F35 - Money well spent.

Reminds me of being told not to photograph U2s practicing coast and burn over Akrotiri as they weren't there.
....Despite everyone being deafened by the buggers and them being big and painted black.
I liked the t-shirts some of the Ground Staff used to wear that read .. "If I'm not here then where the **** am I ??"

This will make the largest F-35 operator outside the US. There has also been talk of a joint effort between the US/LM and japan on a 5/6th gen aircraft incorporation technology from LM’s experience both with the F-22 and F-35. Japan had been extremely keen to get the F-22.
US Offers Japan Access to F-35 Code for New Stealth Fighter
Japan's New Stealth Fighter: A Hybrid Mix of the F-22 and F-35?

It would be interesting to see if the RAF/ Bae / MOD are contemplating working with the Japanese on combining the X-2 with Tempest as a future platform. There have been a few odd comments from various quarters that this is being mooted, so perhaps there might be some substance to it?

I believe it has already been discussed on this thread why Japan is buying the F-35 at this time. They had their own new fighter program in the works for years. Various Japanese companies had partnered up with foreign partners to deliver on various proposals. The F-35/F-22 hybrid was one of these. It was probably never a realistic proposal.

However it dragged on so long and the price had risen so high that it was eventually dropped for budget and timing reasons. Timing became an especially critical issue because they have a number of planes which are getting increasingly old and have to be replaced. Time had run out so they had to find an off the shelf replacement.

The Japanese still want to develop a new fighter, but the time line has been pushed off some time to the future now that they have decided on an off the shelf design to fill the gap. This new future fighter is the one they are talking about doing as a joint development with the UK. A big part of the Japanese interest in the project has to do with wanting Japanese companies to be in on the ground floor of the design in order to further their design skills as part of an industrial benefits program.

Poland has submitted a formal request to the US for the procurement of 32 x F-35As to replace their Soviet era MiG-29s and Su-22M.

Although it's not clear whether this is a request for 'price and availability' or whether it's a request which, if approved, will lead to an order is not clear. Either way, I think the F-35A is an obvious choice for Poland given Russian A2AD have the potential to impose over significant portions of Polish airspace.

This would eventually make Poland the thirteenth country (including Turkey) and its air force the seventeenth service to operate the type.

Regards,
MM

Poland has submitted a formal request to the US for the procurement of 32 x F-35As to replace their Soviet era MiG-29s and Su-22M.

Although it's not clear whether this is a request for 'price and availability' or whether it's a request which, if approved, will lead to an order is not clear. Either way, I think the F-35A is an obvious choice for Poland given Russian A2AD have the potential to impose over significant portions of Polish airspace.

This would eventually make Poland the thirteenth country (including Turkey) and its air force the seventeenth service to operate the type.

Regards,
MM
Our Russian friends are going to love that....

Our Russian friends are going to love that....
They can dry their eyes and practice getting used to it with Norway! :)

Regards,
MM

I can’t help wondering how accurate the report is. If it were my call I would finish recovery, then say this and smile as the Russians/Chinese spend a fortune trying to covertly recover a ghost.
I hope you’re correct.

However, it’s highly likely that Russia in particular will have been observing activity so will know exactly how much has and has not been retrieved.

Regards,
MM

Time for some wire guided torpedo practice??
Even tiny components such as a compute board or LRU could still provide exceptional intelligence to Moscow on, for instance, defensive aids programmes or secure comms crypto.

I also suspect the wreckage will be considerably below what a torpedo can reach. Hopefully, it’s also below what can be feasibly recovered by the Russians or Chinese.

Regards,
MM

One could have a great deal of fun leaving a bunch of different stuff down there, having recovered all the good stuff and saying you didn’t.

One could have a great deal of fun leaving a bunch of different stuff down there, having recovered all the good stuff and saying you didn’t.
Indeed. Unfortunately, ‘...most of the aircraft...[is]...unaccounted for...’. Hopefully that means the debris is in an inaccessible location rather than the fact that Russia got there first!

Regards,
MM

Mind you , the corrosive effects of seawater etc over time will reduce electronics boards and components with their combination of reactive metals to a congealed lump. For all we know the aircraft might have crash sensors that blow the chipsets on piling in.

Even tiny components such as a compute board or LRU could still provide exceptional intelligence to Moscow on, for instance, defensive aids programmes or secure comms crypto.

I also suspect the wreckage will be considerably below what a torpedo can reach. Hopefully, it’s also below what can be feasibly recovered by the Russians or Chinese.

Regards,
MM

During the Cold War, the United States put time and effort into technology for recovering items from the seabed for intelligence (or indeed counter intelligence) purposes. I imagine that this has continued post Cold War.

Russian and China do not have the same underwater technology as the West - remember when the Russian mini sub got caught and teams from the UK and US scrambled to help?

I think mine hunting sonar and mine disposal systems are of more interest than torpedoes. @Dunservin might be able to comment.

Last edited:
During the Cold War, the United States put time and effort into technology for recovering items from the seabed for intelligence (or indeed counter intelligence) purposes...
Which they noted and learnt from, particularly, I suspect, Project AZORIAN.

They’re also very aware of the West’s reliance on undersea cables and the importance of our Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS; link provided to show official open source reference).

...Russian and China do not have the same underwater technology as the West - remember when the Russian mini sub got caught and teams from the UK and US scrambled to help?...
Perhaps not China but Russia do; even after the Kursk, I suspect they have higher priorities than submarine rescue. You may wish to google the folllowing submarine classes and sub-variants, paying particular note where it’s available of the materials used in their construction and operating depths:

Losharik.
Kashalot.
Podmoskovye.
Belgorod.
Paltus.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
The initial USMC F-35C sqn, VMFA-314 is starting conversion from the FA-18C/D.

In addition to over 350 STOVL F-35Bs, the USMC will also receive 67 of the F-35C variant more normally associated with USN ‘cat and trap’ ops. The USMC F-35Cs will augment USN sqns on USN CVNs.

Regards,
MM