F35 - Money well spent.

I would have thought that the main use for drop tanks on an F-35B would have been to provide extended range for ferrying.

In that case, what about tanks in the internal weapons bay?

I would have thought that the main use for drop tanks on an F-35B would have been to provide extended range for ferrying.

Sorry, no. Tanks are useful for ‘ferrying’ but their real role is to increase both combat effective range and crucially, loiter time.

Internal tanks just would not be practical as they would be relatively small capacity and would stop weapon carriage.

Some in the RN would probably love to get their hands on V-22 for a variety of reasons such as COD and AAR. The trouble is:

1. We're broke.
2. We don't have enough people.
3. A 'recovery tanker' is of far less relevance to a STOVL type in comparison to a cat/trap type.
4. Even several organic tankers - of any sort - lack the capacity to properly support a meaningful package; only 'big wing' tankers can do that such as KC-135, KC-30 and KC-46.
5. Merlin and Chinook can probably do 80% of the COD task.
6. We're broke.
7. We don't have enough people.

So, which capability would you chop in order to buy, support and operate even a handful of MV-22s? More ships? Wildcat, Merlin or F-35 numbers? The RM?

I think the RN would be barking mad to procure V-22; a more pragmatic option would be to hope the USMC or USN will deploy MV or CMV-22s to a QEC if required.

Regards,
MM
All perfectly valid points MM, but the option is still being revisited. Someone is concerned enough to want to look at the issue again.

As @Paddy Mayne’s Ghost states, drop tanks are pretty much essential for all fast jets on ops; without them, they're even more reliant upon AAR support. In the F-35B's case, it's limited to only 450nm clean. While that's not too different to an F-16 or Typhoon, these will normally carry drop tanks which sees their combat radius roughly doubled. Meanwhile, ferry trips are normally done with additional or larger tanks.

Therefore, it's disappointing that it appears F-35B will be unable to carry underwing tanks. An auxiliary fuel tank could probably be carried in the weapons bays but this would require the bays to be plumbed for a relatively small uplift in fuel which would also preclude internal weapons carriage.

All perfectly valid points MM, but the option is still being revisited. Someone is deluded enough to want to look at the issue again.
FOC! :)

Seriously, I can probably think of about a dozen things the RN needs right now more than a new support and training system for a handful of V-22 of fairly limited utility.

Regards,
MM

There was actually such a concept proposed for the Spitfire. It was essentially a twin-boom thing that attached at the wings just inboard from the ailerons. One of my books has an artist's impression but I can't find it on line although I bet @Archimedes can!

The Luftwaffe also tried it in WWII on an He117 and several other types.
Then clearly my WAFU sources are misinformed... ;)
Or it's wishful thinking!

Regards,
MM

I very much doubt it; the EE Lightning tanks limited manoeuvrability, increased fatigue and were rarely used until the final years (when nobody cared about fatigue) other than for transits. Moreover, the plumbing would still have to be routed near the wing exhausts.

Regards,
MM
Thanks for the information, good to know. I know it's a different thing but were there any issues with the Jaguar overwing Sidewinder installation do you know?

Thanks for the information, good to know. I know it's a different thing but were there any issues with the Jaguar overwing Sidewinder installation do you know?
Not as far as I know; but of course that’s a lot less weight balance on your wings.

Osprey to Begin Refueling Tests Next Year

Any chance you folks could eventually go for this?? The Osprey would be a nice edition to the QM class carriers.
Flick back a page.

Regards,
MM

In a perfect world, I’d love to see V-22 on the QEC.

Unfortunately, UK Defence is not in a good place.

Regards,
MM

That's a towed wing rather than a tank; though - it was trialled on a Miles Magister at some point. The idea was akin to the Hilson Slip wing on the Hurricane

with the idea being that the aircraft would carry a heavier load and then jettison the towed wing when at normal operating weight.