F35 - Money well spent.

We need to be a little careful before using such evangelistic language. It doesn't matter how many F-35Bs your LHA has embarked; it still won't have organic Air C2ISR or several other enablers (which even a CVN often has to look elsewhere for).
Point taken, I do tend to wax lyrical with limited knowledge.

An interesting paper is out on exploring new concepts for Air Command & Control and Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance related to F-35 employment in the RAAF and RNLAF by Lieutenant-Colonel Bart A. Hoeben Royal Netherlands Air Force published and distributed by: Air Power Development Centre F3-G, Department of Defence Canberra AUS.

You might find it interesting if not already familiar. Tried to give a link but seemed to have trouble doing that here, so sent link via conversation.

Last edited:
Swings lamp.....

When I was at school (primary!), one of our neighbours went to boarding school and was in the CCF. He talked of seeing films in which Sappers would lay metal taxiways etc for Harrier - I presume this was supposed to be somewhere in the German countryside, or perhaps an urban site?

Are expeditionary airfields still of interest? Could this be of interest to the RAF?

Raytheon demo land-based version of ship landing system

The more options HM Forces have, the more they can deter.

...Are expeditionary airfields still of interest? Could this be of interest to the RAF?...
There are several expeditionary locations in use today. However, we already have a number of deployable precision approach and tactical ATC systems.

Regards,
MM

The biggest obstacle to any ‘Crowsnest’ procurement by the USMC would probably be the USN E-2D community who would be wary of it diverting money from their platform.

Regards,
MM
Nah. The biggest obstacle would be - it's not a U.S. thing. End of. The AV8 and a couple of other things have been rare exceptions, at the right time when then there was nothing else in the cupboard.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does this mean you will rename the 2nd ship? You could call her the HMS Chesty Puller, and Marine aviation would have a hard on for the ship!
Nah, but we will be repainting all USMC aircraft with new HM Colonial Marines markings and issuing new Squadron badges for them.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have not heard about the AAR between the two.
Not much available out there, but scuttlebutt is Royal repeatedly drove off larger USMC formations throughout, eventually only succumbing when the USMC overwhelmed them with massively superior numbers.

I wonder if @jumpinjarhead can provide more info?

Not much available out there, but scuttlebutt is Royal repeatedly drove off larger USMC formations throughout, eventually only succumbing when the USMC overwhelmed them with massively superior numbers.

I wonder if @jumpinjarhead can provide more info?

I wonder if the Marines were allowed to use all their assets. The RM’s are good light infantry, but a good fire mission can really hurt them.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wonder if the Marines were allowed to use all their assets. The RM’s are good light infantry, but a good fire mission can really hurt them.
They had the advantage of the urban terrain from what I hear, I reckon there is some overegging of the pudding though.

They had the advantage of the urban terrain from what I hear, I reckon there is some overegging of the pudding though.
There always will be, and being the defender can be very advantageous. However the RM are also able to simulate a high end opponent like the Chinese. But to be honest you are about the only country on that side that can show up and play.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There always will be, and being the defender can be very advantageous. However the RM are also able to simulate a high end opponent like the Chinese. But to be honest you are about the only country on that side that can show up and play.
Don't underestimate the Froggies, punchy determined feckers the lot of them.

Depends on defensive positions and all that. Good, prepared positions can cause a helluva lot of problems for assaulting troops.
Look on the bright side, the USMC would have looked at that and gone "hey, what if it was us instead of the Royals defending against a heavier formation of enemy, what did the Brits do that we can emulate/do better ? And how do we beat ourselves at this ?" All sorts of reports and critiques are going to come out of this, which is good for all. What's needed is more exercises like this. Even if you loose badly, its casualty free and you learn lots.
Like @rampant says, the Frogs will be good to pay attention to as well. They have considerable experience in places like Africa in motorised warfare over long distances at the light end of the scale. Not every place needs loads of Abrams and F18's beating the place up.

Last edited:
Depends on defensive positions and all that. Good, prepared positions can cause a helluva lot of problems for assaulting troops.
Look on the bright side, the USMC would have looked at that and gone "hey, what if was us instead of the Royals defending against a heavier formation of enemy, what did the Brits do that we can emulate/do better ? And how do we beat ourselves at this ?" All sorts of reports and critiques are going to come out of this, which is good for all. What's needed is more exercises like this. Even if you loose badly, its casualty free and you learn lots.
Like @rampant says, the Frogs will be good to pay attention to as well. They have considerable experience in places like Africa in motorised warfare over long distances at the light end of the scale. Not every place needs loads of Abrams and F18's beating the place up.
True, but we also need to go back to the weapons free mindset. If we have the assets you use them, arty, air, etc.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
True, but we also need to go back to the weapons free mindset. If we have the assets you use them, arty, air, etc.
Big lesson coming out of the Ukraine is the role Arty, battery & counter battery fire and digging deep.

I expect quite a few exercises on Salisbury Plain to have a theme tune of groans as squaddies hear the motivational order to Dig to Stage 3

That's not always possible, theres only so much to go around even on big carriers, and the log chains can get really involved, plus there's limits to what you can deploy. look at the Tet offensive and the attempts to retake ground.
You could have turned B52's loose, but at what cost ? The US is going to have do stuff leaner and smarter than ever before, that why they are looking around and wondering how they can defeat tier one or lower without deploying half the damn corps and the US X fleet to restore joy to Shittistan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke MoD News 3
2/51 The Intelligence Cell 49
schwarzie Tanks, planes & ships 46