F35 - Money well spent.

At the stage of conversion the Turks were at, they’d have barely touched tactical employment of the jet, if at all.

The Yanks are fairly canny (far more so than us) on protecting data.

Regards,
MM

If handing over the jet engine to the Russians by the Labor Government is anything to go by, thank goodness for that.
I assume you're talking about the Nene which subsequently powered the MiG-15, MiG-17 and Il-28.

That was indeed an act of treason in my view for which individuals should have received custodial sentences.

Regards,
MM

R0B

Old-Salt
I assume you're talking about the Nene which subsequently powered the MiG-15, MiG-17 and Il-28.

That was indeed an act of treason in my view for which individuals should have received custodial sentences.

Regards,
MM
It didn't go down well with our cousins across the pond when Russian MiG's stated shooting down their aircraft in Korea.

It didn't go down well with our cousins across the pond when Russian MiG's stated shooting down their aircraft in Korea.
Hey, we gave them all our jet engine technology as well so were even-handed!

Regards,
MM

Well - no, not really*, even if the Pilot and all the maintainers etc wore square rig, and wrote ROYAL NAVY all over the aircraft, the media would still refer to it as RAF!

*I was going to say as "as I have a life" but I do not.

**I was watching that old programme made aboard Ark Royal in 2010 not so long ago, and one of the RN Harrier GR9 drivers is now XO 617 Sqn.
That's the meeja for you.

Anything green & with tracks = Tank
Anything with wings = RAF

P&W have pulled out as have RR on their howe grown project, but obviously they have information on the F-135 engine as well as a substantial number of other aircraft systems and parts.

Alp Aviation over 100 F135 production engine parts including titanium integrated blade rotors.

Fokker Elmo was developing the EWIS for the F135 engine, for which a major share is produced in Fokker Elmo Turkey in Izmir.

Kale Aerospace established a joint venture in Izmir with Pratt & Whitney manufacturing production hardware for the F135 engine.

Turkey was been given the approval to build its own F135 engines and was selected to have the first European Regional F135 Engine depot overhaul capability. Both the engine production and overhaul were to take place at the 1st HIBM in Eskisehir.

Its not good, and all stuff the Russians will be very happy to hear. The ban was held off as long as possible. Now its damage limitation.

Regards,
MM
I read about it a few years ago, and still can't believe how you did it - considering the frostiness with the Soviets at the time..

Yokel

LE
The plan is that when a sqn Boss is RAF, his XO will be RN and vice versa.

Regards,
MM
Does that mean XO 207 Sqn will be dark blue? If 801 NAS has a light blue boss, will he use the term CO? What about the SENGO having a DAEO, or the AEO having a JENGO?

It was confusing enough seeing RN and RAF personnel, ranks, and job titles mixed in Harrier/CVS documentaries!

Does that mean XO 207 Sqn will be dark blue?
I assume so. However, I don't think the RN have many QFIs right now so you may find 207 is crustacean heavy on the aircrew side initially.

...If 801 NAS has a light blue boss, will he use the term CO? What about the SENGO having a DAEO, or the AEO having a JENGO?...
Freudian slip? I think you mean 809.

The engineer posts at least use RAF nomenclature.

Regards,
MM

Turkish response to the F-35 ban has been remarkably muted. Perhaps the news gave Erdogan a heart attack?
More Likely frantic diplomatic efforts to unphuck the situation, though too little, too late comes to mind.

Yokel

LE
I assume so. However, I don't think the RN have many QFIs right now so you may find 207 is crustacean heavy on the aircrew side initially.

Freudian slip? I think you mean 809.

The engineer posts at least use RAF nomenclature.

Regards,
MM
I think things may be different with 809 NAS! The boss will be called the CO etc etc. QRRN (BR2) actually lists the duties of a CO, AEO, and so on. As for QFIs - this months FTRS adverts include a requirement for a Light Fixed Wing QFI for 727 NAS.

801/809 - good to see you were paying attention! 809 NAS was reformed during the Falklands Conflict to transport aircraft down South aboard the MV Atlantic Conveyor. The Sea Harriers then split between 800 and 801 aboard the two carriers. They briefly formed post war.

A reminder that we need to think about unexpected crises demanding an all out effort?

Also the FTRS jobs bulletin lists a requirement for an SO2 Fighter Controller at the Maritime Warfare Centre, although F-35 is not mentioned in the description. The Freddies about HMS Queen Elizabeth have controlled Hawks pretending to be F-35B, so I imagine this is one of the serials that will be part of WESTLANT 19.

I think things may be different with 809 NAS! The boss will be called the CO etc etc. QRRN (BR2) actually lists the duties of a CO, AEO, and so on...
It doesn't really make sense to my mind for one of the sqns to use different post terminology to the others. Moreover, the Lightning Force works to HQ 1 Gp Air Staff Orders.

...As for QFIs - this months FTRS adverts include a requirement for a Light Fixed Wing QFI for 727 NAS...
That's for the equivalent of Elementary Flying Training or a University Air Squadron!

For a variety of reasons, the RN chose not to build FJ QFI numbers at Valley or Linton relatively speaking. Not all 207 Sqn posts will need a QFI tick, but I'd expect the sqn to be more heavily light blue than the front line sqns.

Regards,
MM

Yokel

LE
Not that it is important - but the Lt Cdr AEO with a rotary wing squadron will still be called 'the AEO' so using different terminology aboard the carrier will confuse future documentary makers.

The 727 NAS Training Officer blurb mentioned EFT duties. We seem to be short of WAFUs.

As for not growing QFI numbers, do you mean historically (Sea Harrier/Harrier GR days), or post SDSR when keep the jet jockeys au fait with carrier operations (and operational flying) was the priority - and for a while we seemed to be heading to a CTOL future?

...As for not growing QFI numbers, do you mean historically (Sea Harrier/Harrier GR days), or post SDSR when keep the jet jockeys au fait with carrier operations (and operational flying) was the priority - and for a while we seemed to be heading to a CTOL future?
Post SDSR and RN priorities definitely lay with USN and USMC FA-18, AV-8B and 736 Sqn which is all very well as far as carrier ops right up to the point at which you then look for where the next generation are coming from.

In my view, an effective balance was not struck.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads