, the trials are being run jointly by the FAA and 17 Sqn RAF with the aircraft coming from RAF Marham. IIRC, 17 Sqn and their aircraft are still doing development and trials work in the US so if the aircraft being used have come from Marham then they must be from 617 - hence the lightning bolt on the tail

I thought the aircraft aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth were from 17 Sqn?...
The jets are from both 17 and 617 I believe.

It may conceivably be a new Lightning Force insignia, particularly as the RAF has largely moved away from sqn markings. However, 617 have previous!

From what I've read, the trials are being run jointly by the FAA and 17 Sqn RAF
All our F-35 sqns are jointly manned.

Regards,
MM

It may conceivably be a new Lightning Force insignia, particularly as the RAF has largely moved away from sqn markings. However, 617 have previous!

Regards,
MM
The lightning bolt symbol on the F35 resembles the sample shown for 17 aircraft above, but not the very distinctive one of the 617 aircraft.

The lightning bolt symbol on the F35 resembles the sample shown for 17 aircraft above, but not the very distinctive one of the 617 aircraft.
Indeed, which is why it could well be a generic Lightning Force insignia as, like the Typhoon Force, jets tend increasingly to be ‘pooled’ and therefore be devoid of sqn markings.

Regards,
MM

Indeed, which is why it could well be a generic Lightning Force insignia as, like the Typhoon Force, jets tend increasingly to be ‘pooled’ and therefore be devoid of sqn markings.

Regards,
MM
Oh, and don't the spotters bleat about that! Sometimes it is hard to explain to them that we do not exist to entertain them and make their photo albums look nice.

Good, to me, article covering Drones and the Su-57. Interested to hear rebuttals...

Maybe would be more suited to a dedicated thread for future defence strategy (only joking) ?
Technically speaking, a load of pish. He writes Russia Stronk stuff for shits and giggles. Think I posted about him a couple of years ago.

Daniel Ivandjiiski - Wikipedia

TotalBanker

Old-Salt

Regards,
MM
Hi, I appreciate this is probably already clear to all but me, but this means for example if the entirety of say 617 (or any other number, this is all i can think of right now) sqn gets deployed somewhere, some of the pilots will be RAF and some RN? What was the reason that each service cant man their own sqns entirely?

...What was the reason that each service cant man their own sqns entirely?...
The Joint aspect of our F-35 sqns is primarily because the jets were procured to meet requirements from both services but that we could not afford to have a sqn of RN F-35s dedicated to the carriers, and a sqn of RAF F-35s dedicated to land ops.

However, the RN has struggled to recruit and retain sufficient FJ aircrew for many years; during the Sea Harrier era, probably around a third of the pilots were provided by the RAF. Another challenge for all 3 services today is MFTS capacity.

Regards,
MM

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Joint aspect of our F-35 sqns is primarily because the jets were procured to meet requirements from both services but that we could not afford to have a sqn of RN F-35s dedicated to the carriers, and a sqn of RAF F-35s dedicated to land ops.

However, the RN has struggled to recruit and retain sufficient FJ aircrew for many years; during the Sea Harrier era, probably around a third of the pilots were provided by the RAF. Another challenge for all 3 services today is MFTS capacity.

Regards,
MM
There's people on Twitter arguing that they are American jets and the RAF don't operate at sea.

BTW anyone know how to set up a Bot to auto reply "Air Inlet for the Lift Fan"

There's people on Twitter arguing that they are American jets and the RAF don't operate at sea.

BTW anyone know how to set up a Bot to auto reply "Air Inlet for the Lift Fan"
I thought the RAF only operated from runways next to 5 star hotels based on the comments...or was I wrong? ;)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I thought the RAF only operated from runways next to 5 star hotels based on the comments...or was I wrong? ;)
Within 5 miles of a 5 Star Hotel, don't want to be disturbed by those noisy jets

But in reality the RAF have been operating at sea for 100 years now

Within 5 miles of a 5 Star Hotel, don't want to be disturbed by those noisy jets

But in reality the RAF have been operating at sea for 100 years now
All those pesky noise regs huh? Though navy food fare from what I gather is much better anything else in the services.

Within the bounds of OPSEC, what does Lt Gen Basham (wonderfully appropriate name) mean here: "The F-15Cs are designed to set the stage for the B-2, whether using some type of stand-off weapon or even a direct attack weapon."

Stand-off weapons I can understand (is there anything that the F-15C and the -C in particular, not the -E can carry that the B-2 doesn't/can't?) but direct-attack seems counter-intuitive. The whole idea of the B-2 and stealth is being beyond reach; surely it's then better at first strike then the F-15? Or is it the F-15's kinetic performance that changes things?
I'd suggest that the reality is that the B2 is not undetectable, The F35's role is therefore to degrade the air defence systems before the B2's attempt to penetrate.

Latest Threads