F35 - Money well spent.

...If we can only get Wedgetail sorted...

[Walks away with innocent look on face...]
Wedgetail is fine.

It’s our National budget that needs sorting!

Regards,
MM

I had a die cast model of the P1B Lightning as a nipper. It was indestructible.
The last truly British fighter aircraft. As exciting in its day as the F35 is today, albeit for very different reasons. :)

As in dicing with death even if you didn't meet the enemy? :p
Indeed, it was a bit quick for the time. Designed as a pure interceptor at the time I believe?

Unless it's a digital recreation of a photograph - the photo appears in a publication dating back to 1996 (yes, I am sad enough to have it on my shelf...).
I couldn't see any simmer giving the jockey a bone dome.

F 35s to Cyprus ?
Not sure how close we are to full integration of weapons yet. But this story may have legs.
The Cyprus det has been on the cards for some time and has now evidently been mentioned by the Secretary of State.

Our F-35Bs already have ASRAAM, AMRAAM and Paveway 4 integrated. That’s not exactly a very flexible range of options, particularly for A-G but other weapons such as SPEAR will be integrated in coming years. It’s pretty standard for aircraft to enter service with a limited range of weapons so it’s also no reflection on the F-35.

However, the F-35Bs will still usefully augment the Typhoons (who have now assumed the GR4’s Storm Shadow and Dual Mode Brimstone capability), not least due to the additional situational awareness they bring to the party.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

cookie65

Old-Salt
Thanks MM, whilst I appreciate that the F35 is multi role and will eventually replace Typhoon, It strikes me as ironic that we still require two different MR types over Syria. Unless sending F35s is a matter of dropping PW4s in order to build confidence in the aircraft.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks MM, whilst I appreciate that the F35 is multi role and will eventually replace Typhoon, It strikes me as ironic that we still require two different MR types over Syria. Unless sending F35s is a matter of dropping PW4s in order to build confidence in the aircraft.
Already done with Typhoon and Tornado.

...I appreciate that the F35 is multi role and will eventually replace Typhoon...
There are no plans for F-35 to replace Typhoon (or for that matter Eurofighters in Italian service).

Unless sending F35s is a matter of dropping PW4s in order to build confidence in the aircraft.
The USMC have already done exactly this in Afghanistan.

Regards,
MM

Replaces Tornado not Typhoon, Tempest will be the Typhoon replacement.

Surely putting it in a combat environment with the ability to crawl about the fringes would be an opportunity too good to pass up when introducing a new asset? It doesn’t need to drop a weapon to assist in developing tactics in a modern day combat scenario with Russian weapons.

The Cyprus det has been on the cards for some time and has now evidently been mentioned by the Secretary of State.

Our F-35Bs already have ASRAAM, AMRAAM and Paveway 4 integrated. That’s not exactly a very flexible range of options, particularly for A-G but other weapons such as SPEAR will be integrated in coming years. It’s pretty standard for aircraft to enter service with a limited range of weapons so it’s also no reflection on the F-35.

However, the F-35Bs will still usefully augment the Typhoons (who have now assumed the GR4’s Storm Shadow and Dual Mode Brimstone capability), not least due to the additional situational awareness they bring to the party.

Regards,
MM
Given the SPEAR 3 itself isn’t even in service yet, it’s probably a fair call that it isn’t integrated on F-35 yet!

If there’s an operation need in the next few years - and assuming they beat us to it in terms of integration - I wouldn’t be surprised to see a small purchase of SDB.

We’ve decided not to integrate Brimstone - presumably because it’s already carried by Typhoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the SPEAR 3 itself isn’t even in service yet, it’s probably a fair call that it isn’t integrated on F-35 yet!
Which is why I said it would be integrated in coming years!

If there’s an operation need in the next few years - and assuming they beat us to it in terms of integration - I wouldn’t be surprised to see a small purchase of SDB.
Never say never but I suspect it’s unlikely; if we need low collateral effects we can either exploit flexible fusing options on PW4, task a Tiff with DMSB or leave it for another coalition asset.

We’ve decided not to integrate Brimstone - presumably because it’s already carried by Typhoon.
That and money I cost/benefit.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads