F35 - Money well spent.

If the 35 is hovering a Merlin could hover over it drop a matelot down with a hose and fill it up.

Some solutions are the simplist
Or use a version of HIFR from a task group ship...

I renumber reading an article in some Falklands anniversary piece that suggested that somebody had the idea of using Sea Kings to extended the Sea Harrier's time on CAP, presumably by carrying a tank of fuel and some sort of hose and drogue. The problem is the Sea King had a limited altitude and speed, even compared with a V/STOL aircraft.

Chinook is a lot faster, has a greater altitude, and a lot more physical space, and the QEC can carry them comfortably, but it would still be a mad idea. Not really needed for STOVL, and not that useful for offensive packages.

**** that shit. I did a few 10 K ruck runs and that sucked enough shit. I would rather the Brits teach me how to drink beer like a proper man...
I hate that shit too...but guess what saved the Brits in Falklands when most of their transports ended up in the water? Yep - yomping/ tabbing....

And I can teach you to drink...;)

It depends...Beer is my weakness now as it is a social drink. My strength is whisky.
Give me bourbon and wine any day - not the usual beer drinker anymore. Surprisingly, I don't really get drunk off bourbon but do get drunk if I have Scotch. Weird. Anyways, we are thread drifting too much..

Or use a version of HIFR from a task group ship...

I renumber reading an article in some Falklands anniversary piece that suggested that somebody had the idea of using Sea Kings to extended the Sea Harrier's time on CAP, presumably by carrying a tank of fuel and some sort of hose and drogue. The problem is the Sea King had a limited altitude and speed, even compared with a V/STOL aircraft.

Chinook is a lot faster, has a greater altitude, and a lot more physical space, and the QEC can carry them comfortably, but it would still be a mad idea. Not really needed for STOVL, and not that useful for offensive packages.
Chinook has a lifting capacity of about 15,000KG and a 35 weighs roughly 13,500kg Suspend the 35 under the Woka for take off and you save that much fuel. I should be paid for this!

If the 35 is hovering a Merlin could hover over it drop a matelot down with a hose and fill it up.

Some solutions are the simplist
Mmm. ..

The Lynx had an internal pressure refuelling nozzle in the rear of the cabin. No use to us Army chasps but if a Navy winch-equipped Lynx found itself short of fuel but unable to land - baulked deck etc - it could winch up a refuelling hose and take on motion lotion.

Don’t know if it was ever used in anger.

Mmm. ..

The Lynx had an internal pressure refuelling nozzle in the rear of the cabin. No use to us Army chasps but if a Navy winch-equipped Lynx found itself short of fuel but unable to land - baulked deck etc - it could winch up a refuelling hose and take on motion lotion.

Don’t know if it was ever used in anger.
Yes - Helicopter In Flight Refueling. Seen here with an ASW Merlin:

This is a Canadian Sea King but you get the idea.

During the Falklands war, ASW Sea Kings from the two carriers often took part in focused submarine hunts, working with frigates which used HIFR to refuel them.

Last edited:
Yes - Helicopter In Flight Refueling. Seen her with an ASW Merlin:

This is a Canadian Sea King but you get the idea.

During the Falklands war, ASW Sea Kings from the two carriers often took part in focused submarine hunts, working with frigates which used HIFR to refuel them.

All for using HIFR considering who i work for make them! Awesome idea, should buy more of them!!!

An acquaintance of mine is a former deckie on Lusty who tells me tales of hot refuelling Sea Kings "because if you turned the bl**dy thing off it would probably not start again".

Might the F-35 get some form of conformal tanks at a later date? I believe that the tranche 3 Typhoon is fitted for but not with conformal tanks which if fitted might help the Canadian bid as they would cover a lot more ground.

Might the F-35 get some form of conformal tanks at a later date? I believe that the tranche 3 Typhoon is fitted for but not with conformal tanks which if fitted might help the Canadian bid as they would cover a lot more ground.
Very difficult to integrate conformal tanks to a stealth design without compromise of the basic stealth characteristics.

An acquaintance of mine is a former deckie on Lusty who tells me tales of hot refuelling Sea Kings "because if you turned the bl**dy thing off it would probably not start again".
I would suggest that HIFR is a sub-optimal version of hot refuelling that you only do if you can't fit on the deck that's going to give you the gas.

Potentially. However, the various doors and intakes on the upper fuselage of the F-35B may complicate or preclude integration on our variant.

In terms of Typhoon, I believe you're correct that Tranche 3 is fitted for and some 'fit and form' mockups have already occurred...if only for airshows!

However, I'd say it's fairly certain we'll see CFTs on Typhoon eventually.

Regards,
MM

I would suggest that HIFR is a sub-optimal version of hot refuelling that you only do if you can't fit on the deck that's going to give you the gas.

Potentially. However, the various doors and intakes on the upper fuselage of the F-35B may complicate or preclude integration on our variant.

In terms of Typhoon, I believe you're correct that Tranche 3 is fitted for and some 'fit and form' mockups have already occurred...if only for airshows!

However, I'd say it's fairly certain we'll see CFTs on Typhoon eventually.

Regards,
MM
That photo sent me off into a quick search as to why the Whitcomb Area Rule is no longer relevant

OT but the USMC are looking very closely at the RM approach to fitness...
The USMC is becoming more and more British these days...all the way from integrating the aircraft with the QEs and other things....it's almost like they want to diverge away from the usual U.S. strategy and take advantage of what the cash strapped UK can offer..