F35 - Money well spent.

I can imagine after all the studies the F-35G (based on the F-35A and its enhancements) will become the Tempest.

Maybe it will take on the form of the Super Hornet being somewhat bigger than its little brother.
Meh. It might sell to KSA or to certain Latin American types...

f-35g.jpg

Id that the F-35G(old)?
Indeed.

The new variant, dubbed the F-35G, is proposed as an upgrade over existing F-35 models. In addition to 24K gold plating encasing its exterior, its cockpit is trimmed with wood grain paneling harvested from the endangered African blackwood tree and leather upholstery from the hide of the northern white rhinoceros. Its GAU-12/A 25mm rotary cannon is able to fire solid platinum rounds at a rate of 3300 per minute. Each round is handcrafted by a Swiss jeweler.

Yokel

LE
I thought somebody said the F-35B has no cannon? If not, then how......

F-35B gun crew successfully undertakes shipborne hot reload on USS Wasp

During the training flights, F-35B jets fired the 25mm cannon in coordination with MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft and a US Navy MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopters firing 7.62 mm machine guns to destroy the ‘killer tomato’, a large inflatable target used during live-fire exercises at sea.

Last edited:
Despite the wonder of modern missiles, far more accurate and reliable than the Vietnam war era, indeed, but I'd always want a gun.

I thought somebody said the F-35B has no cannon? If not, then how......

F-35B gun crew successfully undertakes shipborne hot reload on USS Wasp

During the training flights, F-35B jets fired the 25mm cannon in coordination with MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft and a US Navy MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopters firing 7.62 mm machine guns to destroy the ‘killer tomato’, a large inflatable target used during live-fire exercises at sea.
As others have pointed out, the "B" uses a gun pod.

The "A" (and I assume the "C" as well) has been the one with gun problems. To preserve stealth, there is a door over the gun port. When the pilot "pulls the trigger", the door opens, the gun fires, and then the door closes.

However, in testing they discovered that when the door opens this interferes with the air flow over the plane which shifts the direction the plane points in which then in turn throws off the aim. This results in unacceptably poor accuracy. They were trying to solve the problem by tweaking the software to compensate, but at the last I had read this wasn't doing the job.

I've no idea if this has been solved adequately yet. One proposed solution was to simply not use the internal gun and to use a gun pod instead ...

Speaking about the Flying Leathernecks , here are a couple of recent news extracts such as first female Flying Leatherneck F-35 pilot. She probably went to some university studying aerospace and graduating with degree and a CPL(H) in the Robbo R44.

And then there is the Corps first F-35C female pilot who is transitioning at NAS Lemoore.

Cheers

Yokel

LE
Now Japan announces it wants to buy the B variant for its Izumo helicopter carrier and act as air defense on the smaller islands where there is limited runway length.

cheers
Interesting - although it has been in the pipeline for years.The Republic of Korea wants to do the same. Standing up to Beijing's exertions?

The C also uses the pod.

Regards,
MM
Will the RN/RAF buy the 25mm gun pod?

Is the gun pod for air to air as much as air to surface roles? I know there were gun kills in the Falklands, but I assumed that was as the 1983 Sea Harrier could only carry two Sidewinders.

In Vietnam USN/USMC Phantoms never had cannon, but the replacement F-14 Tomcat did. The late Cdr John B Nichols USN (Rtd) claimed that the advantange the F-8 units had over their F-4 counterparts was the experience in getting close and going for a guns kills - which was not dissimilar to getting on the MiGs' six and firing a Sidewinder up his tailpipe.

...Will the RN/RAF buy the 25mm gun pod?...
I assume so.

...Is the gun pod for air to air as much as air to surface roles?...
Most are.

...In Vietnam USN/USMC Phantoms never had cannon...
I think the USMC May have but would need to check.

...The late Cdr John B Nichols USN (Rtd) claimed that the advantange the F-8 units had over their F-4 counterparts was the experience in getting close and going for a guns kills...
Yet very few F-8 guns kills were achieved and the weapons was notoriously unreliable.

Regards,
MM

Yokel

LE
Yet very few F-8 guns kills were achieved and the weapons was notoriously unreliable.

Regards,
MM
That was my point, or more strictly speaking Cdr Nichols' point. The F-8 types were used to energetic dogfighting, but the F-4 was not as it was assumed Sparrow would be used, at long range.

On that note, I remember being aboard HMS Illustrious breifly in late 2007, sitting in the Operations Room and listening to the Harrier GR7s doing 1 vs 1 ACM, whilst the French Navy Fighter Controller explained the difference between that between that and BVR engagements.

Last edited:
Gun pod - Yes. At present, I would ponder whether or not there will be many scenarios in which it'd be fitted, but those doing the planning are sensibly working on the notion that you can't fit gun pods you don't have to aeroplanes which require them.

USMC Phantoms used the Mk 4 pod with the Mk11 twin-barrel 20mm cannon; system aka 'HIPEG' [HIgh PErformance Gun]. See this (with rubbish photo reproduction); also

The pod proved unreliable, although VMFA-122 (I think it was) had an SNCO who was a genius with weapons and who managed to oversee the provision of pods which didn't jam after a few rounds; the squadron in question often flew with a three-pod fit (centreline and outer stations) with other ordnance on the inboards. Most other units gave the pod up as a bad job. The reliability - particularly if subject to stress of a carrier launch - was a key consideration in not fitting the pod to the USN F-4s as a response to the identified need for a gun in addition to AAMs.

Blogg

LE
Just had a long drive home. Therapeutic beer then bed but this caught my eye.

Bloody good pic. and about bloody time.

Yokel

LE
Just had a long drive home. Therapeutic beer then bed but this caught my eye.

Bloody good pic. and about bloody time.

That was last year! Last September as I recall. This year's West Atlantic deployment (which will the RN's major task group exercise of the year - apart from things like BALTOPS) will see UK jets embarked, instead of test ones from the integrated test task force.

The F-35B was flying in sea state six with fifty knot winds.

That was last year! Last September as I recall. This year's West Atlantic deployment (which will the RN's major task group exercise of the year - apart from things like BALTOPS) will see UK jets embarked, instead of test ones from the integrated test task force.

The F-35B was flying in sea state six with fifty knot winds.

I was going to say as we have guys working on the ship now and no one mentioned F35's would be landing right where they are working!!!

Latest Threads